Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

ecx ruckus upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 02:00 PM
NikitaNoel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ecx ruckus upgrades?

My husband recently bought the 2wd ecx ruckus and loves it, so for christmas i was wanting to get some upgrades for him. If I ask him too many questions he will get suspicious so I was hoping somebody on here could help me figure out the best stuff to get him. I am very new to all this so sorry if i sound ignorant. He has an 8.2v lipo battery, everything else is stock. I was looking to get him a brushless motor, checked out the sv3 sidewinder 12v waterproof esc if anybody has any input on weather that is the best choice or not, i also need to know what gearing ratio he would need to be at in order for that to work best. Need to know what cooling fan would fit best or if one is even really needed, and i couldnt find much on it but is there a 4x4 conversion kit, if there is what all would i need to get to make that work best. Any input is greatly appreciated thank you.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:30 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sorry, no 4x4 conversion for that truck.

The SV3 sidewinder is a decent system that will work well. the traxxas vxl system is also good (make sure it is the vxl3s)
The ruckus is light, either of those systems will work without having to add a fan.

You can likely use the stock gearing if you choose a motor in the 3000-3500kv range. A motor in that range (kv is like RPM's per volt) should work with the stock gearing. And I almost think the ruckus came with 2 different pinion gears to use.

does his ruckus have a radio with a long metal antenna....or a radio with a small black plastic antenna?
Old 11-29-2014, 05:44 PM
NikitaNoel

Small black plastic antenna.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:21 PM
NikitaNoel

So would going brushless at that kv make it significantly faster or should I look at something a little higher if i want to make a noticeable difference?
Old 11-29-2014, 07:53 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

small black plastic antenna is good...should mean it is a newer version that has metal transmission gears. Plus, that radio wont get interference from a brushless system.

If you go with around a 3500kv brushless system you will see a speed increase, both in acceleration and top speed. Generally about 5mph more top speed. The runtime on a battery will also be a bit longer due to the brushless motor being more efficient.

You could go with a higher kv motor, and this can result in a higher top speed. But re-gearing it may be needed and some higher KV motors don't give you the option of using a 11.1v lipo. The lipo he has is rated at 7.4v (8.4v when fully charged) either system mentioned on a 7.4v lipo will get you around 35-40mph top speed. But with a 3500ish kv motor, he would have the option of later buying a 11.1v lipo...in which case the speed would jump up to around 55mph (could be higher since with more voltage you can gear up some)
The sidewinder with a higher kv motor is often used by many, but I have had 100's of trucks and found that the 3500ish kv motors seem to have the best over-all performance. It is often easier to gear them to run safe temps.

The sidewinder is a good system. The traxxas vxl system is a tad bit easier to install as the ESC programing takes less time (there are less settings that can be adjusted) Either system will provide good power. I personally have had better luck with the Traxxas system than the sidewinder (or clones of it)
Old 11-29-2014, 08:37 PM
NikitaNoel

Ok i will check out the Traxxas, and will probably end up going with the 3000-3500kv. Thank you so much. He just came in the house tonight and said his motor burnt out so it may end up being an early christmas gift haha.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:41 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

yep, stock motors will burn up faster on a 2s lipo that he uses.
Brushless motors last much longer (no brushes to get worn down or broken)
He will love it more with a brushless system. It will be like a car going from using regular gas to using racing fuel
Old 11-29-2014, 08:58 PM
NikitaNoel

Haha Perfect that is exactly what i was hoping for
Old 11-30-2014, 02:42 PM
robwiljas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not get the Traxxas VXL system. It's a basic system with no adjustability and it costs just as much or more than much better systems. I've owned several VXLs and the Castle systems are so much better. I have an ECX boost which is basically a buggy version of the Ruckus with a Castle SideWinder 3 4600Kv system on stock gearing. For the Ruckus I would go with that and gear it down a little, or a even better a Castle Sidewinder 3 SCT 3800Kv system. The SCT system is available in two shaft sizes, make sure you get the smaller one, not the 5mm one as there aren't many 5mn pinions that would work with the Ruckus gears.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:01 PM
MP5k

I have 2 ruckuses
And a torment
And would not hesitate to run the castle system. ...
I have the 3800 kv castle 1410 motor and ESC COMBO
The esc comes with a fan ....
He will have plenty of speed Esspecially if he's used to the crap factory motor
He will Havta Learn how NOT to make it do backflips.
It will ride wheelies when ever he wants .....
Trust me ......
I was very new to this and after I bought the castle system there was no looking
Back
Get him a package of 5 different gears and let him experiment with gearing
they are cheap
Plus!!!!! Castle also has this lil deal called the castle link
He can hook his laptop to the CASTLE ESC and change parameters like throttle curve
And braking ......
You / he will not be disappointed with the castle system
One thing I will warn is.....
This motor and esc combo put enuf power down that
I promise you he will probably very quickly snap the plastic drive shafts
I use monster max metal shafts and don't have any problems any more ....
My 4 yr old ran his this evening with venom lipos and we had a blast
Good luck !!!!
Old 12-01-2014, 08:08 AM
NikitaNoel

Thank you
Old 12-01-2014, 04:10 PM
aminnich

Just to give you a full upgrade example. I have the 2wd truck, with a tazer 4000 kv brushless motor, a venom 5000 25c lipo battery, and the aluminum shocks from ecx. Love the truck
Old 12-08-2014, 11:24 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I just seen a RPM steering bellcrank is now being made for the ECX line up of 2wds. I have seen some minor issues with the steering on multiple forums. People were putting T4/B4 servp savers on their ECX vehicles. RPM to the rescue.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:27 PM
MP5k

I have the B4 servo saver on my ecx vehicles
HUGE difference in steering/handling! !
Old 03-12-2016, 03:49 PM
67Stingrayj

Bump.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:43 PM
67Stingrayj

Originally Posted by MP5k
I have the B4 servo saver on my ecx vehicles
HUGE difference in steering/handling! !
MP5k

Do you have any words of wisdom for me? I too have a ruckus and want to improve the steering. I read a few other places that there are some aftermarket servo savers and/or servo eliminators, but I'm not sure what direction to go. I primarily use my truck for bashing, but perhaps a little better steering would encourage me to venture into unknown territory.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:19 AM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by 67Stingrayj
MP5k

Do you have any words of wisdom for me? I too have a ruckus and want to improve the steering. I read a few other places that there are some aftermarket servo savers and/or servo eliminators, but I'm not sure what direction to go. I primarily use my truck for bashing, but perhaps a little better steering would encourage me to venture into unknown territory.
There are many threads on this subject. If it was me I'd grab a burly servo and the RPM servo saver eliminator. Yahoo! search found many threads.

Last edited by RustyUs; 03-13-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:43 AM
RustyUs

Yahoo! search...enter"ruckus servo saver upgrade". That should get you pointed in the right direction .
Old 03-13-2016, 11:43 AM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by 67Stingrayj
MP5k

Just by looking at the exploded parts diagram of the Ruckus, that black "C" ring is the cause of all your misfortune:

That's good to know as it would be getting a hot soldering tip and JB Weld treatment to start out with at my garage. I thought my Yeti's non-adjustable (now adjustable) servo saver design was bad. I can see why people were scrambling to fix the steering and somehow came up with the idea to use a tried-and-true Associated T4/B4 bellcrank steering for the mod.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HrznECX1028-450.jpg
Views:	3371
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	2152370  
Old 03-13-2016, 06:58 PM
67Stingrayj

So guys,

I found the following link for the RPM Servo Saver Eliminator. I have known about this part for a while now but I'm not sure of the pros and cons. I have also run across the Hot Racing Servo Saver. I'm not sure which one is better or worse. I have read about some clearance issues on other threads but I get conflicting information. Can anyone explain to me what the difference between the two parts besides the obvious aluminum, ball bearings etc. I'm speaking more about the function of one another and what the drawbacks will be with either purchase.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I thought that if I had a hard time getting real information, someone else might be in the same boat. I'm not sure why it's a big deal for me to post a questions here? I have searched the topic and got mixed information so I decided to ask my trusted fellow RC enthusiasts such as all of you. Lets continue to grow interest for the hobby by helping those who are new to the hobby and give them the support that they came here in the first place for.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:07 PM
RustyUs

Choose the Hot Racing servo saver as you still will be able to adjust the "stiffness" of the spring to your liking. I haven't seen or looked hard to find any reviews of the Hot Racing steering bellcrank. It looks very promising as does the one I have in my shopping cart for my heavy pig with wheels .
Old 03-15-2016, 05:09 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Settle down, it was a question, if you don't like it don't reply and leave the moderating to us, thanks
Old 03-29-2016, 06:24 PM
67Stingrayj

Originally Posted by RustyUs
Choose the Hot Racing servo saver as you still will be able to adjust the "stiffness" of the spring to your liking. I haven't seen or looked hard to find any reviews of the Hot Racing steering bellcrank. It looks very promising as does the one I have in my shopping cart for my heavy pig with wheels .

Rusty,

I was looking over both options (RPM vs. Hot Racing). Due to the price, and the continuous bashing I put my Ruckus through, I'm not sure I want to go all out on the Hot Racing aluminum version.

So, here is my question. If I wanted to go with the RPM servo saver, would I need to order anything else? I have looked around all the posts and there does not seem to be a definitive answer. The RPM site says "RPM recommends servo-mounted servo-savers such as those offered by Kimbrough Racing Products if some form of servo protection is desired (some modifications to the chassis or skid plates may be necessary when installing an aftermarket servo saver)." does anyone know for sure? Exactly what part from Kimbrough Racing products would I get in conjunction with the RPM servo saver? I do like the idea of protecting the servo a little, but will this put the slop back into the steering?
Old 03-30-2016, 02:10 PM
RustyUs

Kimbrough has large heavy-duty/extra strong (I don't know the difference between the two ) servo savers for $10 I think. For that price I probably try one if I did like risking my servo gears.

Maybe I'll email them and ask for specifics on the force needed to engage or weight needed to make their servo savers do it's job. You would think after all these years Kimbrough would have some kind of spec for this. I don't know maybe they do. I haven't use one since the 80's .

Last edited by RustyUs; 03-30-2016 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:49 PM
67Stingrayj

Originally Posted by RustyUs
Kimbrough has large heavy-duty/extra strong (I don't know the difference between the two ) servo savers for $10 I think. For that price I probably try one if I did like risking my servo gears.

Maybe I'll email them and ask for specifics on the force needed to engage or weight needed to make their servo savers do it's job. You would think after all these years Kimbrough would have some kind of spec for this. I don't know maybe they do. I haven't use one since the 80's .
Rusty,
What the heck does a servo saver do exactly? I assume save your servo in the event of a wipeout or swift jerk to the steering arms? I just don't get it. Could I just order the RPM version I mention above and not use a servo saver? Will it work? What are the risks? Do I really need to "save" the POS servo that the RC came with? Are there servos that are stronger than others?

Lots of questions I know...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.