Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

hpi or exceed

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 10:21 PM
dcal009

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hpi or exceed

guys? i wanna buy a drifter. but i dont want to waste money. which car can you recommend to me? my budget is $180. thanks i hope i get a response. thanks
Old 12-10-2014, 09:24 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

neither
the HPI E10 in my book wouldn't be worth buying even if it was $100

I'd get the Vaterra on-road, or a Tamiya TT01e

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw5Kv-bMYZ8 there is a link to a review of the vaterra near the end he throws some cheap drift tires on, and shows it drift
Old 12-10-2014, 09:50 AM
Rcwoody22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't own either and I'm more of a basher guy but i do know that the exceeds chassis is shared between a few rcs that exceed, redcat, HSP, and himoto make. That means you should be able to get parts relatively cheap and easy but there isn't a whole lot of aftermarket upgrade-ability. I personally would get something else.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:38 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the exceed (or redcat version) compared to a Tamiya TT01....
You can get the brushless exceed car for about $200. Tamiya kits range form low-mid 100's to just above $200...and are brushed.
The exceed brushed are like $140 RTR.

Performance. If you get the brushless exceed, it will be much faster than a brushed Tamiya.
Durability of the Tamiya is a bit higher.
Upgrade parts available for the Tamiya are all over the place.
Parts for the exceed are dirt cheap and can be easier to find than Tamiya stock replacement parts.

Other considerations....the Tamiya kits have much nicer bodies....both in that they are better replicas of the real thing and use higher grade materials.
That said, if you bought a brushed exceed you would have enough money to buy a second body of your choice.

Also, consider getting a set of rubber and a set of drift tires. That will give you more ways to play with your onroad car.

Another option is to find a used Tamiya. There are sometimes used ones in good condition, usually with a few upgrades that wont cost you much more than a new exceed.