Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

rebuilding gearbox, do i do it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 03:02 PM
vqdriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuilding gearbox, do i do it?

as mentioned in another thread, i've got a used e-firestorm.
now that i've gotten somewhat acclimated to it, i'm not liking the sound, it just sounds a bit rough and unrefined. like i can actually here the gears in there. i'm going to open up the gearbox and clean/regrease it. can i just use automotive hi temp grease? and how much am i supposed to add? there seems to be a lot of dead space in there that the grease would probably just get flung to within a single run. so i'm guessing i'll add a lot.
do i dare open up the differential?
Old 12-11-2014, 06:30 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't know what noise it is that you hear. Is it possible something in between spur and pinion? Something as small as a grain of sand can cause a "ticking" sound. Gear mesh is not set properly or motor mount screws coming loose? But yeah, I would open the diff up and check the teeth and get familiar with it if you plan on keeping it running smoothly. You don't need much grease on the gears. Just a dab or two on opposite sides of the gears as you assemble. I've used high temp bearing grease for years.

Do you have the manual for the E-Firestorm? 'Cause when you take the diff apart, and clean/inspect, there is some washers/spring/rod inside and have to be careful when putting back together. I don't know what the E-Firestorm comes with (in the sealed diff) grease? If all the diff. gears look good, repack the diff 3/4 full with grease and reassemble. Keep the diff clean where you thread the screws into 'cause they get thread lock on them.

Last edited by RustyUs; 12-11-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:29 PM
vqdriver

I can download the manual I'm sure. I'll check it out. Mostly curious how much grease yall pack in there since it's always in corners of the gearbox and very little seem to actually stay on the gears.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:18 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get this grease: http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../tkpc8008.html
It has "anti-sling" properties and doesn't get flung as much as the plain ol' black grease. I use it in the differential too. YES, open the diff and inspect/clean/re-grease. CLOSELY inspect the diff gears. They should be pyramid shaped. If they look like a turbo compressor, they're worn out and should be replaced. Also, check the pins BEHIND the large bevel gears. It holds the drive cup in place. They sometimes fail and can cause a rough sound from the diff. Replace the pins with pins made from the right-sized music wire.

How much is too much? If you pack too much grease into the diff, it'll act like it's locked. Not necessarily bad, but if you want some diff action, don't use that much. For the tranny gears, I'd just coat the gears well with the grease and re-assemble. That TrakPower (or GrimRacer) grease lasts a lot longer than black junk.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:15 AM
Anthoop

Gear pairings in general make a noise...if you have ever heard/been in a 1:1 car with a straight cut gearbox then you will know why "normal" 1:1 cars use helical cut gears...
Of course if the gears that you have are worn or they are not meshed correctly then the noise will be excessive and the gears will wear quickly.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:20 PM
vqdriver

Thanks guys. I'll give it a go this weekend
Old 12-15-2014, 10:40 AM
vqdriver

did this last night and the the differential was definitely in need of some grease. almost nothing in there tho the gears themselves had a coating left. it looks like some grit had been pulverized and mixed in for good measure. cleaned it out and greased up with the non-fancy hi-temp bearing grease. still wasn't sure as to how much so i found a youtube vid of someone doing his hpi diff. i just eyeballed it and added about as much as he did, making sure to spread it around. greased up the tranny and closed up.

overall, the diff action feels smoother in my hand altho the noise hasn't changed too much when i run the motor. hopefully i'll hear some improvement when i run the car. but i can't do that until i buy a new steering thing cuz i busted another one yesterday. hence the time to repack the gearbox.... good times.