Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

redcat racing caldera 3.0 vs earthquake 3.5

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

redcat racing caldera 3.0 vs earthquake 3.5

Old 01-10-2015, 05:57 PM
krokodyl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default redcat racing caldera 3.0 vs earthquake 3.5

Hello every one, I just rescently recieved a caldera 3.0 and am now wondering what really makes the earthquake bigger. I was looking at the earthquake 3.5 parts and noticed that almost all parts are comatible with the caldera. (not counting parts of motor or exauhst) The chassis seems the same size ( tell me if i'm mistaken here). So now i would like to know how to make the caldera the same size as the erthquake and all parts that make the earthquake larger. I know that it would've been cheaper to start with a earthquake but it didn't occur to me at the time. Thanks for any help.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:00 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the chassis on the earthquake is longer
the stub axles make the wheelbase wider and the tires are at least and inch taller and wider as well.
It does reuse most of the driveline and is in a sense a stretched and widened caldera....
Im not certain of all the parts you would need. But I can say that for certain it would be cheaper to sell your caldera and then buy a earthquake. RC companies make more money on parts than they do on the actual models. A set of earthquake wheels/tires alone is going to run you $50 or so. $20 for a body. The engine is around $100. Then you need all those little bits.
Even if you only got a $100 for your caldera, it would still be cheaper to sell it and pony up the extra $ to buy a complete earthquake.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:55 PM
krokodyl

I'm not interested in a new engine so thats minus 100. I'ts not something i'm ggoing to do immiadiatly, maybe in a year or so, so i know for sure i won't be selling the caldera.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:30 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ok
the only way to figure it out is to download the exploded view for both trucks. Id bet it will run you at least $150 to convert even without the engine.
Id say, if you like the caldera then keep it and save up for a earthquake. the earthquake is larger, but its size can mean a higher chance of breaking parts (similar suspension and driveline on both trucks, but the earthquake has bigger tires more weight and more load on the parts)

Ive had an electric caldera and the electric earthquake. The size difference is pretty noticeable. but I had more problems with the earthquake's diffs than on the caldera. The caldera has an issue with the steering knuckles (screws like to back out) but otherwise is pretty good. My earthquake would chew up the diffs and I also broke a few steering links from tumbling on pavement. Again, the larger tires put much more load on parts.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:26 PM
Devils-Reject
My Feedback: (8)

earthquake all the way i can cut you a hella deal on one www.RcxZone.Com make super deals daily check me oout or email or call me authorized redcat dealer
Old 01-14-2015, 11:37 AM
krokodyl

Ok, but i was also wondering if i could directly put earthquake tires on the caldera because at full speed on pavement the caldera goes out of control
Old 01-20-2015, 08:40 PM
Devils-Reject

as long as there same size hex, you can, i love the caldera.. i have 2... if you want a hell deal on parts hit me up. but id keep it a caldera....its badass dude
Old 01-20-2015, 08:45 PM
Devils-Reject

all the cas are just about the same with minor differences you can change the wheels and body to an earth quake but why? it you want it to handle better tune the shocks, get upgraded shocks, do change the tires, but get something cool. i have a redcat group on facebook you can get lots of help there. i actually sponsor about 10-15 good groups with a total of over 20,000 members. look up
https://www.facebook.com/groups/RcxZone/ thats my redcat group on facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/767959139961812/ this is my group for drift cars, its brand new because i just started selling HPI drift cars
i even have an app for android and iphones, tables phones what ever. for my site to buy parts and get Manuals & Schematics and all that
check it out yall

Last edited by Devils-Reject; 01-20-2015 at 08:49 PM.