Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

hsp nitro car will not start!!

Old 01-26-2015, 11:47 AM
layton1985

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hsp nitro car will not start!!

Hi I have a 1/10th scale hsp nitro buggy, I have ran the car then 4 hours or so later when I tried to run it again it wouldn't start so I left it alone.

The next day I tried to start it I primed the car then pulled the pull start which was difficult and the car wouldn't start and the pull start was stuck out.

I took out the glow plug and the pull start began to go back in on its own.

With the glow plug out the pull start pulls nice and easy and goes back as it should on its own, when I put the glow plug back in the pull start is difficult to pull it pulls in sections really lumpy like an inch at a time and it will not retract back in at all unless I turn the flywheel by hand.

I am new to the rc scene, I really want to get into it but at the moment I'm struggling.

Thanks in advance for any help, I have tried to be as descriptive as possible to help diagnosis, thanks again.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:31 PM
krokodyl

I'm guessing you over primed it and flooded it. Unscrew the glowplug from the top and then turn the car over and pull the starter. there should be fuel coming from the top. Refer to flooded engine in the instructions.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:12 AM
layton1985

Forgot to mention I have done that several times, I take out the glow plug, turn the car upside down, very little fuel comes out, I pull the pull start a couple of times, then turn it back over and put the glow plug back in.

I attempt to start the car again, the pull cord is difficult and comes out in like 1 inch segments once out it will not retract, the pull start screws are not over tightened as it works fine with the glow plug out
Old 01-27-2015, 05:56 PM
cbaker65

Originally Posted by layton1985
Forgot to mention I have done that several times, I take out the glow plug, turn the car upside down, very little fuel comes out, I pull the pull start a couple of times, then turn it back over and put the glow plug back in.

I attempt to start the car again, the pull cord is difficult and comes out in like 1 inch segments once out it will not retract, the pull start screws are not over tightened as it works fine with the glow plug out
This is a wild card,Put 2 glo-plug brass washers on the glow plug.Try that,an see if that works.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:04 AM
layton1985

Resolved the problem, it was the one way bearing, I stuck a drill on the end of it to free it up, the car started I ran it, stopped it and was able to start it again a couple of times with the pull start but then it jammed up again.
Can't find a single hobby shop in my surrounding area that stocks this one way bearing so I will just have to wait for a new one.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:41 PM
Barracuz

Originally Posted by layton1985
Resolved the problem, it was the one way bearing, I stuck a drill on the end of it to free it up, the car started I ran it, stopped it and was able to start it again a couple of times with the pull start but then it jammed up again.
Can't find a single hobby shop in my surrounding area that stocks this one way bearing so I will just have to wait for a new one.

That still doesnt solve the problem of it jamming when the glowplug is installed, unless the pressure buildup with the plug installed was causing strain on the bearing
Old 01-28-2015, 08:24 PM
cbaker65

Ive seen o-ways freeze up on the starter shaft.If the retainer is cracked,the needle bearings will wedge.

But Ive also heard of the piston getting stuck in its pinch...
Old 01-28-2015, 08:43 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Oh, that explains a lot in my world.... I had a TRX 2.5. Did the exact same thing yours did. Spent $12 on an EZ Start motor, and it still didn't work. So, I took it apart and converted it to electric. A smart decision, but now I have a working 2.5 power plant. Thanks guys!