Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

question about brakes/delay

Old 02-19-2015, 06:06 PM
Jake kelly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about brakes/delay

I have a hpi wr8 and hoping someone could help with a question. When I go from reverse to forward the car brakes and I have to release the trigger and hit it again to make it go forward. Which I like. However going from forward to reverse there is no brake or delay. It just slams right into reverse... I can't imagine that being good for the gears.

Is there away to make it so I have a brake while moving forward? So I don't have to drag brake or slam it in reverse?

Thought maybe some one could help me out.

Thanks
Old 02-19-2015, 10:13 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The HPI Vapor esc is actually a rebranded Castle Creations Sidewinder SCT esc. The Sidewinder does have a mode where when you hit the brakes it will brake and then you have to go to neutral on the trigger and back to brake/reverse in order to go in reverse. Unfortunately HPI dictates the firmware in the esc's Castle makes for them and I'm not sure if the HPI version supports transmitter programming like the Castle Sidewinder SCT does. The HPI version does support using the Castle Link tomconnect to your computer for programming where you will be able to change the mode as well as other settings like punch, braking force, reverse speed, throttle curves, etc.

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 02-19-2015 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:56 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ahhhh common problem....

if u have brakes in reverse but not going forward that means it's setup backwards

so what u need to do....
Reverse channel 2 on the controller, this will correct the brakes, but it will make the car run backwards when it should be going forwards so u need to reverse the direction of the motor, it's done by swapping wires for sensor less motors and a .program card for sensored setups....

providing u do both those steps, u will have normal braking again

Last edited by phmaximus; 02-20-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:36 PM
Jake kelly

Is there a YouTube video showing how to do that? I'm a newbie and some of what you said is Greek to me
Old 02-20-2015, 05:56 PM
Jake kelly

I think I may understand what you're talking about. I want to switch what I have numbered on the picture. I want to switch 1 and 3 around then reprogram my transmitter and see if that fixes the issue. The next question I have .... can those wires that I labeled "1, 2 & 3" be pulled directly up and and out to be switched? Pull from the end of the black or pull up on the gold? I don't want to ruin anything.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	2075012  
Old 02-20-2015, 06:00 PM
DieHarder

Switch 1 and 3 and pull from where the black ends. The gold stays on the ESC. They are bullet connectors, so you will be pulling the bullet out of the socket.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:09 PM
Jake kelly

That fixed it! Wow, I feel so accomplished. I know it was an easy fix for everybody on here, but still I feel pretty good and excited its working properly.

Thank you for you help everyone ... I really appreciate it.

Jake
Old 02-21-2015, 07:14 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm glad we can help..... We were all new at some point...

It's all learning... And I guess from this u have learnt 2 things
Generally Rc cars only have brakes from forward to reverse and not reverse to forward.
And
U now now hot to fix this problem if u ever see it again on a mates car