Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Nitro questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 08:31 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check ofna brand too..redcat is not that bad but if you can compare the cars side by side from a 350 to 450 car you see the difference in the plastic materials that was used.i too acquired some nitros again and i noticed i cant tune for s##ts! i got spoiled by 5th scale gassers,which required less tuning.

Last edited by badboy2; 02-26-2015 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:02 AM
FirstGenLegacy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OFNA is another great brand, unfortunately they are a little more pricey, and if I were to buy an OFNA, I'd just buy an HPI RS4 street car; However, he's on a budget of $350 or less, and LESS ​is better, which is why I recommended Redcat, Cen, or XTM.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:05 PM
Guff15

Well, I've decided on the Redcat Backdraft. I'm ordering the starter kit and 2x glow plugs. I opted for the regular starter kit because with the 5 tank break in I'll be out of fuel at the end of it. I'll buy a gallon from my local store. As far as the AA batteries, I already have 20 NiMh rechargeable's so I'm good there and they should work in the car and transmitter because they work in my old Futaba for my electrics.

I really appreciate all of the input and suggestions you guys have given me. I'll post when I order it, which will hopefully be by the end of next week! Total price for everything..... $257.48 (minus the gallon of nitro fuel)
Old 03-01-2015, 09:28 PM
FirstGenLegacy

Yes! Congratulations on the Nitro! Another one to the Nitro side!!!
You should check out my build thread in the 1/16th scale sub-forum, I finally did the unthinkable and dropped a TRX 2.5 motor into my little 1/16 Cen Racing MG16.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:46 PM
Loverman123

This is for anyone out there, my earthquake 3.5 is still spitting fuel out of the exhaust pipe even when I leaned out the high speed needle, I know that running that rich is hard on the glow plug and the engine, the needles are already set at factory setting. WHAT DO I DO???????
Old 03-05-2015, 08:54 PM
Guff15

Ordered my Backdraft 3.5 last night and got an order confirmation today stating it'll ship out within 2 days....ugh! I'm like a young boy waiting on Christmas to come!.....lol. On another note, I plan on getting the starter kit, glow plugs and a gallon of fuel from my LHS as the starter kit is cheaper there. Glow plugs are $7 each and a gallon of nitro is $32 so I didn't think that was a bad price considering what I've seen on the net.

i can't wait to get it and go through the break in. Updates to come!
Old 03-05-2015, 09:08 PM
FirstGenLegacy

You caught me at a bad time. I just grenaded my stock Nitro engine, and my Trx engine won't fit the truck without major modification. I don't have any spare money right now, as I'm still waiting on a criminal background check... So temporarily I have to find anther hobby :-(
oh no..
Old 03-08-2015, 04:51 AM
Guff15

Hey guys, I have a quick question and didn't want to start another thread since there were a few Electric guys that responded to this one. I'm looking for a charger that won't break the bank but will also charge both NiMh and LiPo batteries. I currently have NiMh for my ancient electric trucks/car but I'm thinking that I may upgrade 1 of them to brushless in the near future which will include a LiPo battery. I've looked at the Venom chargers but I have a question regarding the different models, in particular the Pro 2 and Pro 3. What's the main difference between them?

Thanks!

(BTW, still haven't received a shipping confirmation on the Backdraft....ugh!)
Old 03-09-2015, 03:09 PM
cumquat

this is what i have http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html it'll charge pretty much any chemistry battery, even the lead acid battery in your real car.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:34 PM
Guff15

Originally Posted by cumquat
this is what i have http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html it'll charge pretty much any chemistry battery, even the lead acid battery in your real car.
Thanks neighbor! That looks just like what I'm looking for. Good to see another Michigander on the forum.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:46 PM
cumquat

there's a few others on here. where where you from?
Old 03-10-2015, 01:39 AM
Guff15

I'm from Woodhaven, south of Detroit. My brother and sister in law live in Holland.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:02 PM
cumquat

i've only been to the detroit area once; on a field trip to greenfield village in 5th grade. i've been to holland a few times though. my mom loves the fudge from the dutch village.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:44 AM
Guff15

Looks as if we have a spammer! Both posts before this one are quotes from me earlier in the thread. Grow up boys!

On a lighter note, I should be getting my Backdraft tomorrow!

Last edited by Guff15; 03-12-2015 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:08 PM
nitroexpress

Originally Posted by FirstGenLegacy
Nitro, I've only had to tune once last year
My car is still running fantasic, and it's still as fast as it was when I first got it.
It may vary between cars, but from my understanding if you drive it right, treat it right; You can get away with slight adjustments here and there, but the more you touch the carb, the sooner you'll need to replace it. Constantly screwing the HSN and LSN will begin to do almost nothing, that's why on a lot of noobies cars, you'll notice the needle sits almost all the way to the bottom, that's what I'm getting at, play with it for a few weeks, until you find the optimal tune for the car, then leave it, because everytime the car cools down it will run how it originally did.

You want to find a tune that works well with idle, low, mid, and high rpms of course.
Summer, winter, hot weather, cold weather, high humidity, low humidity. They all cause tuning to be changed. Not talking cranking the needles by full turns, but changes do have to be made.

In the end, what ever works for you.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:26 PM
Guff15

Well, the Backdraft arrived today! I was surprised that it has more aluminum parts then the models I've seen on the net. Maybe this is a newer model and they've made updates? Anyway, it was delivered a little bit late in the day so break in hasn't started, but overall it appears well built. I've already put loctite (blue) on the engine mounting screws and checked the spur gear mesh, which seemed spot on. It came with a zip tie over the air filter tube where it connects to the carburetor so I couldn't look inside to make sure the opening was set to 1mm. I didn't want to cut it off because I didn't know if it's required to have on, not to mention that I plan on having it up on a stand when starting the break in tank(s). I'll check the remote and servo's prior to the initial start.

Anything else that I need to check before I run my 1st tank through it?
Old 03-13-2015, 03:41 PM
cumquat

if that zip tie is tightened properly, you should be able to remove and re-install the air filter without cutting it.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:18 AM
Guff15

Just ran my 1st tank of nitro through it while at work. lol.... I had a hard time getting it fired up, but after an inspection of the carb (had to give the air cleaner tube some assistance with a screw driver) I opened it up a turn and one pull later it came alive! I ended up having to close the carb up a little to stop the wheels from spinning but I had it running very rich, to the point where you could see and smell a little raw fuel/oil coming out of the exhaust. Better rich than lean on break in right?, lol. Next tank will be tomorrow at home!
Old 03-15-2015, 11:24 AM
Guff15

What do you guys use (if any) to cap the exhaust tip? After letting the car sit and cool I picked it up and oil dumped out of the exhaust getting everywhere. A co-worker told me that his igniter came with a rubber cap and he used that to put over his exhaust tip to keep that from happening. Mine did not come with one.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:21 PM
Guff15

Well, first tank after break in and the spur gear is toast. Evidently my interpretation of the clearance or lash is incorrect. I'll be ordering a new one when I get off of work.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:00 PM
Guff15

Finally got the new spur gear today. Installed it and went out to drive it around for a bit. At full throttle it was running great but when I would shut it down it stalled. I'm guessing it was due to the cold weather, but I'll know definitely when it warms up and I finish fine tuning it. Overall I'm very pleased with the Backdraft. Only drawback is having to order parts vs going to my LHS for them, but I knew that going in.