Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Opinions on Traxxas E-Revo 1/16

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 08:32 AM
boomgreen87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on Traxxas E-Revo 1/16

I'm thinking of maybe getting the Traxxas E-Revo 1/16 and it's on sale right now at Best Buy for $229.99 CAD. What are your opinions on it?
Old 03-29-2015, 08:47 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no personal experience with the MERV, but just about everyone here says that it needs a bunch of aftermarket parts to make it bashable. Maybe some of them will come along to advise you. I have found that just about any RTR vehicle you get at least needs good aftermarket bumpers from RPM or T-Bone Racing. Even if a particular vehicle comes with bumpers, they're usually more for looks than function. If you're going to be bashing, not racing, good bumpers are a must. For instance, my buddy and I bought OFNA Hyper 10TT's. Well-built, nice features. But we were breaking suspension arms almost every time we'd get together. Got front and rear T-Bone Racing bumpers. Cut our breakage to near ZERO.

Before getting the Hyper TT, I was looking at the MERV too, but the folks here kinda warned me off, and someone suggested I look at the Hyper TT. Glad they did, as I'm very happy with it. Bought it new as a "roller" from NitroHouse for like $180. Roller = fully assembled minus electronics. Put in a $75 HobbyWing EZrun motor system and a $50 Hitec servo. Already had FlySky radio gear. I LOVE it. We have tons of fun with them.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:08 AM
boomgreen87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
I have no personal experience with the MERV, but just about everyone here says that it needs a bunch of aftermarket parts to make it bashable. Maybe some of them will come along to advise you. I have found that just about any RTR vehicle you get at least needs good aftermarket bumpers from RPM or T-Bone Racing. Even if a particular vehicle comes with bumpers, they're usually more for looks than function. If you're going to be bashing, not racing, good bumpers are a must. For instance, my buddy and I bought OFNA Hyper 10TT's. Well-built, nice features. But we were breaking suspension arms almost every time we'd get together. Got front and rear T-Bone Racing bumpers. Cut our breakage to near ZERO.

Before getting the Hyper TT, I was looking at the MERV too, but the folks here kinda warned me off, and someone suggested I look at the Hyper TT. Glad they did, as I'm very happy with it. Bought it new as a "roller" from NitroHouse for like $180. Roller = fully assembled minus electronics. Put in a $75 HobbyWing EZrun motor system and a $50 Hitec servo. Already had FlySky radio gear. I LOVE it. We have tons of fun with them.
Thanks for your advice. So you would advise that I steer away from the Traxxas? And also, do you have any other suggestions? I can't seem to find anywhere that carries the Hyper TT and ships to Canada.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:11 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, I'm not saying avoid Traxxas in general. And $229 isn't bad for the MERV. I'd poke around the forums here for info on it. At least for what you need to modify/replace on it to make it durable enough for serious bashing.

I didn't see anything on NitroHouse's website that says they don't ship to Canada. The price on the Hyper TT has gone up a little apparently. It's $209 now. And you still have to put a motor system, servo, and radio in it. And the T-bone bumpers. But I can tell you it's a tough little bugger once you put those bumpers on it. We're not running great big motor systems in them, but those little HobbyWing systems push 'em to ~35mph, plenty fast and torque-y enough for racing each other on my track. Check it out.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:38 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

basically what is needed to be changed out of the box:
Springs (I forgot what spring rate is needed there are plenty of places that will advise), shock oil
If you don't change the springs, and the oil when you turn it will do what some have called the peeing dog as it will lift one of the wheels pretty high into the air(depending on which way you turn). It will also bottom out at the teeny tiniest bump.

things that are suggested metal chassis braces for the front and rear
Tires. The tires are VERY hard, and get somewhat poor traction.

Also I'd stick to the brushed one mine when I 1st got it was brushless, and honestly brushless in this thing IMO is too much power as the slightest blip of the throttle will have the thing scraping the wing.

One issue I had was batteries. I've bought batteries that claimed to fit the box's, and they didn't quite do it... well I should say one did the other didn't which is interesting as they were 2 of the same batteries...

Upgrade I would suggest would be the center differential as it will make it handle WAY better specially once the shock oil is changed

I will say its an OK vehicle, but honestly I wouldn't buy another one again as it took too much work, and money to get it to behave how I wanted.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:50 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was a great little car. Wasn't cheap as you'll see (link below), but I regret selling it. Actually I might call the guy and see if he still has it.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-c...ifes-merv.html