Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Need advice. Offer from Redcat.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 03:20 PM
Guff15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice. Offer from Redcat.

Some of you may have seen my thread regarding issues with Redcat's misinformation and their product support. For those who missed it, here it is......

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redc...aft-3-5-a.html

I received an email back from Billy at Redcat's customer support. He offered to swap out my OS 21 engine for a SH 21 in their shop. I would need to remove everything from it (i.e. Exhaust, clutch/clutch bell assembly, flywheel and air filter).

#1) How hard is it to remove the clutch assembly?

#2) Is there a major difference in the performance and durability between the 2 engines?

#3) Would you take the offer?

Thanks for any and all advice/input!
Old 04-10-2015, 09:18 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The other thread had a discussion about Hobbico and Redcat. I copied and pasted my post from that thread here.

As far as I know Hobbico is a distributor for OS and doesn't actually own them. I'd assume OS, like other engine manufacturers, does make engines "to spec" for other manufacturers. Now a "to spec" engine can be the same as an engine in their normal lineup but with a different cooling head, different porting, or different materials and machining processes to lower costs if the manufacturer contracting OS wants a lower spec. If a particular "to spec" engine is not offered in OS normal product lineup then Hobbico and other distributors wouldn't have any info on it. SH makes engines "to spec" for LRP, Losi, Redcat and others.

Both OS and SH make good engines, but what Redcat spec'd for each is unknown. Ultimately I think your decision is going to have to be based on how bad you want the electric starter. Removing and installing the flywheel isn't hard. You simply hold the flywheel (a tool like a pair of channel locks may be needed), remove the flywheel nut and tap the flywheel lightly around the backside to break it loose. Don't forget to remove and save the collet on the crankshaft behind the flywheel.

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 04-10-2015 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:18 PM
Guff15

I decided to take Redcat up on their offer and swap out the engines. Got the "OS 21" out of the car and ready to it to them. Hopefully the turn around isn't too long, but at least I have a old OFNA to run in the mean time. Just need to get the rest of the stuff from a buddy so I can fire that old man up.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:55 PM
Guff15

Received an email from Billy Fischer at Redcat today stating they received my OS engine. I also purchased a new clutch bell and the electric starter kit. Billy and Redcat covered the shipping on everything!

Way to make a disgruntled customer happy again Billy!