Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New to RC - TT01 with an issue..

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 01:46 AM
Drunkenalan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to RC - TT01 with an issue..

Hello

I’m new to allthis, so be gentle. and i also apologise for this thread being a request for help

I alwayswanted and decent RC car but being from a large family happen anyway I am a bitolder now, so I bought myself a TT01 chassis, an unpainted Golf Mk2 Shell ( I ama big retro VW fan) and Pre painted RX7 shell to get me going. The Chassis kitwas an assembly job which was a bonus for me as it mean I understand how it allworks.

The chassiswent together no issues, and I was impressed with it. For now I have left the Tamiyastandard motor but plan an upgrade later.

Then came theelectrickery, I ordered everything I needed from RC Geeks, (top service andhelpful on the phone) but now I have an issue.

The car worksgreat, everything works, but, the car is definitely quicker in reverse! So bitof searching, could be the diffs in the wrong war around? I haven’t actuallychecked but, I am certain that they are correct. I used the car for over anhour messing about with stuff, so I’m certain its wired correctly the geniewould have appeared!

I’ll admit to beinga bit confused by ESC’s and the controls on my controller.

So heres thesetup

TT01
Original Tamiyamotor (called a silver can?)
HPI Battery
Carson Servo
Etronix ProbePlus ESC
Absima CR2S.V2radio System

I have readabout reprogramming ESCs and Changing settings on the radio unit, but nothing Ihave tried has fixed it. Whilst the instructions probably tell and experienceRC’er what to do they don’t really help this idiot!
Old 07-08-2015, 04:34 AM
Drunkenalan

other thing is the car 'brakes' in reverse and need a double move to get it moving forwards again which make me think its ESC
Old 07-08-2015, 07:26 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AH, your second post confirmed it: THere are a couple switches on your radio for channel reversing. Flip the reversing switch for Ch.2 (throttle). Then, re-calibrate the ESC. The reverse function SHOULD be a "double-pump", that way you get braking action first, then on the second "pump" you get reverse. This is so you don't go from forward to reverse immediately, stressing the drivetrain.

Don't feel bad, mate, we ALL started out as newbies too. RC has a fairly steep learning curve. Have you read the "sticky" at the top of this forum? Lots of good info there for noobs. And always feel free to ask questions, no such thing as a "stupid question". We've all been there.

When you do get around to upgrading the motor system and you go LIPO, just be sure to CUT OFF those crappy Molex battery connectors Tamiya continues to use, and REPLACE them with something more appropriate, like Traxxas, or Castle's new power connectors. Those Molex connectors cannot handle the AMPS Lipo and brushless motor systems use.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:30 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it faster in reverse then forward?
also does it stop when going from forward to reverse, or does it go straight to reverse?

your second post is what confuses me. If the answer to question 1 is yes, and if it goes straight to reverse you will need to swap the motor wires, and flip the reverse switch on channel 2.

Would normally say recalibrate the ESC, but according to the manual it calibrates itself every time its turned on
Old 07-08-2015, 07:44 AM
Drunkenalan

yeah faster in reverse definately, it also makes a higher pitch noise.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:48 AM
collector1231

Flip around the motor wires. That should fix it.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:50 AM
Drunkenalan

yeah faster in reverse definately, it also makes a higher pitch noise. yes i can reverse straight away, the its been wired yellow to yellow, blue to green currently.

i was fiddling with the switches on the controller but once flipped i can only get reverse? if i turn the car off and back on, that should recalibrate the ESC? ill give it a try.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:00 AM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Drunkenalan

i was fiddling with the switches on the controller but once flipped i can only get reverse? if i turn the car off and back on, that should recalibrate the ESC? ill give it a try.
NO. Turning it off, then on again does NOT re-cal the ESC. There is a procedure described in you manual that goes something like this:
o Set throttle trim to Zero/Center
o Turn on Radio
o Press "SET" button on ESC, then turn on ESC
o ESC should beep a few times
o With throttle trigger centered at neutral, press the SET button on ESC
o ESC beeps once (sets neutral point)
o Pull Full Thottle on the throttle trigger, press the SET button
o ESC beeps twice (sets forward end-point)
o Push throttle trigger to Full Reverse, press the SET button
o ESC beeps three times (sets Reverse end-point)
o Turn OFF ESC. (ESC is now calibrated)
o Ready to go!
Old 07-08-2015, 08:06 AM
Drunkenalan

Wow, none of that is in the instructions in the box!
Old 07-08-2015, 08:08 AM
Drunkenalan

http://www.etronix-rc.com/downloads thats all i got in the box! (probe plus)

Last edited by Drunkenalan; 07-08-2015 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:29 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
NO. Turning it off, then on again does NOT re-cal the ESC. There is a procedure described in you manual that goes something like this:
o Set throttle trim to Zero/Center
o Turn on Radio
o Press "SET" button on ESC, then turn on ESC
o ESC should beep a few times
o With throttle trigger centered at neutral, press the SET button on ESC
o ESC beeps once (sets neutral point)
o Pull Full Thottle on the throttle trigger, press the SET button
o ESC beeps twice (sets forward end-point)
o Push throttle trigger to Full Reverse, press the SET button
o ESC beeps three times (sets Reverse end-point)
o Turn OFF ESC. (ESC is now calibrated)
o Ready to go!

According to the manual of the ESC he stated he has it auto sets the position when you turn it on. I have 2 ESC's like this(not that brand)

as for flipping the switch make sure the radio is off flip the switch, center the trim, and swap the motor wires, and when you turn it on it should work properly

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 07-08-2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:23 AM
Drunkenalan

Keen to try the simplest ideas first, I flipped the motor wires and it works as it should other than the trigger is the backwards now
Old 07-08-2015, 11:24 AM
Drunkenalan

Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM
According to the manual of the ESC he stated he has it auto sets the position when you turn it on. I have 2 ESC's like this(not that brand)

as for flipping the switch make sure the radio is off flip the switch, center the trim, and swap the motor wires, and when you turn it on it should work properly

I'll give this a try. Cheers