Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Have I missed anything exciting??

Old 08-21-2015, 11:51 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ahh cool saw the goggles with the screen for $56 on HK's site which is funny cause a similar sized screen alone costs almost triple.
The cameras were confusing me as most came with a TX, but didn't have an RX, and the info on what works was a tad.... unhelpful on the ones I looked up
Old 08-21-2015, 05:45 PM
DieHarder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The LaTrax was a little sketchy to fly when I first started. Like the first flight was 5 seconds in the air near the ground and it hit a chair. It was fairly easy once I got about three flights under my belt. It's pretty cool how the thing auto-trims itself. On mine the tx has trim adjusters, but each time you shut off the copter and plug a new battery in, the trims reset and it self-trims itself. So the trim adjusters are not even necessary. It's a very capable and fast quad, quite robust as well. The one problem I occasionally have is the props cracking near the screw that holds them on, but only if you over-tighten the screw, which is pretty easy to do. Other than that, I really like it. It doesn't carry much of a payload because of it's size and weight, so I can imagine if I got the optional camera or light bar it might have a little trouble. Great copter though.
Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
I bought myself one of those little micro-quads to try about a year ago. Could never get the thing to fly very well. It needed constant control input just to keep it in one place. Could never get the trims to let the thing hover in place. Got really frustrated with it. Have thought about buying a LaTrax, seeing as how it has better electronics and sounds easier to control and learn on. (What was your first time experience like with the LaTrax, Nate?)
Old 08-22-2015, 08:42 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the reply, Nate. This thread has gotten me pretty interested in that FPV kit Max has built. But being of thrifty nature, I'm a little shy about dropping several Benjamins on something I may not have the knack for. So I'm thinking about the Alias, or, Dromida has one that's about $25 cheaper. I might be willing to drop $75 on something to see if I can learn to fly it well enough to go for the full kit like Max.

How long have you been flying the Alias, and have you gotten good enough with it to fly banking turns? Have you made it up to "Expert" level yet?
Old 08-22-2015, 09:51 AM
DieHarder

Max and his FPV is just awesome. Very well done, and the expert he is, I wouldn't have expected anything less than a complicated (to me) build such as this. Looks pretty sweet and I applaud him for taking the seemingly difficult leap into FPV.

I've seen some of the Dromidas at the LHS when I visit once a year and they look pretty legit. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them really. I picked the Alias because of it's 'flipping' abilities, size, and the cool super bright LEDs, but that was a couple years ago when flipping quadcopters wasn't so common. Now days just about all 'non-equipment-carrying' choppers can do it. So as I've implied, the Alias has been in my RC line-up for about two years. A couple weeks after getting it, I had no problem doing banked turns, full-speed runs, flipping, etc. I don't usually use expert mode though. I've flown it in expert and it's quite challenging, but doable. When it gets moving too fast in one direction and you try to correct, it seems another axis has moved. It's like a constant leveling act on your part vs really flying around and having fun. Expert mode basically disengages the gyro. But even though it's difficult, I was able to do some pretty wild series of flips and rolls at a high altitude. Probably the most difficult thing I've done with it and you just kinda do, telling yourself to screw it whatever happens, happens. To sum that up, most of the time I just fly the advanced mode. It's the most capable you can make the thing without shutting the gyro off.

Overall lots of fun, but FPV would be taking it to the next level. The next copter I was going to get was the Estes Proto-X FPV for around the house flying, but I'm now considering building one or picking up a used (thus cheaper) higher end model like the DJI Phantom, Hubsan X4, or Blade 350. Amain Hobbies also has a whole section dedicated to 'drones' and other quadcopters with FPV. Lots of options there too...
Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
Thanks for the reply, Nate. This thread has gotten me pretty interested in that FPV kit Max has built. But being of thrifty nature, I'm a little shy about dropping several Benjamins on something I may not have the knack for. So I'm thinking about the Alias, or, Dromida has one that's about $25 cheaper. I might be willing to drop $75 on something to see if I can learn to fly it well enough to go for the full kit like Max.

How long have you been flying the Alias, and have you gotten good enough with it to fly banking turns? Have you made it up to "Expert" level yet?
Old 08-22-2015, 07:05 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ur not wrong about the prices, It's a very affordable hobby, individually the most expensive part is about the cost of a pair of 1/10 tyres.

all year I was planing to buy a new scx10. But when u start comparing value for money the quadcopter was more attractive.
Lets compare
Scx10, dead stock, nothing fancy, crap RTR radio gear, and would need a pile of modifications and upgrades

quad copter, loaded with new technology, digital 2.4ghz 6ch controller, long range 2.4ghz receiver, 5.8ghz FPV equipment, 4 brushless motors, carbon fibre frame, cool little LED's, and programing options galore

firmware on quads is amazing, generally for each part there is at least 2 different firmware....
The flight controller does come with a pre flashed firmware that's really good and same with the ESC
But the chip for the OSD did not.

so even tho there is nothing wrong with the stock firmware on a naze32 (it called baseflight) I switched over to Cleanflight because it has a programme for self calibrating certain aspects of the flight controller (PID's) and I really wanted to give it a try.

my ESC Are running the SimonK firmware and I can't fault them one so I won't be touching that unless I have problems with motor sync.

and my miniOSD, they come blank with only a boot loader flashed. So it requires a FTDI programmer (virtual com port, USB arduino programmer)

wow, reading back on that it looks very confusing.... But it's not.... The programs are really easy to use and people have complete how to threads and videos.... The hardest part is remembering what is what, there are a whole bunch of new Terminology that's used.
one good thing, if u are experanced with surface vehicles you already have a head start because u will know what most of the receiver and ESC setting do, so all u will have to learn is the flight controller.

how I learnt to fly..... Games.... To get use to doing smoothe and slow stick movements I've been trashing Microsoft flight simulator... It's nothing like flying a quad but it really helps getting ur movements smoothe so the controller don't feel touchy. So dead set give it a go and when u can complete all the basic missions then it's time to buy a nano quad... I spent 2 weeks flying that around inside with a nano before I attempted the big quad.... If u look at the first pic u can see the nano I was practicing with

it was $25 for the nano quad and it really cool, they are not really big enought to damage them self...I haven't broken anything on mine and I've had a lot of crashes.
Its got a 2.5ghz micro controller, fully proportional, 3 different flight modes (changes max tilt) and can do flips in any direction

id recommend spending at least 10min each day flying it until u get to the point that u are not crashing, then jump back on flight simulator have have a crack at the advanced helicopter mission with the oil rig.... If u can finish that then it's time to really learn to fly the nano quad... It's really easy to fly a quad if it's facing the same direction and the pilot. But it's extremely difficult flying when it's facing you or sideways... So practice that until ur fingers get the muscle memory and u don't have to think about the movements.... Now that hopefully u have muscle memory it's time to try banked turns.... They are hard I won't lye.... It's just practice practice practice

But now for the good news... Lol
If you are very confident flying a nano quad.... Flying a 250 mini will be a breeze..... They are considerable smoother and the gyros and accelerometer are a lot better.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:10 PM
phmaximus

So yeah.... Spend $30 on a nano.... Then u can see how well u can pick up flying and they are very durable.... Also I don't know about ur laws but here in Australia because ther are under 100g they don't have to comply aviation athuroity regulations

tip.... Nano quads can be hard to tell what way they are facing,,, I put a red sticker on the back of mine with a blue sticker on the front.... Sure it doesent look the best but it makes it so much easier to fly

This is the biggest problem I had learning to fly
http://youtu.be/7flWFv2_Ifw

Last edited by phmaximus; 08-22-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:17 PM
phmaximus

Surprisingly this is actually a good learning video.... This kid needs credit

http://youtu.be/P3E2pQnEDRI
Old 08-22-2015, 07:20 PM
phmaximus

Here is a must see build series it's a 6 part video and it taught me so much, it's the one I followed for my build

http://youtu.be/8jbpwqCCVbs
Old 08-23-2015, 06:58 PM
DieHarder

The cat tho

You were going for ANOTHER SCX10?? lol I've about to do a big overhaul on my G6. I'll be doing 4WS, lots of lighting (light bar, head/tail/marker lights, bumper lights, and under-body lights on separate circuits), some suspension upgrades, driveline upgrades, tires/wheels, and the list goes on... Almost got all my parts.

I've been flying planes for about 3 years so I have some flight skills, but I understand quads are a whole different game. I'm thinking after I get a multi-effects unit for my guitar, I'll be saving up to build a serious quad w/ FPV.

BTW I'm learning a lot from this thread, nice work!
Old 08-24-2015, 06:20 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by phmaximus
Here is a must see build series it's a 6 part video and it taught me so much, it's the one I followed for my build

http://youtu.be/8jbpwqCCVbs
Like the dudes attitude.

hmm after watching that I'm tempted to go airborn as it seems I could get a basic rig up, and running for around $230 USD(no FPV though as that would add another $100)

I've always wanted a quad, and have thought about getting those mini ones.

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 08-24-2015 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:49 PM
phmaximus

I'm a fan of Bruce, I think I've nearly watched all his videos... Lol

but yeah, don't u reckon it's surprising how cheap a 1/2 decent racing quad is to build??
It kinda kills me thinking I've spent over $40 before on 1/10 SCT tyres before.....that's more than I paied for the carbon fibre quadcopter frame!! Over the years I have absolutely poured money into RC cars with little results... Dead set think about how much money u have waisted on RC cars with upgrades that really don't have big effects on a bash car.... Universals, alloy shocks, expensive tyres, ball diffs, fancy ball bearings, faster servos, alloy screws, excessively expensive CF parts, alloy braces/bulkheads, alloy suspension bits.... No kidding I'd be up in the thousands... And I don't really have much to show for it....

When u compare building one to a Ready to fly, drone, there is no comparison. U end up building it for a few hundred dollars less and the parts are considerably better in quality and durability. It's honestly like comparing a 1/10 radio shack car to a 1/10 team X-ray kit...plastic vs carbon fibre.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:17 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by phmaximus
I'm a fan of Bruce, I think I've nearly watched all his videos... Lol

but yeah, don't u reckon it's surprising how cheap a 1/2 decent racing quad is to build??
It kinda kills me thinking I've spent over $40 before on 1/10 SCT tyres before.....that's more than I paied for the carbon fibre quadcopter frame!! Over the years I have absolutely poured money into RC cars with little results... Dead set think about how much money u have waisted on RC cars with upgrades that really don't have big effects on a bash car.... Universals, alloy shocks, expensive tyres, ball diffs, fancy ball bearings, faster servos, alloy screws, excessively expensive CF parts, alloy braces/bulkheads, alloy suspension bits.... No kidding I'd be up in the thousands... And I don't really have much to show for it....

When u compare building one to a Ready to fly, drone, there is no comparison. U end up building it for a few hundred dollars less and the parts are considerably better in quality and durability. It's honestly like comparing a 1/10 radio shack car to a 1/10 team X-ray kit...plastic vs carbon fibre.
Actually just the other day I was going damn wish I didn't buy over half these vehicles, and got so many tires its not funny.
Hell I think I spent more cash trying to make the merv not suck then a quad would take to build.
Only real reason I'm not is I have almost the same exact issue as I do with my ground based RC's no where to run it as the area is so overbuilt its not funny. Only field nearby that is somewhat open has 3 schools built on it, and I'm sure the cops(PD is right across the street) would love to question me on what I would be doing flying a drone near a school
Old 08-27-2015, 11:54 PM
phmaximus

How's u could do what we did last night... Get a few guys together and hire a school hall... I'll post up some pics after but it was only $40 a night.

mind you, it's taken a while to meet people, but that's easily done via Facebook
Old 08-28-2015, 11:38 PM
ColeB

Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM
got so many tires its not funny.
Do you have any truggy tires you dont need?
Old 08-31-2015, 07:18 PM
phmaximus

lol, go by some u tight arse lol