Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

How to deal with body set damage (small fender pucture, cracks on the front apron)?

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

How to deal with body set damage (small fender pucture, cracks on the front apron)?

Old 09-04-2015, 03:50 AM
StannyT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to deal with body set damage (small fender pucture, cracks on the front apron)?

Hello guys,

I would appreciate some advice regarding the proper dealing with the body set damage of my Tamiya Subaru Impreza MC07.

The car has been going on the full throttle indoors when suddenly lost control on one of the axles during maximum braking and hit the sharp corner of the wardrobe in the result - got a small puncture (2x2 mm) on the fender near the edge of the headlight (headlight is healthy and operating normally), small horizontal cracks on the fender which I managed to straighten from the inside and merge them with a transparent scotch tape afterwards, two vertical cracks on the front apron which have been also merged with a transparent scotch tape.

Visually it looks worse of course (though not that awful) therefore I would like to ask about the following: is it worth now running to the dealer for the replacement body set taking into consideration that I am driving the car fast and do it indoors and on regular basis and other damage cannot be excluded while I learn the controls properly.

Maybe it is better to stick with domestic cosmetic repairs until the body set is in suitable condition (I am not causing crashes on purpose, but I drive fast and there may be accidents) and replace the body set when the damage becomes more serious already?

Can you share your experience please, this is my first RC car, do you repair minor damage at home or replace the body sets after each accident? Thanks.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:12 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

No. The body doesn't need to be replaced until it really has trouble staying on the car. They are way not cheap.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:39 AM
cumquat

i said it in one of your other threads and i'll say it again, the body is irrelevant. what i would advise you to do is leave it off until you develop your driving skill.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:12 AM
StannyT

Thank you for answers. So you say that it is acceptable to manually straighten minor cracks from inside and patching them with transparent scotch tape? I am a new person to RC world so I guess those cracks, bruises, scratches is quite a common thing here given the speeds and agility those cars travel.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:56 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...&hsimp=yhs-001
Old 09-05-2015, 09:53 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cumquat
i said it in one of your other threads and i'll say it again, the body is irrelevant. what i would advise you to do is leave it off until you develop your driving skill.
What, and risk damage to the important stuff inside? I disagree.

Repair the body any way you can. On lexan or polycarbonate bodies, any silicon adhesive like Shoe Goo works great to repair cracks. Works even better if you combine that with some fiberglass window screen. Apply Goo to the cracked area, lay in a piece of screen pressing it into place, and apply a little more Goo if needed. More or less a permanent fix. Tamiya uses hard plastic bodies on some of their models, so I'd suppose any plastic model glue would work.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:22 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what???? using sticktape is going to do nothing apart from leaving a stick residue.....

first i need to drill out a hole at the end of the crack. this will prevent it from cracking further.

next get a roll of mesh tape and cover the crack from the inside of the body (most mesh tape is self adhesive)

next smearer shoe goo over the tape

here is an example but, I used that method to attach a custom body kit and reinforce the front bumper

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	download (1).jpg
Views:	49
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	2118267  
Old 09-08-2015, 06:25 PM
DieHarder

I found the first crack in my SCX10 body. It's horizontal going from the edge of the grill across it about a 1/4", right in front of the left fender. I understand what you're saying about drilling a hole to prevent the crack from furthering, but a hole in the front of my grill isn't going to look so hot, even if it's <1/16". I think I'm going to try using just shoo goo and maybe some screen. It's only a 1/4" long so nothing major, hopefully it'll work...
Old 09-08-2015, 06:45 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that will work mate... to be honest its rare that I drill a hole, Ive only done it twice on a 1/5 body lol
the only thing i can stress.... make sure its clean where you glue
Old 09-10-2015, 11:11 AM
PaulDeth

CA fixes everything. It can be sanded