Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

"team redcat" added to redcat racing

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 08:36 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default "team redcat" added to redcat racing

So redcat is starting a new line of models under the "team redcat" banner.
Unlike the current vehicles aimed a "bang for you buck" this new line is supposed to be higher grade and more focused on performance.

Interesting move on Redcat's part. Considering in the past they have said they do not see themselves as competing with or being in the same market as traxxas, losi, hpi ect.

Their first model is a 1/8 monster truggy thing.

While traxxas and losi and others do their thing and do it well, their business models are pretty standard. Redcat has always done things a tad differently. I will be interested to see how good the new models are (build quality, parts, design) If they do it well, it could be a big boost as newbs who start with a redcat and enjoyed their model could then stick with redcat but get a higher-end model.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	trmt8e-4.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	2126697  
Old 10-21-2015, 12:55 PM
krokodyl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im definately going to look forward to it. Its going to be interesting to see there price.

I might buy one of the new models later on if they have good reviews and a descent price.

I wonder if there going to have a name winning contest? I hope so :-)
Old 10-21-2015, 04:41 PM
krokodyl

http://www.rcmart.com/team-magic-mon...cPath=420_1173

It seems that this is the same thing.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:52 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Mmkay, lets put these pieces together....

Racing line = Monster truck/truggy? This makes no sense. That class is EXTINCT. Now if I see a decent 2WD buggy that uses shorties or something along the lines of that with a sensored system in it, then I'll know they're serious. Also a rebrand of that Team Magic MT, so are they just gonna sell Team Magic under the Redcat name and call it a day?

But that Team Redcat Content Creator thing looks like fun to me, as I like writing. I could also use a little extra RC stuff laying around, like we all could.

Last edited by collector1231; 10-21-2015 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:35 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by krokodyl
http://www.rcmart.com/team-magic-mon...cPath=420_1173

It seems that this is the same thing.
Thank you for posting that saved me a bunch of time looking as I knew I saw that truck before.

Almost thought I came to this date from the past, and saw the future
Old 10-23-2015, 07:49 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM
Thank you for posting that saved me a bunch of time looking as I knew I saw that truck before.

Almost thought I came to this date from the past, and saw the future
agreed, thanx for the link. It does indeed look to be the same model. Not surprising really that the first of their new line should be a rebranded model. I cant say I know anything about the quality of that model...but the servo alone does point to redcat trying to offer some better stuff. Anyone who has had a redcat likely will agree that their stock servos are poop.

I would hesitate to spend $450 on a redcat (other than their 1/5 scale models) but then compared to a emaxx/revo/savage brushless model $450 is still cheap. Each of those trucks is at least $200 more.

I think the "team redcat" models is supposed to refer to higher-quality models (and higher price point) rather than to "racing" models. That said, redcat would benefit if they offered some models that people could race at their local track. I know a few race the hurricane, but none of the 1/10 scale models are really good for racing. They still have yet to offer a 1/10 short course truck. And as mentioned, a 1/10 buggy could sell decent if it were good for racing. Imagine if they could get the rights to sell a rebranded RC10 B2? (which is what the thunder tiger 1/10 buggy is)

Im hoping that future "team redcat" models will be designs only redcat has rather than ones sold under a few different names.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:42 AM
krokodyl

Agreed, I also would hesitate on 450, but I bet it will come fully rtr batterys and all. I think maybe redcat is trying to get more hobbystores to sell there products. Most stores dont sell redcats because they dont gain enough money. IMO redcats biggest boost to selling there products is getting more stores to sell their products. It can be pretty annoying to wait up to a week on some stupid part. I know some people will go into their LHS and buy the product thats appealing to them, no matter of the brand. Time will tell if tedcat will ever get more popular than it is today.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:27 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Originally Posted by krokodyl
Agreed, I also would hesitate on 450, but I bet it will come fully rtr batterys and all. I think maybe redcat is trying to get more hobbystores to sell there products. Most stores dont sell redcats because they dont gain enough money. IMO redcats biggest boost to selling there products is getting more stores to sell their products. It can be pretty annoying to wait up to a week on some stupid part. I know some people will go into their LHS and buy the product thats appealing to them, no matter of the brand. Time will tell if tedcat will ever get more popular than it is today.
I could not agree more. one of the biggest complaints redcat owners have (who are often new to the hobby) is when their model breaks they have to find the part online. And half the time, if they go to their local hobby shop they are basically told that they shouldn't have bought a redcat in the first place. If models and parts were sold side/side with every other brand it would do a lot for the company.
When I asked my LHS why they no longer sell redcats (did when they first opened...still have a couple of old nitros left over) they didn't give specifics but said in general they had problems with customers having issues and redcat not replacing parts.
Now, I was a dealer and never had such problems. I don't know if redcat's attitude towards brick and morter dealers is different from their online dealers (why would it be?) but I suspect that the margin's on redcat's models is lower than on traxxas and other brands. I know that most of the 1/10 redcat models only have a margin of about $40. A redcat nitro is just over $200 where the base model traxxas nitro is about $350. $150 more is nothing to sneeze at! Im thinking the profit margin on the traxxas is higher, thus making it worth more for the hobby shop to sell. Shelf space in some stores is limited.
Of course, the conspirousy theory is that some of the big name companies wont sell to stores if they carry redcats. I don't really think that is the case...but then, I don't think anything could stop traxxas or hpi or losi from doing just that. Can you imagine any hobby shop standing up to those companies? Any hobby shop would certainly choose the big brands over redcats.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:48 PM
krokodyl

Yes, one thing which is discouraging about redcats is that the hobby stores sometimes wont even look at it. Some wont even break it in or tune it. They claim its a piece of junk and that you should buy their products. I have had some luck fitting traxxas parts on my crawler, havent really broken anything except the engine on my caldera.

About the rumors that say big name companies wont sell to stores if they carry redcats, i doubt its true. There are some stores that sell both, two are sort of local to me.

Certain stores do sell redcats only, not sure why but they do exist. I know one that sold hpi and traxxas. then one day i go in and bam, they sell only redcats. Unfortunately it ended up closing, It was only a 10 minute drive from my house.

Anyways, im definately looking forward to team redcat, hopefully there other cars will not be renamed ones, but produced by redcat.

Last edited by krokodyl; 10-25-2015 at 05:52 PM.