Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New Guy with newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 01:43 PM
Bacon_Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy with newbie question

Hello everyone, I am from Missouri and new. I thought I would join this forum to get some tips on trying to get my son a RC car/truck, I am completely lost looking around as it is a new and huge new world it seems.

My son is 8 years old and really wants to get into RC cars (and really planes...but in time and I just have no idea where to start or what an 8 year old kid can handle as far as skill level. I am looking to get him one for Christmas and in the $150 range, I do not want to spend more than that and find he doesn't like it. Thank you for any tips or advice you can provide.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:44 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

There's alot on the market these days, that's for sure. I'm a plane guy, although I've owned several cars(its all fun).. but I'm going to give you a link to the "RC Car General Discussions" forum. Its probably a bit more specific to the info you're looking, and/or more of a car readership/experience. I suggest posting a similar thread right in that forum, I think you'd get some input possibly.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-c...scussions-179/

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-c...-buy-read.html

Also, read the second link.. it might help a "Dad" with some choices too. Thats actually a "sticky" thread at the top of the first link/forum I posted...

and... I have to say, its a great gift you and your son will have alot of fun with..... Ya know he's going to want you to have one to race him now right? haha..
Have fun.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:58 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

First of all I want to welcome you to RC Universe. I'm glad that you turned to us to get your questions answered. We'll do our best to let our community get you the answers you need. Our forums are grouped into different areas broken down into specific areas that center are specific areas of interest so that guys like you can all hang out with others, such as airplanes, jets, cars, etc..... And within those areas the forums break down even further into more specific areas of interest. The Clubhouse that you posted in here is a great place to get started and is used for questions that don't "quite fit any place else". But in order to help get you a bit better answer to your questions, and to get you into contact with guys that are more along your line of the hobby I'm going to go ahead and move this thread to the RC Cars General Interest Forum. You should find that you will be getting more answers from "Car guys" over there.

On a bit of a more personal note, where in Missouri are you from?? If you don't mind me asking?? While I live in Oklahoma now I grew up in Rolla, and my mom lives outside of Sedalia now.

Once again, thanks for turning to RCU to get your questions answered. I hope we can take care of everything you need, and please don't hesitate to ask. Because you know what they say about the stupidest question is? The one that doesn't get asked!!!

Welcome to RCU

Ken
RCU Forum Manager
Old 11-22-2015, 07:46 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes, bacon makes everything taste better.

Have a look at the RTR AMP offerings from ECX. Probably something with a brushed motor and 2wd to keep the price low. There are a crap load of choices out there to be had. Getting a 1/10 RC from a reputable on-line hobby store is a must for someone just getting started into the hobby. I think a 1/10 scale RC will fit the fun factor the best for your price range. Going with a smaller scale will limit the places where you will be able to run a RC vehicle, and the larger 1/8 scale RCs will exceed your budget.

Last edited by RustyUs; 11-22-2015 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:57 AM
RustyUs

I now see that ECX/Horizon Hobby has lowered the price of the Torment short course trucks, and the Ruckus monster trucks...there is also a Circuit stadium truck in the ECX lineup for $149.99. Those would be another one of my top picks to start out with. I have no first hand experience with any of the ECX lineup, but after all the researching I did for choosing my last two RC purchases, I see ECX as a great way to get into the hobby. I would love to have one of the ECX's 4wd vehicles if it wasn't for the RTR packaging. I like to assemble RC kits, and put in my choice of budget oriented electronics. That's just me though .

Last edited by RustyUs; 11-24-2015 at 06:07 AM. Reason: wording
Old 11-23-2015, 11:57 AM
Bacon_Lover

Originally Posted by RCKen
First of all I want to welcome you to RC Universe. I'm glad that you turned to us to get your questions answered. We'll do our best to let our community get you the answers you need. Our forums are grouped into different areas broken down into specific areas that center are specific areas of interest so that guys like you can all hang out with others, such as airplanes, jets, cars, etc..... And within those areas the forums break down even further into more specific areas of interest. The Clubhouse that you posted in here is a great place to get started and is used for questions that don't "quite fit any place else". But in order to help get you a bit better answer to your questions, and to get you into contact with guys that are more along your line of the hobby I'm going to go ahead and move this thread to the RC Cars General Interest Forum. You should find that you will be getting more answers from "Car guys" over there.

On a bit of a more personal note, where in Missouri are you from?? If you don't mind me asking?? While I live in Oklahoma now I grew up in Rolla, and my mom lives outside of Sedalia now.

Once again, thanks for turning to RCU to get your questions answered. I hope we can take care of everything you need, and please don't hesitate to ask. Because you know what they say about the stupidest question is? The one that doesn't get asked!!!

Welcome to RCU

Ken
RCU Forum Manager
Thank you so much for the warm welcome everyone!! Wow

Ken,

I live in Independence Mo...which is (now) a subburb of Kansas City. I go through Sedalia all the time going down to the lake, it is a growing town.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:28 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacon_Lover
Thank you so much for the warm welcome everyone!! Wow

Ken,

I live in Independence Mo...which is (now) a subburb of Kansas City. I go through Sedalia all the time going down to the lake, it is a growing town.
Whenever I'm back up to my mom's house I always have to head into KC for Author's BBQ!!!!!

I plan on retiring back to Sedalia in about 5-8 years. My mom's place is about 42 acres of sweet Missouri farm and woodland. Growing up I hating going up there because it was always working the farm, outhouse, no tv, snakes, ticks, and chiggers. But now that I'm a bit older that land just seems to be quite a bit different and I can't think of anyplace else that I'd rather retire to!!!

Ken
Old 11-23-2015, 12:39 PM
Bacon_Lover

I hear you about that, it is nice to slow down and smell the roses.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:09 AM
RustyUs

And then you can go to the "other side of town" (Tower Hobbies) and check out the ARRMA line of trucks and buggies. There are video reviews for you to watch, and familiarize yourself with some of the vehicles.

I highly recommend reading/watching reviews on anything you plan on purchasing. Everyone has their opinions on what are the greatest RCs out there. In general, ECX, and ARRMA are (IMO) great choices for your price range. Traxxas RTR vehicles start around $180. I'm just here to tell you everything has a breaking point and each RC model has their pluses and minuses. Like I said before, buy from one of the top hobby stores on-line to get some of the best customer support should you need it. I'll throw this out there on an ending note...I've been dealing with Tower Hobbies since the mid 80's and never had a issue about anything.

Good luck