Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Need help with my Mini 8ight and helion dominis 10tr

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Need help with my Mini 8ight and helion dominis 10tr

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 12:15 AM
tenzing777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with my Mini 8ight and helion dominis 10tr

Hey guys , i just bough a new losi mini 8ight and i love it. I also had a helion dominus10 tr which i bough a few years ago and fixed it up at hobby town. Both of my rc cars have been changed to traxxas plugs. So i have a few questions ( i dont know a lot about rc ). My dominus after it got slow is very slow and makes a lot of noise. The hobby town guys said that the motor didnt have much life in it and that whas the reason behind the noise. So i bought a new motor called the TRAXXAS SLASH 4X4 ULTIMATe
Velineon VXL-3s 3351R Brushless 4-Pole Motor 3500kv + Motor Mount
First question is will it work with my dominus ?

I also bought 2 lipo batteries for my mini 8ight and was wondering if they would work with the helion too ?
The battery names are
Venom 20C 2S 4000mAh 7.4 Hard Case LiPO Battery with Universal Plug System

And
Gens ace 5000mAh 7.4V 50C 2S1P HardCase Lipo Battery .
Oh and my dominus has a castle sidewinder 3 instead of the original esc.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:17 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

1. Yes, it will be fine with the Sidewinder 3.

2. The Venom pack will not work due to the low C rating, but the Gens Ace will. For that truck, I would suggest a 35C minimum C rating for that four pole motor.

Battery; http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...ith-uni-plug-1

+15% off with promo code "SAVE15"!
Old 12-12-2015, 05:26 PM
tenzing777

Originally Posted by collector1231
1. Yes, it will be fine with the Sidewinder 3.

2. The Venom pack will not work due to the low C rating, but the Gens Ace will. For that truck, I would suggest a 35C minimum C rating for that four pole motor.

Battery; http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...ith-uni-plug-1

+15% off with promo code "SAVE15"!
Would the venom battery work with my mini 8ight ?
Old 12-12-2015, 10:41 PM
collector1231

Originally Posted by tenzing777
Would the venom battery work with my mini 8ight ?
Don't think so.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:01 AM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That 20C Lipo would "work" in the 8ight, in that it would make the car go. But the reason Collector is saying it wouldn't work is that the Venom pack may not have the ability to provide the Amps required by the motor system. (That low "C-rating") If you have a motor system that wants to draw more current than the battery can provide, that stresses the battery AND the motor system, because it can cause Voltage fluctuations in the ESC that can damage it. It's much better to spend a little more for a higher C-Rating and higher capacity. That Venom 20C 4000mah is on the small, weak side.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:46 AM
tenzing777

So i should return the venom and keep the gens ace ?
Old 12-13-2015, 09:52 AM
tenzing777

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSB9835

I checked on the losi website and it shows this battery as an upgrade. This battery has the same c rating and mah so why would that work and not the venom. Can someone please explain . Thanks and sorry im new to this.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:33 PM
collector1231

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
That 20C Lipo would "work" in the 8ight, in that it would make the car go. But the reason Collector is saying it wouldn't work is that the Venom pack may not have the ability to provide the Amps required by the motor system. (That low "C-rating") If you have a motor system that wants to draw more current than the battery can provide, that stresses the battery AND the motor system, because it can cause Voltage fluctuations in the ESC that can damage it. It's much better to spend a little more for a higher C-Rating and higher capacity. That Venom 20C 4000mah is on the small, weak side.
Pretty much this, but I'm saying it wouldn't work with the Dominus, not the 8ight. Sorry that I wasn't too clear about that.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:34 PM
tenzing777

oh ok thanks
Old 12-14-2015, 08:09 AM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand your confusion. Takes a while to get yer head around some of this technical stuff. I'd agree with Collector, that it would probably be ok to use the 20C in the losi mini, but definitely not the Sidewinder. While the Sidewinder 3 I believe is an improvement over the previous model (My buddy and I had SW2's and they both died a couple months after running them on NiMh packs) I wouldn't chance it.

It's kinda complicated, and I can't explain the details exactly, but what happens in an ESC when you run a battery that doesn't have the "juice" enough to supply the system is, it starts to create voltage droops in the ESC's components. These droops are only momentary, but they occur over and over again as the car is subjected to differing loads. These re-occurring droops propagate thru the ESC components but at different rates. Because of this, sometimes the voltage over here can be different that the voltage over there, and in some points in time, the voltage across a particular component can become effectively reversed from what the component expects. Some components don't like that, and they fail. This effect is called "ripple".