Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Best Brushless System

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 01:58 PM
CalebTheRCguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Brushless System

Hey, what's the best brushless system I could use for an SCX-10? (Price around or below 150)
Old 12-14-2015, 05:35 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

You are asking a very vague question. Is it for mud running, snow, rocks, trail, competition, etc.?
Old 12-15-2015, 05:02 AM
CalebTheRCguy

All I want is for it to be waterproof and have lots of torque and wheelspeed
Old 12-15-2015, 08:05 AM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off, you should realize that "waterproof" isn't. Electricity and water don't mix. Yeah, they have servos and ESCs that are water resistant, meaning, they can take getting "splashed". But if you think you can submerge them, you're over-confident in advertising. Then you have that LIPO pack. They are definitely not waterproof. So if yer thinking of making a submarine out of that SCX10, you'd better go do some more research on how to REALLY make the components able to take submersion. There's a lot more to it than just installing "waterproof" components. Plus you've got the REST of the car's moving parts, bearings, etc. Thorough cleaning with WD-40 is a must after submersion.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:09 PM
CalebTheRCguy

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
First off, you should realize that "waterproof" isn't. Electricity and water don't mix. Yeah, they have servos and ESCs that are water resistant, meaning, they can take getting "splashed". But if you think you can submerge them, you're over-confident in advertising. Then you have that LIPO pack. They are definitely not waterproof. So if yer thinking of making a submarine out of that SCX10, you'd better go do some more research on how to REALLY make the components able to take submersion. There's a lot more to it than just installing "waterproof" components. Plus you've got the REST of the car's moving parts, bearings, etc. Thorough cleaning with WD-40 is a must after submersion.
I know about at the bearings and stuff, I watch RC Sparks videos. I just need it to be snow proof.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:18 PM
collector1231

Originally Posted by CalebTheRCguy
I know about at the bearings and stuff, I watch RC Sparks videos. I just need it to be snow proof.
That's not good enough. Rob is right. RC cars should avoid all water and no RC is truly waterproof.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:32 AM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The most reasonable way I've heard about to make it safer in wet conditions is to basically "bag" everything. Put everything in its own truly waterproof enclosure. Receivers are fairly easy to get into a balloon. I'd put the battery AND the connector inside one. The servo can be sprayed with Plasti-Dip, but you still have the output shaft as a potential water entry point. You can apply some waterproof grease around the output shaft. (Don't put any on there if you're running in dry conditions.) That leaves the ESC. I have seen "receiver boxes" that are large enough to put the receiver AND the ESC in, and if you're running in snow, I'd think it'd be cold enough outside that the ESC wouldn't get too hot inside it. The one I'm thinking of actually has a pop-out vent too. Otherwise, even if the ESC says it's waterproof, I'd still want to figure out a way to at least shield it from splashes.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:17 AM
DieHarder

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEKAT&P=BN

This is a decent combo. Some say that it runs hot, I haven't had many issues of the sort. Only a couple instances, after really beating on it, has the motor hit 180*. It usually plays around at 150* on the motor and 110* or less on the ESC. I've submerged this many times and it keeps going. I did do some extra silicone sealing around the heatsink on the ESC, but it's not terrible necessary because the ESC's circuit board is epoxied. I usually WD-40 the motor bearings afterward as well. You can get this system cheaper off eBay, but if you use the promo code: 014DR , it will take $15 off your order. That'd bring it down to $127.98.

There is this combo too that's not too shabby.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...030200/p279186

Personally, if I was putting brushless in an SCX10, I would prefer a sensored motor. To be waterproof as well, that would be out of your price range most likely. (Unless you paired a Tekin Redline Gen2 motor [which you'd have to waterproof with some black tape] to a Dollar Hobbies VXL3S esc special off of eBay, which might pull it in just under your budget)

Last edited by DieHarder; 12-16-2015 at 10:20 AM.