Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Specific question regarding a new car

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Specific question regarding a new car

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 10:43 PM
sacramentobill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Specific question regarding a new car

I am a seasoned RC airplane builder and flyer. I want to get into rc cars. I am looking for a road car, or light offroad car. I want a kit. The more detailed/difficult the better. Cost is not a huge issue. I will be using it mainly on pavement perhaps occasionally on packed dirt. Performance is high on the list. No gas electric only. Can you please recommend a kit for me.

Thank you Bill
Old 12-21-2015, 03:38 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Strictly on-road...Team Associated TC7 Factory Team kit.
If you want a vehicle to see off-road action also, I'd look at getting a rally car. The only thing is...I don't know of any kits.

Do you have any scale in mind?
Old 12-21-2015, 05:21 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A rally car would provide lite off road ability without sacrificing much onroad prowess. The only rally kits I know of are from Tamiya and I'm not sure I'd call them ultimate performance models. But I think the vehicle that best meets your goals is a 1/10 4wd buggy. They aren't for rough off-road, but can do grass, are designed for surfaces like packed dirt and are pretty damn good and fast on pavement.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:57 PM
DieHarder

That TC7 tho
Originally Posted by RustyUs
Strictly on-road...Team Associated TC7 Factory Team kit.
If you want a vehicle to see off-road action also, I'd look at getting a rally car. The only thing is...I don't know of any kits.

Do you have any scale in mind?
Old 12-21-2015, 09:32 PM
sacramentobill

Thank you. As for scale I really don't care..
Old 12-22-2015, 06:29 AM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just get a 1/8 buggy. You can drop the suspension down and place street tires on it for on road travel, you can raise the suspension and put on offroad tires for fun in the dirt.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:58 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

What they said above ^^^ .

I think one's best bet is a 4wd platform to build. Probably an off-road platform the more I think about it. You can always lower off-road buggies. And then the problem of finding an on-road body to fit correctly...not too big of a deal. Choices would be so great to choose from if only manufacturers would produce kits of their RTR vehicles. If a person really wants to build something, more than likely (in this situation) they will have to buy a kit that's a racing breed type of RC.

Or do like we did back in the day with 2wd off-road buggies, and converting them to late model cars and what not...check out Jammin' Jay's RC10 from the movie Dead Pool.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:11 AM
cumquat

unlike the majority of their current lineup, the tamiya xv01 is actually designed with performance in mind http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCLUE&P=7
Old 12-25-2015, 12:36 PM
mugeyman

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sacramentobill well i have a mugen mbx7e and i put 1/8 on road tires and wheels and it fly's on
concrete but not hard clay i can recommend mugen mb7 e , teckno eb48.3 ofna electric buggy
kyosho mp9 tki 3 e , losi 3.0 e xray buggy , hot body (hb electic buggy most of these are kits to put together, and you must buy ( esc , batts and a good servo 125 oz plus for torque , see some videos on youtube for some of these electic buggies some may be rtr models too , the tekno eb 48.3 is a very nice buggy made , hope i helped you