Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Interchangeable parts - universal standard?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Interchangeable parts - universal standard?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 12:11 AM
m1tch_87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interchangeable parts - universal standard?

Hi all,

I am new to RC and I am currently looking at the gearing options, currently have a basic FTX Carnage nitro truck which has a .18 engine, stock clutch bell is 14t, spur gears are 50t in 1st and 45t in 2nd.

I am just wondering if there are any universal parts I can use to be able to swap out to different ratios as FTX (being a cheap and basic make) doesn't really have any hop up parts for transmission, although I have noticed that they do have a 16t clutch bell off a different model which I might be able to use.

Am I able to interchange clutch bells at all? Eg take a clutch bell from another .18 engine with the same shaft size and fit it to my engine? Also, are there any universal gear options - eg spur gears with multiple fitting holes to mount to various makes?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-11-2016, 09:00 AM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The only thing you have to be cautious of when switching to another companies clutch bell is making sure the pitch is the same. Also if its two speed I am imagining that the bell has duel gears ? You need to be sure you are pairing it up to two spurs that are similiar difference in teeth number so that the mess is still correct. I once attempted to put a Novarossi clutch bell on a Hyper and the mesh wasn't right.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:05 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

universal parts don't exist. Hell good chunk of parts generally don't work from one generation to the next in some RC model cases.

As said watch the pitch closely of the gears.

I remember on my 1st electric when I changed the pinion it said metric bought a gear in the same pitch in metric it ate the spur. Went to my LHS showed them the gear, and as the guy working there looked close said its wrong. Told him the pitch and he was like OHHH LETS TRY THIS FUNKY TAMIYA PITCH GEAR THAT PROBABLY IS IT, and it was.

Nitros generally are Mod 1(well all 6 or so I've owned over the years were the same) so you should be safe as pitch issues are more of an issue with electric. The only issue would be with the 2 speed like said above.
Spurs... I've seen a few that had holes for various brands, but then again those are kinda a crap shoot if they will have holes to line up.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:27 AM
Anthoop

Originally Posted by mattster1971
I once attempted to put a Novarossi clutch bell on a Hyper and the mesh wasn't right.
What Hyper and what Nova CB? Hyper 7/8/9/SS/ST are mod 1..
Old 02-11-2016, 01:25 PM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthoop
What Hyper and what Nova CB? Hyper 7/8/9/SS/ST are mod 1..
It was the Production model for the Serpent GT that was made by Novarossi. So it came with the Serpent dual gear clutchbell. I believe I couldn't get it to fit and mesh because the step down in size was not compatible with the step down in size from the other gearing. Not pitch in this situation.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:47 AM
m1tch_87

I might be looking to just run a single gear on the clutch bell - I have been informed that there are some clutch bells that have interchangable gearsets which you can swap out - does anyone know the name of these?
Old 02-13-2016, 04:48 AM
Anthoop

Originally Posted by m1tch_87
I might be looking to just run a single gear on the clutch bell - I have been informed that there are some clutch bells that have interchangable gearsets which you can swap out - does anyone know the name of these?
Look up Robinson Racing and either call or send them an e-mail.