Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Braking Whoa!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 04:10 AM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Braking Whoa!

What is the quickest to stop a ARRMA KRATON. I didn't realize it didn't have brakes.or I'm missing something... No damage yet,,,just looking ahead is all. Darn thing sure is fast!

Thx guys TAZZZZ
Old 03-19-2016, 10:05 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the quickest way to stop it is with a solid object like a tree, no more forward momentum when it hits one! It should have brakes though. If not there are 2 possibilities. One is the esc isn't calibrated to the radio correctly. Have a look in the instructions for how to calibrate the esc. Before calibrating the esc to the radio you'll want to center the throttle trim and make sure the end points are maxed out on both throttle and brake. Second possibility is the brakes are disabled on the esc for some reason. Do fix this you need to go into the settings of the esc, this is usually done with a program card or a computer interface, both of which would connect to the esc through the servo lead.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:58 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

If it's the stock ESC, don't touch the transmitter trigger when turning on the ESC. I believe the ESC tries to find neutral everytime you turn it on.

Last edited by RustyUs; 03-19-2016 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:56 PM
tazzzz

Problem is there are no instruction regarding calibrating the esc. b the book is extremely vague. All it says I need a computer that's all. Absolutely no in depth information at all. It doesn't even mention brakes whatsoever.,or any other calibrating info..Im a little disappointed seeing the money I spent for it! Don't know what to do shy of returning the whole unit. Gives only a sentence on each feature,,the rest of it is all in foreign language,,,drives me crazy.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:50 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

There is only four parameters to change on the stock ESC:

Running Mode: Forward/Brake/Reverse or Forward/Brake
Brake Strength: 80% 85% 90% 95% 100%
Motor Rotation
Battery: LiPo with LVC/NiMh no voltage cut-off

As far as needing a computer to change anything...this is not known to me. I always thought you could only access the parameters through the "set" button on the ESC power switch. The Arrma ESC that comes with the Kraton has no option to turn off the brakes. Like Maj_Overdrive said, make sure your throttle trim is in the neutral setting before turning on the ESC.

I would contact Armma if you still have no brakes.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:12 AM
Maj_Overdrive

My advice was based on what most esc's do and was pretty general, I didn't even try to lookup the instructions. Sounds like the instructions aren't much help and neither is Rusty or I, so contact Aarma. I'm sure they have a tech support number or at least an email, either in those instructions or on the website. And if it still doesn't have brakes after talking to them they're going to replace the esc with one that does. So take a deep breath, calmly explain the issue to them, follow their instructions and ask questions if you don't understand something. It'll all be ok.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:43 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Tazz, I get it, I really do...you spend serious money on something, and it has something stupid wrong with it. Like Major said, take a few deep breaths and call Arrma or look up the ESC instructions on line, if the manual is not clear on how to program and calibrate it. I did read that some of the initial releases had some ESC issues and Arrma replaced them for free. One way or another, the problem will be solved, and you'll be having fun. Patience!😇
Old 03-23-2016, 09:45 AM
tazzzz

I think I got it figured out. When going forward I push the trigger forward,,that seems to make it stop,,,is that the way its supposed to work. I guess I'm just used to my TRAXXAS nitro car,because it has actual brakes. Seems like it works ok the way I'm doing it,,I just don't want to overload the esc thinking it trying to go into reverse when I push the trigger forward. Am I doing right?
Thx TAZZZZ
Old 03-24-2016, 03:07 AM
Maj_Overdrive

Yup just push the trigger forward just like a nitro, the esc and motor will take care of the braking. The esc knows what it's doing and is built for this. Now you should be checking motor and esc temps though just to make sure everything is good, box stock setup should be fine though.

Just for knowledge, if there were mechanical brakes like a nitro the motor temps would be lower since it would be doing less work. The load placed on the motor determines how much work it does and how much heat it generates. Performing the following sequence places the highest load on the motor and esc, hard throttle from a stop, get up near top speed then hard brake to a stop. Doing this isn't bad, it's just the highest load. Do it repeatedly over and over without any coasting or rest then temps might start getting too high, repeat it enough and it becomes a torture test. But in most cases you won't be mimicking that sequence exactly. Bashing there will be coasting. In track racing you won't be able to accelerate to near top speed all the time, you also won't be stopping. These little details take load off the motor and lower temps. So feel free to do accelerate to top speed from a stop and then hard brake to a stop, repeat it if you want, just don't do it too many times in a row and everything will be fine.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:43 AM
tazzzz

Thankyou sir. I really appreciate all your assistance. I finally got the jist of it all. Pretty simple. Now that I'm entering a new realm of electrics ,I'm going out and have some ....FUN.
be careful guys.....and oh yeah,,keep it under a 100!
TAZZZZ