Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

How do you guys keep tires from blowing off on brushless cars?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

How do you guys keep tires from blowing off on brushless cars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 12:11 PM
madmax22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you guys keep tires from blowing off on brushless cars?

I have a hyper mini st-e running a vxl motor and castle esc on 3s 30c lipo. I just took it for m first real run and blew both front tires right off the car lol. It is wicked fast! I had them glued pretty well (or so I thought)... Any tips?
Old 03-25-2016, 01:19 PM
Redjet78

That's funny i had my puff up but never blow off i would get dome better tires ,rims,and glue them really well me and my son of never had that happened!!!!! Good luck Redjet78
Old 03-25-2016, 01:25 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Scuff the tire's bead, and clean the residual rubber releasing agent off the tires with Simple Green. Scuff the wheel's mounting flanges with a wire brush on Dremel tool. Clean wheels with some isopropyl alcohol. Use good CA glue. Switch to a solid tire if possible. Other than that...I got nothin'.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:30 PM
madmax22

Thanks guys, im running proline badlands and proline rims. Im going to try a stronger glue & ill clean everything thoroughly.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:49 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Also make sure your tires are very well balanced, and if they aren't, do so. The uneven weight causes momentum in that direction which will put stress on the glue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo8uq_WkcXA
Old 03-25-2016, 07:06 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beadlock rims are good too.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:39 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sheograth
Beadlock rims are good too.
Believe it or not I haven't had a headlock that can hold as well as glue.

Besides the tips for gluing you'll also want to check out the center differential. The front probably ballooned way more than the rears right? This indicates the center diff is "unloading" and sending more power to the front wheels since they have less traction. To send more power to the rear wheels you want to use a thicker silicone fluid than what you currently have in there. If you have grease going to a silicone fluid that about 10k will offer a huge improvement. You'll also likely be able to do some wheelies (if you have traction) which isn't possible with grease or thinner fluid and all the power going to the front.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:58 AM
madmax22

I actually locked the center diff just for this reason. It definitely wheelies lol. The rears balloon but because theyre usually on the ground not as bad. I need to balance them I should buy some puddy.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:29 AM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax22
I actually locked the center diff just for this reason. It definitely wheelies lol. The rears balloon but because theyre usually on the ground not as bad. I need to balance them I should buy some puddy.
Put a strip of tape around the inside of the tire, the tread portion to help reduce ballooning. Like duct tape or gorilla tape. but make it even and don't overlap. will throw off balance. then glue the hell out of them. Your putting a ton of power into tires and wheels that were probably not intended for 3s.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:24 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with making sure the tires clean, and the rims free of debris, and using a god glue
On my truggy I've had tires turn into pizza cutters due to ballooning up like 2 inches, and not rip off the rim
Old 04-06-2016, 01:24 PM
The Saylors

Ya mine just rip usually from sharp rocks. Clean and ruff the rim and you should be in better shape. Those badlands are good tires! Probably my favorite for the 2wd slash.

Update: these bad lands worked great while they lasted. Has anyone come across any immortal tires for 3s runs? I dont even care if the have low traction at this point, I'm just tired of buying tires. My slash has now eaten 3 sets of prolines (2 trencher sets and now 1 badlands set) so i think i'm done with that brand.

Last edited by The Saylors; 05-06-2016 at 01:38 PM.