Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

EC5 Connectors

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 04:18 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default EC5 Connectors

Two and a half years ago, I started swapping out my "Deans" connectors to EC5. I gave up after putting them on two ESCs. It was a size issue I suppose that I couldn't get past . I'm gonna give these things (EC5 connectors) another shot.

After installing the male bullets or "popping" them into place in the connector housing, I have a tad bit of wiggle/movement of the bullet when moving the wire from behind. Is this normal?

I've search the titles of threads for EC5 connectors and found nothing to answer this. If it's normal for the male bullet to have some movement, then YAY! If not...I'm going back to Tamiya molex connectors. Just kidding .
Old 04-05-2016, 04:57 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried EC5's once a while back and I do remember some movement between the conductor and the plastic housing. The conductor was free enough to rotate it in the housing by the wire and they did wiggle a little in the housing. I like that they're basically a bullet in a convenient plastic housing, I didn't like how hard they are to pull apart though. If you're looking for a similar connector Castle's connectors are the same concept, never used them, I've been happy with Traxxas connectors except when it comes to soldering them up. Nothing is as easy as soldering a bullet though.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:20 AM
RustyUs

Thanks for the insight on the EC5. I would love to try Castle's 6.5mm answer to the battery connector battle, but I have crap loads of these blue EC5s laying around. The price difference would also be a factor for me.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:03 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Yeah, I think that's normal Rusty. As long as the metal bits fit snugly, that's what's important.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:41 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

I should note I don't remember the conductor moving around in the housing when male and female ends are connected. So I'd say a good electrical connection is being made and it's nothing to worry about.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:00 PM
RustyUs

Well, I got two of my heavier rides, that use 3S packs, fitted with the EC5 connectors. After soldering the bullets up, and letting them cool, I put them in the backside of the connector housing to "snap" them into place. Using a small screwdriver, I began pushing on the bullet. Son of gun those things are tough. I had to get a better stance to get a bit more leverage and make some "manly" grunting noises to help the process along. Pow! The whole bullet shot right on through the housing missing it's mark.

I'm thinking to myself... what the heck?! Probably one reason why I gave up on the EC5 connectors before. So I unsolder the wire and start over again. The same freaking thing happened...the bullet just shot on through the connector housing again.

"Piss on it', I said. So I grabbed the opposite (female) mating bullet and put it on the male bullet. I began to push the bullets into the housing from the front side this time. With a little grunt....the bullet popped into it's little cavity.

I know the EC5 connectors I have are knockoffs, but it's just weird that I can only get the bullets go into the housing from the "front" of the connector. I 'll have to check the chamfered edges on the bullets to see if one pack is different from previous packs.