Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Is a leak in the pipe (muffler) bad and require replacement?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Is a leak in the pipe (muffler) bad and require replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 07:01 PM
nousborne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a leak in the pipe (muffler) bad and require replacement?

I have been having tons of issues recently with my 4.6 Truggy burning glow plugs. I mean like every time I run it, the plug burns out after 45 seconds. And that's if I can get it to run without stalling as soon as I give it some throttle from idle.

I started thinking maybe it was an air leak somewhere causing it to go very lean at high RPMs. So I replaced all my fuel lines and checked the gas tank for leaks (no leaks). It is still burning plugs immediately. Now I am soaking the engine and carb in PB blaster overnight in case it is a rust issue in which dirt/rust is getting into the glow plug.

After I filled the engine with the PB blaster, I noticed it dripping from out of the bottom my pipe, right near the middle. is it bad to have an air leak in the pipe? After all, 2 inches over from the leak is the wide opening in the pipe where all the exhaust exits. Could this tiny hole in my pipe be causing it to run lean and burn my glow plugs?

Thanks
Old 04-16-2016, 08:46 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

You should take the engine apart and inspect the bearings. If the bearings are bad, small fragments of rust or metal will kill a glow plug very quickly. I suggest posting pictures of the pipe issue your speaking of as well as a picture of the inside of the engine and glow plugs that blew.

FWIW - petroleum products are BAD for model engines. It will not dissolve anything miscible in glow fuel and certainly will NOT do anything for rust. If the bearings are rusty, they need to be replaced.