Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What have you done to your RC today?

Old 08-15-2016, 11:08 AM
The Saylors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So this weekend i had a pretty unique rc day. My cuz and i loaded up the slash and 8.2e and were off to find a bash spot. We ended up one of those forest service type roads that had been beat up pretty bad by jeeps/quads/dirt bikes. The trail featured a long relatively straight hill climb at a pretty steep grade. We got out to take a walk and check it out before we went through the effort of unpacking the cars. We noticed that there were two dirt bike riders half way up the hill and one was down and was just starting to get back up. Idiot wasn't wearing a helmet but he seemed as though he was ok so we kept walking. The riders started their bikes and left so we started up the hill. We could see were he wrecked do to the marks on the trail. Just up from were he hit the dirt we saw a smallish bird milling around. When my cousin (Ritchie) got close the bird just stood there. He picked the bird up and it just stood there. After a little detective work we figure that the guy on the bike was hauling a** down the hill and had a head on with the little bird which scared him into going down. So we came home from our rc day with unused batteries and a wild bird with a broken wing. My cuz and i are both suckers for animals especially little ones. I know that it isn't technically "rc" but that was how our outing went. Of course after all that the bird died but at least he didn't have to be eaten by something and was as comfortable as we could manage
Old 08-16-2016, 06:58 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

RIP birdie...
Old 08-16-2016, 07:43 AM
RustyUs

One little slip and bearing shield is shot...oops.

Happened when trying to use pliers as a bearing insertion tool. Pliers slipped off the inner race. First picture shows my anger and exaggeration of metal shield being punished. Last bearing picture is new bearing vs. "blown" bearing taken out of HobbyFans motor. The other bearing from the motor was almost seized up. Very hard to turn when placed on the end of needle-nosed pliers.

Getting the bearings out involved a little bit of banging. The new bearings also needed coaxing to find there way into the motor. Rotor may have been rubbing during my last run on the track. Blown bearing allowed the rotor to be run off center. There is lots of scrapes and scratches visible. Any permanent damage done? We'll soon see.

After finding/fixing one source of hot motor issue. It's time to check top shaft bearings, in the gearbox, for any damage done.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160815_182248.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	2177170   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160815_182138.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	2177171   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160815_181409.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	2177172   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160815_181400.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	2177173   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160815_181318.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	2177174   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160815_175929.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	2177175   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160815_175903.jpg
Views:	946
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	2177176  
Old 08-18-2016, 02:45 PM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by RustyUs
After finding/fixing one source of hot motor issue. It's time to check top shaft bearings, in the gearbox, for any damage done.
Found out one key part, of my SC10, was missing from the tranny...

The top shaft spacer . I'm really surprised I didn't melt, or strip the spur gear with the top shaft not being 100% secure in the gearbox. That spacer keeps the bearing from moving inward on the top shaft.

Armma spur gears: Thumbs up for taking the abuse!
Associated tranny: Thumbs up for taking the abuse as well!
Previous owner: Thumbs down for you dude .

Name:	ascc9602.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	2177487  
Old 08-18-2016, 03:14 PM
The Saylors

That is pretty impressive. Trannys like to break with all the pieces in place let alone with one missing.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:45 AM
shannon23455

Today I finally got around to fixing up the suspension with an upgrade to big bore shocks.
Now all I need is a new turnbuckle and it's come back well and good from its high speed meeting with a fence pole.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	2177518   Click image for larger version

Views:	515
Size:	711.0 KB
ID:	2177519   Click image for larger version

Views:	521
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	2177520  
Old 08-19-2016, 02:18 PM
Jimbo302

I finished assembling two RC10T's and took a group photo.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:08 PM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by Jimbo302
I finished assembling two RC10T's and took a group photo.

Holy Black Pan Awesomeness Batman! I believe you've lost the battle; gave up the struggle, and given in...given into the addiction. Stadium truck addict anyway .
Old 08-19-2016, 06:03 PM
Jimbo302

Holy Black Pan Awesomeness Batman! I believe you've lost the battle; gave up the struggle, and given in...given into the addiction. Stadium truck addict anyway .
Yeah, I'm thinking about selling a couple of them to get down to a more sane level.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:00 AM
RustyUs

Track maintenance imploding. I've got into a zone of laziness. I always take my dog outside when I run my RCs and he does his own thing most of the time when I'm at the track. Unfortunately he (dog) has hurt himself jumping higher; running harder, going further than he should have (welcome to old age, my friend) and I wanted to take it easy on him. I feel bad that I'm outside and must keep him cooped up inside. So I limit the dog's activities. Taking it easy on my buddy's leg is top priority. I haven't RCed in awhile because my sidekick (dog) likes to be outside and sneak up on me while running my cars on track .

Inside the house; letting the dog's leg heal, rebuilding shocks & trannies,and bidding on cheap POS RCs is where I've been during the past few weeks.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:25 AM
RustyUs

I'm waiting for the slow boat to show up with some low end RCs. Maybe a scam, as some people are thinking. They are mainly for birthday presents for my cousins. It's time they had their own RCs to run instead of them coming to my house to bash my stuff. I really don't mind at all. It's just they always get a sad face when it's time to leave, and sometimes ends in tantrums with their parents . Instead of me running down to Wally World to pick up some toy grade RCs, I thought I would get some cheap hobby grade junk RCs to amuse them with...just to see if they stick with it and desire more. I don't know if I am opening a can of worms by me buying possibly a disposable RC for a gift. Too early to tell.

Anyway, get out there and throw some dirt! (I really need to take my own advice)

Last edited by RustyUs; 08-29-2016 at 03:55 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:21 AM
Jimbo302

Track maintenance imploding. I've got into a zone of laziness. I always take my dog outside when I run my RCs and he does his own thing most of the time when I'm at the track. Unfortunately he (dog) has hurt himself jumping higher; running harder, going further than he should have (welcome to old age, my friend) and I wanted to take it easy on him. I feel bad that I'm outside and must keep him cooped up inside. So I limit the dog's activities. Taking it easy on my buddy's leg is top priority. I haven't RCed in awhile because my sidekick (dog) likes to be outside and sneak up on me while running my cars on track .

Inside the house; letting the dog's leg heal, rebuilding shocks & trannies,and bidding on cheap POS RCs is where I've been during the past few weeks.
Here is to a quick recovery.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:23 AM
Jimbo302

Threw on some rpm front arms.

Old 09-01-2016, 03:29 PM
RustyUs

Putting some laps on the one SC10 with a low budget motor that has been fitted with some new bearings. Diff started "barking" a tad bit under very hard acceleration. Not a lot, but enough to catch my attention, and only on the parts of the track where grass/weeds are providing the more-than-normal traction. Perhaps the Badlands are the major cause. I love them tires otherwise.

Other note: Tower Hobbies starting to sell Redcat Racing RCs . I'm not quite sure how I feel about that. Also, heard wind of Tower Hobbies picking up HoBao products. I can't confirm that one...yet.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:48 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Putting some laps on the one SC10 with a low budget motor that has been fitted with some new bearings. Diff started "barking" a tad bit under very hard acceleration. Not a lot, but enough to catch my attention, and only on the parts of the track where grass/weeds are providing the more-than-normal traction. Perhaps the Badlands are the major cause. I love them tires otherwise.

Other note: Tower Hobbies starting to sell Redcat Racing RCs . I'm not quite sure how I feel about that. Also, heard wind of Tower Hobbies picking up HoBao products. I can't confirm that one...yet.
That's interesting. A good move for redcat. One of their issues has always been too many dealers who are either only in it for the $ or are just a dropshipper who doesn't care once the sale is made. Tower Hobbies will take care of any warranty issues out of the box. I know redcat has some stuff that either isn't worth the money or that is only so-so and you would be better off spending the extra $ for a better brand. But they do also have some models that are well worth the $ IMO. If they can weed out the bad dealers that will help improve customer satisfaction. Getting there stuff on a site like Tower will mean more sales and those sales going through a trusted dealer who cares about the customer.

Ive been building small battlebots! My son and I did some battling today. Fried a drive servo though

Name:	0901161537.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	2179243  

Last edited by nitrosportsandrunner; 09-01-2016 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:24 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Made a RC floor sweeper the other day out of a pile of scrap parts

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-c...-creation.html

Name:	Dsc_0003.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	331.7 KB
ID:	2179577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dsc_0002.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	320.3 KB
ID:	2179578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dsc_0001.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	344.5 KB
ID:	2179579  
Old 09-11-2016, 04:11 PM
RustyUs

Default Bye bye buggy?

Playing with the thought of selling my buggies. I seem to go through this notion every couple of months or so. Then another RC is in need of repair, or needs worked on. This gives me a chance to run my old buggy again. I used to run my B4 everyday at the track, but lately SC/ST trucks and Yeti are top priority when it comes to daily bashing. Having put the B4 through it's paces again, it brings back the great feeling of 2wd off-road track bashing. If I didn't have an off-road track to run on, I'd think the B4 and B4.2 buggies would have been gone years ago.

Man, it gets dark out quick now. Make the most of your outdoor fun.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:41 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We're still waiting for race season to start. (Rain) Track is too dry and dusty until it gets some rain. Soon, I hope.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:23 AM
seedygreenute

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Cursed at my battery charger because it would not let me charge a 1S battery .
Then I realised it was still set on Balance Charge !!! ... I must be getting old !!!
Old 09-16-2016, 03:11 AM
shannon23455

Finally got my trophy truggy up and running. New clutch and flywheel, upgraded shocks, and new tuned pipe. Still trying to work out tuning of these things. Thinking I'm close. https://youtu.be/B1uye8KaesQ
Old 09-19-2016, 06:26 AM
RustyUs

Default Acetone baby. Acetone.

After destroying one of my stadium truck rims on my SCT for testing, my frugal self resorts to reusing wheels. Digging through box of bald tires...I found wheels that still had almost perfect pin grooves. Acetone-ing is my preferred method of tire removal. Time consuming? Yes. Mostly just waiting for the acetone to do it's thing. I'm a double-dipper when it comes to dissolving CA glue. Once to get the tires off the rims (leave wheels/tires soaking overnight if I don't care about the foams), and another dunk to get any leftover CA/rubber softened up for Xacto blade, and finish up the bead of the reused wheel with Dremel wire wheel. If I want to save, and reuse the foams I just do the acetone vapor method.

I can't find pin drive white dish Losi XXT wheels anymore. I can, but I'm not paying $24~$30 for 2 wheels...sellers know they are hard-to-find-great-wheels, and jacked up the price . Fortunately, I have a supply of them rear wheels, but I'm trying to make them last as long as possible.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:47 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't done anything in a couple weeks. I fractured my right wrist (And yes, I'm right handed), so RC has been out. I can't articulate my fingers to work or handle a controller
Old 09-26-2016, 02:47 AM
Lonnz

The 3 of us (cousins) were fairly busy with our RCs, all I did was put on an eliminator slipper clutch, my cousin R bought a set of Antic Speed treads and ordered 2 more Senton bodies, don't understand why he bought them the color as the original, but hey, that's his joint, not mine. My other cousin has something coming from Amazon today and he picked up a few items when went to HobbyTown in Concord.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:34 PM
RustyUs

After bringing, pizza home, getting homework (kids) started, making supper for the child who doesn't like pizza , washing work clothes...I had time for one run at the track before sun light was no more. Today's contestant, Duratrax Evader ST with new rear tires. It's been awhile since the ST got some serious track time. It has been taking a backseat to the SC10, and other RCs of late, because of me not getting around to fixing the rubber issue.

I now realize I need to up my game in the servo department in the Evader. I've used the temporary slowpoke RTR servo long enough. Currently waiting for upgrade to make it's way ashore.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:30 PM
T I G

Originally Posted by sheograth
I haven't done anything in a couple weeks. I fractured my right wrist (And yes, I'm right handed), so RC has been out. I can't articulate my fingers to work or handle a controller

Ouch, hope your healing goes smooth and quick.

I've been on quite the RC hiatus.
Its been years. I do have some pretty amazing news though. I found my first ever RC kit car. It was a gift from my grandfather many many moons ago. Since I was young and stupid, I did not take care of it and pretty much ruined it. I have been searching for one for years. About a month ago, I FOUND ONE. The box was opened but never assembled, New never used still wrapped in its plastic. When I mean searching for one for years, I mean I have spent the last 15 + years looking for one. Finally one has popped up. I will post pictures as soon as I receive it. Its coming from Finland so it may take some time as I'm in NC.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.