Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Why this RC car hobby is for the birds.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Why this RC car hobby is for the birds.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 06:38 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well generally I'm not this big of a jerk, but I'm going to rip this post to shreds

Originally Posted by davenport_95
I have been considering a nice-hobby-grade police car lately. I have done some on-line research and I am disappointed.
It seems like this idea is just much more troublesome than it is worth pursuing.
Your research is a failure

1. limited selection of RC-related products and
services (like complete RC body shops to build DREAM CARS for INDIVIDUALS and complete model building/customization shops) on the market to suit a wide variety of tastes and needs
(I like police cars with authentic body hardware and accessories with 4-door sedan bodies,
not much in this hobby for me personally except for cheap toys which often lack proportioned steering and throttle)
Problem is LICENSING you have to pay automotive makers to make vehicles that look like theirs. As for customization shops there isn't much money in it. I've seen a few, and they went under due to lack of people wanting to pay how much they required. People say they want a custom made RC, but don't want to pay the $700-$1000 for said custom RC no they expect it to be $50 like the crap at walmart. Hell prior to the LHS I went to going under I once was in line listening to some guy saying what he wanted, and when they told him how much all his customization were he was like WHAT YOUR INSANE I CAN BUY A RC AT TOYS R US FOR $50! they told him go to toys r us then.

2. limited knowledge/how-to resources for newcomers
Why I said your research is a failure this site alone has a pile of sticky posts with virtually all the info you could want, and I've seen many others.

3. unless one knows somebody adept at this hobby, very tough to find professional paid help to assist in building a model
Again go to your local hobby shop, and ask they almost ALWAYS have someone on staff, or know someone that will build it.
It's the same as the customization shops you can't make a living doing it so you aren't going to advertise you do it.

4. like surfing, the RC community seems clannish, not welcoming newcomers
Complete BS the RC community is EXTREMELY open(well ok the flyboys can be clannish as they all have their heads in the clouds ) you can go on most RC forums, and ask questions, and people will happily answer as long as you aren't being condescending, or asking something not answered 15 times on the 1st page of posts, or answered in the FAQ's (which most newbie questions are).
In all honesty I looked at your first thread about the RC Cop car(after I made this initial post), and seen 2 people try to help you. I don't think it's too much to expect someone posting on a RC forum to have the basic easy to find knowledge already. It would be like if I went on a automotive site site asking for help repairing my truck. It would be unreasonable to expect people not being paid to hold my hand through everything people would expect me to already know the names of parts, and how to use tools same goes here.

5. this idea that light buckets and LED light kits are not widely available from
the factory by RC model manufacturers for many car models and model kits
at LEAST as an option
hmm this again is not a huge issue as the average person doesn't give a damn about things like this. This is more of a scalers department, and those are generally custom rigged RC's. Most offroad RTR RC's are made to be smashed, thrashed, beaten, and abused. LED kits kind of remove a lot of the durability. Last time I looked Tamiya had the option on some of their on-road touring cars, but you are paying a premium.

6. bodies by the vendors that often have to be trimmed by hand very unlike the nice stamped hard bodies that come in Monogram
or Revell static model kits with the wheel wells "already cut out" and molded in color
Lexan is flexible, and wont shatter if it gets hit like your nice hard bodies by those model companies.
It is clear so you can paint from the INSIDE as most RC's flip, and scrape you don't have to repaint the shell after every run.

Reasoning it is left like untrimmed that is some people paint the body prior to trimming the spare lexan away to prevent over spray. Also some of us find uses for that spare scrap lexan believe it or not.

Those Revell, and Monogram bodies are made via injection molding where they inject plastic into a mold so it pops out in that neat shape. Lexan is done via vacuum forming sheets(its also why they lack finer details), and pre-cutting them out would add greatly to the cost. Now I've seen some pre-cut bodies, but they cost quite a bit more then the uncut (were talking 20-50% more)

Until this hobby improves and becomes more accommodating to more people,
I will most likely stick with cheap toy cars from China.

As for the cop car its not hard to make there have been plenty of people that have made them.

Or why I said your research was a failure

http://www.horizonhobby.com/VTR03042...FWoz0wod-TsO2A
came up in google for RC COP CAR

I will say its lacking a siren, and headlights though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOeglg7IaSU video of someones custom one with a link in the description to a store that sells the siren http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/policesiren.html

Originally Posted by Hemikiller
You'll also find, once you get into the hobby, that most people have a "show" body, and one or more that that actually run the car with. RC cars take a beating, intentional or otherwise. I did lots of customizing when I was deep into the Tamiya craze in the late 80's. All those cool lights and doo-dads just pop off or break the moment you have a run in with a solid object. Flip that car over and your $100 light bar is now smeared across the pavement in little pieces. The hobby is far more about function than form.
Agree I've done the cool doodads on my on-road like light buckets one good hit fell off, and ripped the paint off with it so I had to patch up the paint, and reglue the light bucket in.

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 05-13-2016 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:42 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
I think we are.
Never said it was uncivil. There are just many ways I can see this thread going bad.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:25 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by collector1231
Never said it was uncivil. There are just many ways I can see this thread going bad.
Yup, I know. And sometimes we just need to let it ride. Sometimes threads get needlessly closed when the discussion gets heated.

I think everyone handled things pretty well overall so far.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:29 AM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemikiller
There's a reason why hardly anyone one makes a 4-door body - no market. Kinda like why the 4 door Chevelles were scavenged for parts for their 2 door brethren. If you can't find what you need in the market, you'll need to either settle for what's available, make it yourself or pony up to have it made. I'm sure there are plenty of guys out there that would be glad to fire you up a custom body mold and vacu-form up a couple lexan bodies for the right price.

You'll also find, once you get into the hobby, that most people have a "show" body, and one or more that that actually run the car with. RC cars take a beating, intentional or otherwise. I did lots of customizing when I was deep into the Tamiya craze in the late 80's. All those cool lights and doo-dads just pop off or break the moment you have a run in with a solid object. Flip that car over and your $100 light bar is now smeared across the pavement in little pieces. The hobby is far more about function than form.
he just wants to drive his show piece around slow for the neighbors to be impressed remember, read above. he won't need multiple bodies unless he is a terrible driver. the problem is he wants total customization, interior and exterior. It won't be much of a performer anyway.. it will be so weighted down with seats and dash and cosmetics. Seems like you should just buy one of those models you glue together and paint. This isn't what the RC hobby is about. People like cars that are nicely put together or lots of Bling but you have to have a functional vehicle, and most of us don't get the cars or make a car just to impress our neighbors.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:02 PM
davenport_95

No, I don't need any INTERIOR. My car is to have the windows dark-grayed out completely. It is all about the exterior.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:02 PM
davenport_95

but I am SPECIAL
Old 05-16-2016, 03:05 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by davenport_95
but I am SPECIAL
LOL!!!! There it is! More "me" now.

Good luck with whatever it is you end up doing. The thread has been a laugh riot!