Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

First stadium truck for competition

Old 05-17-2016, 09:11 AM
S197Insano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First stadium truck for competition

I have decided into the hobby in the past few weeks. It's been 6 or so years and I pulled out the 3 vehicles I still have, original LST, original Losi 8ight buggy and HPI RS4 evo 3. These were all RTR and have never built a kit.

Researching my rear off and have seen various models, from the TLR 22t 2.0, RCT5M and DEST210R 22T, as well as a few nitro.

Electric would be new for me, as well as building a kit. I will be using a Futaba 4PK and it would be throwing away money to get a RTR kit, but it isn't much. I looked at a ton of reviews, forum posts and any resource I could find. The review videos and sites seemed to favor the non-RTR kits for racing. I would imagine as long as I took my time, asking for help to pick a motor, ESC, etc. that it wouldn't be anything impossible and also a great experience that would give a much better understanding of how the truck works.

The local club (RC3 in Huntsville, AL) has an open mod stadium truck class and that what is driving me to have something competitive. Assuming open mod is electric...

Any advice, recommendations, links to info are very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Joe
Old 05-17-2016, 01:28 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by S197Insano
...Researching my rear off and have seen various models, from the TLR 22t 2.0, RCT5M and DEST210R 22T, as well as a few nitro.

Losi, Associated, or Kyosho. More than likely, those are the ones you will find on the track. And since you have a place in mind to race at, just take a look around the pits and see what everyone is running. Is there a hobby shop with that local club? If the hobby shop only has parts for Associated and Losi...there's your answer.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:47 PM
S197Insano

I'm 38 and an IT Engineer and have always researched the mess out of whatever I buy, plant, etc. with a hobby. I've found the plethora of information from the Internet, including forum experts (the folks who know their stuff normally are easy to spot) really beats out what can be had from the locals. Some just don't like sharing good information, contradictory to what it takes to be successful in the Information Technology field.

Ive been looking today and it seems most folks are more knowledgeable when it comes to things other than stadium trucks. They've been out of the picture, so maybe that's why there aren't many reviews and just plain old information in general when it comes to things later than 2013.'

I found tons of reviews on other things. Non-race stuff is all over, X-Maxx, Yeti XL (nice looking rides), as welol as some bash/race types like SC trucks. I have to say, Traxxas or not the Slash Platinum and Ultimate models look tempting...just seem to be geared at bashing with a sensor less motor. Makes me rethink things and consider just buying something electric for bashing and maybe get the Losi 8ight runNing and race it.

The min/max part in me wants to do a kit for racing, but maybe a brasher is what I should look at. So many more choices in 2016....cool technological advances in the past 6 years.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:52 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

NORTH ALABAMA! You're local to me! I race at RC3 all the time, so I'm probably the best source for information, lol. Open mod is indeed electric, as well. Stadium truck is not a massive club at RC3, but there's normally a class of them. For a chassis, RC Hobbies (hobby shop there) has bunches of Associated parts as well as a fair bit of TLR. I'd suggest the RCT5M, as the mid motor is what most of the people who podium use. For a motor, get an 8.5 to start out and then work your way down to a 6.5 for stadium truck class.

If you're gonna be out there the race after the upcoming one this weekend, hit me up. I can probably let you pit with me if you bring your own chairs and table.

Last edited by collector1231; 05-17-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:20 PM
S197Insano

Thanks for the info, Collector...will hit you up when I plan to be there.

Maybe I should be looking at another class to race if the ST class isn't where it needs to be yet. Hate to sink money into something that may end up as a basher and it isn't good for bashing. Am I right this isn't the one for that? Should've done the Losi 8ight electric conversion way back when lol.

I was looking at the RCT5M again this morning and it really seemed to perform well in the videos. Is there a write up for what all is recommended as far as parts are concerned? Looking right this moment, hope my trigger finger doesn't jump and buy a Yeti XL or God forbid...a Traxxas SC or X-MAXX.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:32 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Yeah, the T5M isn't much of a basher. Considering now that it will be a basher/racer, I suggest a Team Associated SC5 so you can race in the 17.5 SC class at RC3 which is a total blast. Its easily my favorite class as everyone is pretty darned equally matched.

BTW, I removed the thread in the wrong subforum if you're wondering where it went.

Last edited by collector1231; 05-17-2016 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:11 AM
S197Insano

Somehow missed the last post, or part of it. It looks like I'm looking at around the same cost when comparing 2wd and 4wd. Didn't see a 4wd kit on the Team Associated site and am not opposed to 2wd or set on 4wd. I guess I hadn't even considered 2wd or 17.5 as an option, but going 2wd might be a way to steer clear of the drivers who just like wrecking or think they're in a demolition derby. Traxxas Slash looked like a good truck in the beginning, but seeing how many folks buy and have them for sale a month or two later. I would imagine the 17.5 setup is considerably cheaper, but also not enough motor to have fun playing around with? Remember, nitro only here in the past.