Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Rollover protection / wing skid

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 11:53 AM
Jimbo302

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rollover protection / wing skid

I have an rc10t4 I would like to add a shock tower skid plate or some type of protection to. What's the easiest way of going about it?
What are you using?
Old 06-05-2016, 06:28 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I can't say I've ever seen a wing or skid used at the front or rear shock tower on a stadium truck. For a wing, on the rear end of a stadium truck, I use scrap pieces of Lexan and double sided tape. Sometimes I use both double sided tap and nuts/bolts/washers to mount wing on rear lip of the body. After awhile, my cartwheeling endeavors take their toll on the wings, and I get tired of replacing/repairing the darn things...I just run without one .

Originally Posted by Jimbo302
I have an rc10t4 I would like to add a shock tower skid plate or some type of protection to. What's the easiest way of going about it?
What are you using?
To fully understand what you are trying to do, you are talking about which shock tower? I'm not trying to be a smart alec, but I use my truck body as my shock tower protection . I've used the same body since around 2006 and it's beaten up pretty bad, but I run my ST 99% of the time off-road. The "skid plate thing" sounds like you are running on asphalt, and that is the cause of some road rash issues you are describing.

Last edited by RustyUs; 06-05-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:55 AM
RustyUs

It's funny that you brought the subject up. I've just ordered, a couple of weeks ago, a crap load of wings for my B4 buggies to last me for a couple of years (I hope). Wing abuse ...that is one area of buggy bashing that goes hand in hand. Side dams are currently in need of some repair on mine. I personally don't think a buggy wing does too much, in the form of aerodynamics, in my backyard track running/bashing situation. The wing is on my buggies for more "look" than anything, 'cause I can't stand running a buggy without one. Back in the day, when racing, I'd just chuck a wing that was not looking "fresh". Now that I'm a frugal RCer, and don't care much what body and wings look like, Shoe Goo, or E6000 is becoming my friend.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:25 AM
Jimbo302

The rear shock tower and shocks/mounts have some damage due to sliding upside down.
I would like to prevent it from happening again by adding some type of roll bar or skid plate just above the rear shock tower.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:59 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jimbo, you ARE running the car with the body on, right? If so, I don't understand how the rear shock tower is getting any damage or scrapes, as both shock towers are under the lexan body. (Which is why I like stadium trucks over buggies) Unless of course, the body is so damaged that there IS no more protection provided. If that's the case, buy another body!
Old 06-05-2016, 10:03 AM
RustyUs

I'm sorry I'm having a hard time trying to understand what you are wanting to protect. The T4 body covers the shock towers, and any skidding/scrapping that is done would be on the body. You want to keep the body (rear shock "humps") from skidding on the areas circled in red. Right?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	t4 body.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	2166070  
Old 06-05-2016, 10:57 AM
Jimbo302

Yes. This T4 actually has one of the shock mount locations wiped out from a previous skid in the roof. I was thinking some sort of bar that would attach to the chassis through two small holes in the body.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:02 AM
RustyUs

After thinking a bit about a bar being used in your situation, I'd say a bar would just be grabbed by something (as you skid upside down) and put stress on the shock tower. If you would brace a bar to the chassis, do it at two points, and not just on the shock tower. Keep in mind then that you would also have to modify the body to have an opening if something was to be mounted to the chassis. My other thought would be to somehow repair the body with some aluminum cone shaped pieces; shoe gooed into place .

Last edited by RustyUs; 06-06-2016 at 04:08 AM.