Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

decided to get back into it again

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 07:04 PM
spawne32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default decided to get back into it again

Buddy of mine came around with his Losi sct and we played with it for about an hour and it got my interest again lol after being out of it for 5 years because of how much money was invested. Decided to buy a short course truck for recreational use. Always wanted a team durango SCT and I happened to come across a brand new in box DESC410v2 brand new in back for less then 50% of MSRP, so I decided to snatch it up. Just a bit undecided on how I should equip it now that I have it. Was curious if anyone had any pointers on what would be a good motor and esc combo using the out of the box parts?
Old 07-03-2016, 04:28 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

You picked up one awesome ride! I might have picked one up a while back, but I didn't want to start investing in saddle packs just yet . You have the best opportunity, in buying what you need, now that you are getting back into the hobby. You will be able to get some great 550 sized motor/ESC combos starting in the low one-hundred dollar range. How much top brand name gear you put in the SC is up to you. If you want to go "all out"...Tekin Pro4HD. Nuff said .

Last edited by RustyUs; 07-03-2016 at 05:40 AM. Reason: added link
Old 07-03-2016, 04:36 AM
RustyUs

I know you said "recreational use". One question: Do you plan on racing at all?

If so, I'd suggest you look at sensored motors for the simple fact of more precise low end control of motor.

Dont' care about sensored/sensorless, and just wanna get out there and throw dirt? I got just a few names to throw at you...Maclan Diamondback, SkyRC Toro, HobbyWing, and Castle Creations. To be on the safe side of things, I'd look at no less than a 120A ESC coupled with no less than a 3500kv motor. I'm old , and 3000kv is almost to much for my liking these days .

Last edited by RustyUs; 07-03-2016 at 05:47 AM.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:19 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

It looks like a lighter 4x4 SCT platform, so the motor should not be too powerful. RustyUs, I have had nothing but bad luck with Viper/Maclan racing products from day one and I would not buy another Viper product again. Also, for a 4x4 SCT, you want a higher KV (somewhere around 4200-5000KV) and a lower turn rating (7.5 to 3.5 at lowest).

Motor; http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atomik-Red-1...25.m3641.l6368

ESC; http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Truck_ESC.html
Old 07-03-2016, 07:11 AM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doncha think 5000kv would be too much? Racers keep it below 3500kv. 4200kv would be fast for bashing but still have enough torque to keep temps down. 5000+kv I would think would get too hot. Unless you used a fan.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:55 AM
collector1231

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
Doncha think 5000kv would be too much? Racers keep it below 3500kv. 4200kv would be fast for bashing but still have enough torque to keep temps down. 5000+kv I would think would get too hot. Unless you used a fan.
I race with a 5000KV Novak 4.5T and I have never had a problem. Novak actually recommends it for a bunch of 4x4 SCTs. But either way, the motor I selected is only 4400KV.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:57 AM
spawne32

That's what ive been a bit unsure about, i havent found too many 1/8th size motors beyond 2600kv, and if my calculators are right using the gear ratios I have seen, that would lead to a whopping 10-15mph top speed. I don't want to exceed probably about 30-35mph on the street, just makes it uncontrollable. I have been down that road, most of our last cars could hit 60-70mph because we just bought the biggest motors money could buy. There just isnt enough room for it unless I plan on racing it on one of our highways lol. I wan't to put good components in it, but don't plan on spending a small fortune this time around. But heres a list of thing's I have been considering.

Proline BFGoodrich Baja T/A KR2 SC 2.2"/3.0" M2 (Medium) Tires Sale Price: $23.76
Turnigy nano-tech Ultimate 6000mah 2S3P 90C Hardcase Lipo Saddle Pack (ROAR & BRCA Approved) $46.99
Turnigy TrackStar Waterproof 1/10 Brushless Power System 4000KV/80A $66.54
Turnigy™ 620DMG High Torque - DS/MG 10.6kg / 0.13sec / 52g (AR Warehouse) $19.66

this is gonna take a while for me to build so im not in a rush to buy these parts, i realize some of it may be considered very cheap by the rc world but this is like i said for recreational, I dont need a 200 dollar servo to work the steering. lol I am open to all suggestions though!
Old 07-03-2016, 09:03 AM
spawne32

Or run something like this... Turnigy TrackStar Waterproof 1/8 Brushless Power System 2300KV/120A with a higher tooth pinion.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:08 PM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by collector1231
... RustyUs, I have had nothing but bad luck with Viper/Maclan racing products from day one and I would not buy another Viper product again. ...
And is the same reason why I normally don't consider anything from overpriced Venom/Atomik gear . I'm not here for a pissing battle...I'm just saying.

Viper motor has never failed in my flying pig (Yeti ) of an RC.

For the OP: I should have said in the beginning, like I normally do... Just do a little bit of homework and I'm sure you'll come up with a plan . There is no reason to go into this hobby blindly nowadays. Video reviews, forums, and whatnot ...the www has got it all in front of you for the taking. You sometimes have to cram all the info you can find on one specific item, and come up with your own conclusion.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:07 PM
collector1231

Originally Posted by RustyUs
And is the same reason why I normally don't consider anything from overpriced Venom/Atomik gear . I'm not here for a pissing battle...I'm just saying.

Viper motor has never failed in my flying pig (Yeti ) of an RC.

For the OP: I should have said in the beginning, like I normally do... Just do a little bit of homework and I'm sure you'll come up with a plan . There is no reason to go into this hobby blindly nowadays. Video reviews, forums, and whatnot ...the www has got it all in front of you for the taking. You sometimes have to cram all the info you can find on one specific item, and come up with your own conclusion.
Overpriced is $34 for a 550 4.5T motor? Yeah, thats SOOO over priced.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:44 PM
spawne32

So im about half way through the build book, my fingers are sore from trying to work with all these small little tedious parts. lol I have a turigy 620DMG that should be here saturday so i can assemble the rest of the steering components and still trying to figure out what to do for wheels and tires here.