Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

First RC

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 06:42 PM
WH0TH3MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First RC

I'm looking to get into the RC world. I have drove my friends nitro RC car once and enjoyed it. I read some of the beginners guide and such on here just to get some ideas. I don't know much yet about them but thought I should at least get some guidance of where to start.

Things I'm looking for:
-rtr
-durable/ reliable
-lots of upgrades and parts available
-car for more off roading (gravel, dirt, grass, so on)

Would electric be able to provide me with all of these things? Or would I get better performance on nitro?

The point of me getting into this hobby is obviously for the fun of driving it, but also to have something to modify and make my own.

What is a good starting place? I'm not positive on my budget quite yet, but if I could be running for under $300, that would be great.

Other quick questions:
-Are there a lot of home mods that can be done with household objects?
-Any laws about driving them?

Thanks for your time!

Last edited by WH0TH3MAN; 07-23-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:21 AM
Strider64

Originally Posted by WH0TH3MAN
I'm looking to get into the RC world. I have drove my friends nitro RC car once and enjoyed it. I read some of the beginners guide and such on here just to get some ideas. I don't know much yet about them but thought I should at least get some guidance of where to start.

Things I'm looking for:
-rtr
-durable/ reliable
-lots of upgrades and parts available
-car for more off roading (gravel, dirt, grass, so on)

Would electric be able to provide me with all of these things? Or would I get better performance on nitro?

The point of me getting into this hobby is obviously for the fun of driving it, but also to have something to modify and make my own.

What is a good starting place? I'm not positive on my budget quite yet, but if I could be running for under $300, that would be great.

Other quick questions:
-Are there a lot of home mods that can be done with household objects?
-Any laws about driving them?

Thanks for your time!
I'm just getting back into the RC Scene after about a 15-20 years absence. I was a nitro person, but this time I went around I'm going with electric. As a person new to the RC scene I would suggest going with electric. RC companies have vastly improved battery technology since I first used electric (that's how I got interested in RC), for they improved power and run time of the batteries. You can do upgrades to electric that is on par with nitro ( and sometimes better) minus the engine portion of it. Electric is even faster for the most part than nitro. One of the reasons I am not going back into nitro is that you have to break in the engine, you're always "fine" tuning the engine, fuel can get expensive (electric can be expensive to start with, but after that not so much) and I find it dirty (the fuel leaves a slimy residue besides the regular dirt). Don't get me wrong nitro can be fun and if you enjoy being a grease monkey (my term for a mechanic) then nitro might be for you.

To answer your questions,
1. Not really unless you are some kind of MacGyver. The best thing to do is just replace the parts as you break them unless you're upgrading the vehicle.
2. There are some laws prohibiting when you can run your vehicle if your are running them on an outside track. Nitro is sometimes banned and certain things you might not able to do, such as using bullhorns or having professional (sponsor) racing meets, etc...

As for what the best vehicle for you, someone else will probably be best to answer it, for like I said I'm just getting back into RC myself.

Last edited by Strider64; 07-24-2016 at 04:19 AM.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:54 AM
mugeyman

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

hi whothman , imo look in 1/8 scale buggy or truggy its the best bang for your money electric or nitro
electric is faster and decent batteries cost , charger for the batteries the run time is shorter with electric
with nitro you have to learn how to tune a nitro engine and break it in , can refuel on the fly , these rtr
hit speeds of 45mph and above with out modification , some tips on rtr manufactures in electric and nitro
are losi eight 3.0 -4.0 , team associated rc8 , mugen seiki mbx7 ,kyosho mp9 tki3 ,tki4 , xray , hot bodies ,agama , look at the manufactures reviews and test of these rc vechicles , on youtube, and it will help you in your decision for bashing and racing or both ok mugey
Old 07-24-2016, 04:42 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mugeyman
hi whothman , imo look in 1/8 scale buggy or truggy its the best bang for your money electric ....
I couldn't agree more. The larger scale buggy has been my most durable RC yet. The only thing to overcome is the initial cost, and the OP's original budget thoughts will more than likely put a 1/8 scale RTR out of reach. And a lot of times 1/8 "RTR" doesn't mean everything is included...namely batteries and a decent charger .

Two wheel drive 1/10 scale RTR would be a great place to start looking in terms of budget. You start adding size and extra driveline...the price will keep going up.

Last edited by RustyUs; 07-24-2016 at 05:16 AM.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:37 AM
WH0TH3MAN

Thanks for all of the information thus far.

My budget isn't set in stone so there is some wiggle room (possibly could bump an extra hundred to it, not sure).

A couple more questions:

-what are some reputable dealers? I don't have any hobby shops near me I believe.

-would an electric car be affected by small amounts of water (i.e. Running it through a small puddle or wet grass)?

- (referring to electric cars) is there one brand that has a much bigger variety of parts available for replacement and upgrade than others?
In another hobby of mine (airsoft), one single brand is kind of the standard of what other guns and parts are based off of (Tokyo Marui). So a lot of brands make parts that work as drop ins for that brand. Is there a brand that is in the same realm as that in the RC world?
Old 07-24-2016, 08:21 AM
RustyUs

...-what are some reputable dealers? I don't have any hobby shops near me I believe.

-would an electric car be affected by small amounts of water (i.e. Running it through a small puddle or wet grass)? ...
Probably the top three www shops...Tower Hobbies, Horizon Hobby, and Amain Hobbies. Many of the brands they sell are great. It's the smaller scales that I would shy away from (1/12 and below). Of course this is just my opinion. First place I always look at when normally making a big purchase...Tower Hobbies, as they have coupon codes that a person can use. If I need a parts order without multiples of one item... Omni Models gets my business for my Associated parts needs. (For all you penny pinchers... Omni Models is Tower Hobbies "sister" company that almost always is cheaper than big brother.

It's been awhile since I kept up with the following hobby sites.... post #60

There are many "waterproof" RC out there for your enjoyment.

Last edited by RustyUs; 07-24-2016 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:33 PM
mugeyman

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

hi whoth3man , imo the best and toughest and best for your money 1/8 scale kyosho mp9tki 3 ready set
about 499.99 delivered, great nitro buggy bashing or racing check out all the on line rc dealers , i deal with , nitro house.com , Amain hobbies, tower hobbies , horizon hobbies ,and ebay most are free shipping
with purchase of 75.00 or more . good luck with your choice ok mugey
Old 07-24-2016, 06:22 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you can do $400 then here is what I would recommend:
Team associated SC10 RS (rs=brushless version) Truck runs $280 on tower hobbies after coupon
2s 5000mah lipo battery...many choices ranging from $35-$60. Just make sure it has the same style plug as the truck.
Thunder AC6 lipo charger. Goes by a few different names/brands but is a very capable all-around charger for $50

Ive owned a couple SC10rs models. They are very tough trucks, they handle well and are plenty quick. On a 2s lipo they do around 35mph and accelerate fast. A 5000mah lipo will get you 20-30 minutes of runtime depending on terrain (grass for instance drains battery faster) It is a 2wd short course truck, and basically all trucks of this style work well on most terrain types. Tall grass is really the only place they struggle. Pavement, loose or packed dirt, sand if its not too deep and short grass are all good with a short course truck.
I bought a new SC10rs...drove it around 20 times before the rear tires were bald (stock rear tires are a softer, stickier compound for better traction) but that equates to 10 hours of runtime. After 30 uses I replaced a spur gear. I used it for racing and bashing. That is extremely little repairs given the runtime on it. Any RC will break parts and some parts just wear out over time, but the SC10rs out of all the RCs ive owned seemed to take the most abuse with the least amount of breakage.

I recommend buying from towerhobbies.com. Fast shipping, great price, warranty ect. Ive purchased many times and always been happy.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:07 PM
WH0TH3MAN

I've been doing a little research and just want to talk with you guys about it a bit, since you guys would know a lot more than me about this stuff
So what I've seen a lot of people recommend is the traxxus rustler. Correct me if I'm wrong but there is a 2wd, brushed model that goes for around $200. It's a 1/10 model which is what many of you said would be a good place to start. Traxxus seems to have a lot of parts I could do upgrades with as well, which is something I would like to do once I see what I like. Having the rtr truck under my budget allows me to personalize its abilities more easily as time goes on.
What do you guys thinks? Good way to go or should keep looking around?
Old 07-24-2016, 07:16 PM
WH0TH3MAN

http://www.horizonhobby.com/rustler-...-p-tra370541t3 This one
Old 07-24-2016, 09:04 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

traxxas is to the RC world like peanut butter and jelly...never the best but always good and easy to get.

I would recommend the traxxas slash over the rustler as I prefer the looks and it handles a bit better. It is a few more $ though.
The slash, rustler, bandit and stampede all share many parts. So it is easy to get spare parts and there are lots of upgrades (especially by RPM)

Over the rustler or slash, id still recommend the SC10. The brushed version is $200...tack on the cost of a battery and charger but it is a tougher and better handling truck than the traxxas options.

But you will rarely run into someone who has owned a traxxas bandit, stampede, rustler or slash who didn't like them. They are reasonably tough, decent priced, lots of aftermarket parts available ect.
My first rc was a traxxas nitro...the second third and fourth were a rustler, stampede (both brushed) and then a rustler VXL (brushless) If you can swing the extra $, get a VXL model. Around $100 more but the brushless is worth it. A bit faster out of the box than a brushed version (especially acceleration) and if you buy a 11.1v lipo down the road you get a serious speed boost (50mph with stock gearing, and with larger pinion gear get 60+) and even out of the box you get wheelies like crazy.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:28 AM
RustyUs

Well I see something has caught your eye. That's a really good price. I think you're on the right track. I'm a little biased, it would be a RC10T4.2 running at my place , but nothing wrong with Traxxas (and has waterproof electronics for "splashes" ). For me, I love the way stadium trucks handle. Hands down my favorite 2wd platform to drive. One thing needed for most stadium trucks to be as durable as they can be...a front bumper (T-Bone Racing ). They will save a lot of your front end mishaps...big and small.

Originally Posted by nitrosportsandrunner
...Over the rustler or slash, id still recommend the SC10. The brushed version is $200...tack on the cost of a battery and charger but it is a tougher and better handling truck than the traxxas options...
Short course trucks are generally tough with their extra big bumpers, and body. I can't say I've ever had a Slash, but yeah, the SC10 is one tough big body rollin' truck. Lots of upgrade-able parts for when one is ready.

Last edited by RustyUs; 07-25-2016 at 11:42 AM. Reason: added link
Old 07-25-2016, 05:50 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, forget electric or nitro. Go 1/5 scale gas powered. Get an MCD or HPI Baja. I'm a moderator here, feel free to send me a message if you have any issues.