Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

rc club at my school

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 08:45 AM
applesider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rc club at my school

Hi I am trying to get kids at my school into the RC hobby but my problem is that i only have one RC and no money to put in this club. How do I get RC's for these teens to learn and get addicted to the hobby? Do I have to get sponsors or setup a go fund me or what do I have to do?
Old 08-05-2016, 01:52 PM
The Saylors

a go fund me or a kickstarter could work but sponsers could help as well. Liability is gunna likely be your biggest issue since parents love to sue schools whenever their poor babies get boo boo's. I would get backing from the school before you make any moves.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:06 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

A RC club at school...that would be so awesome! If you were in my school district I'd donate one of my RCs to you on the assumption I'd get it back at the end of the year. Then again I'd probably get back only a pile of ...meh. Anyway, a RC club would have to be safer than a ski club, 'cause I've fallen many-o-times, almost breaking my legs. I can't remember signing any type of waivers back then.

applesider, are you a teacher? I don't know how the club would be ran/run (sorry, I'm bad at grammer). The one problem I see, when parts break, who is gonna pay for new parts? I know that's "down the road", and your main goal at the moment is getting your hands on some RCs. Online hobby shop/local hobby shop dealer getting a dozen hobby grade RCs to the club at cost, even below cost, would be great.

As far as reaching outside the fundraising ideas, I got nothing. Maybe start emailing some hobby shops/distributors with your school RC club pitch.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:38 PM
applesider

No I'm not a teacher I am a student and I want to start my own hobby shop but first, I want other kids to experience the hobby and get addicted like I did. I made a go fund me account to donate to
www.gofundme.com/2tw7avng
Old 08-05-2016, 06:41 PM
applesider

I have teachers backing me up but some parents don't like drones that is one of my problems.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:56 AM
The Saylors

Ya drone stigma is gunna be a hurtle nowadays. I always laugh at that argument, ya, a drone wouldn't feel good, but catching a foot ball in your eye is plenty dangerous too. Every decade has its scapegoat i suppose. The world is dangerous people, live with it.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:34 PM
applesider

but that doesn't help that much can someone please have any more advice?
Old 09-16-2016, 06:50 AM
applesider

Exclamation Started the club how to i yeach them?

Ok so now I have started the club nd I need to know what to train these kids (some of them never seen a hobby RC car before) on and is there training books out there or do I have to tell them from my experience or what please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2016, 09:55 AM
DriveForFun

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I'm new here, but how about starting off with a total rebuild on one of the kits you have available, or if funds allow, a brand new kit build? Maybe get in some driving in day one to wet the appetite, then say "OK now we need to rebuild this"

edit: perhaps during rebuild, assign sections of car for each member to research and upgrade or sure up. Drivetrain guy maybe gets the correct pinion for desired power down, Body guy handles making the body look good, etc.....just throwing out some ideas here, i'm sure you can find plenty to do. Great idea by the way, and good luck!

Last edited by DriveForFun; 09-19-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:54 PM
applesider

Originally Posted by DriveForFun
Hi, I'm new here, but how about starting off with a total rebuild on one of the kits you have available, or if funds allow, a brand new kit build? Maybe get in some driving in day one to wet the appetite, then say "OK now we need to rebuild this"

edit: perhaps during the rebuild, assign sections of the car for each member to research and upgrade or sure up. Drivetrain guy maybe gets the correct pinion for desired power down, Body guy handles making the body look good, etc.....just throwing out some ideas here, I'm sure you can find plenty to do. Great idea by the way, and good luck!
I like your idea but these kids have no clue about anything so I have to teach them all about the electronics and lipo safety and all of that fun stuff first. =)
Old 09-27-2016, 04:33 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd think having kids build tamiya kits is the best option. Make them put the RC together, learn the basics of electronics and radios and then they get to run them at the end.
If these kids have never run hobby-grade RC's, then a basic brushed tamiya on a nimh battery will be plenty fast. No need to go lipo.
Plus, tamiya kits have really detailed build instructions.
I would try having 2 kids work together on one kit.
With really detailed build instructions, there will still be a fair amount of instruction from you needed. I would think you would have to break things down...try to accomplish certain parts in each class (example, axle one day, front/rear suspension another day ect) A period or 2 would be needed to explain the basics of speed controls, radio & receiver, how to setup steering servo and such.
The tricky part would be keeping each team at the same point of completion. Breaking down the build into manageable parts...some teams will build faster than others.
I too would love to teach such a class. My wife is a teacher and I myself have thought about how I would go about forming such a club.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:48 PM
applesider

Originally Posted by nitrosportsandrunner
I'd think to have kids build Tamiya kits is the best option. Make them put the RC together, learn the basics of electronics and radios and then they get to run them at the end.
If these kids have never run hobby-grade RC's, then a basic brushed Tamiya on a NiMH battery will be plenty fast. No need to go lipo.
Plus, Tamiya kits have really detailed build instructions.
I would try having 2 kids work together on one kit.
With really detailed build instructions, there will still be a fair amount of instruction from you needed. I would think you would have to break things down...try to accomplish certain parts in each class (example, axle one day, front/rear suspension another day etc) A period or 2 would be needed to explain the basics of speed controls, radio & receiver, how to setup steering servo and such.
The tricky part would be keeping each team at the same point of completion. Breaking down the build into manageable parts...some teams will build faster than others.
I too would love to teach such a class. My wife is a teacher and I myself have thought about how I would go about forming such a club.
ok thanks for the tip i will concider your advice
Old 10-01-2016, 02:32 PM
applesider

Ok, so I have a new problem. I have the club started and the kids Joined but we have no money to start making or buying Rc's to teach them on.
I made a go fund me for people to donate money to bu I need help making ideas to make money to get the cars and to make the track, So please help me, peoples!https://www.gofundme.com/2tw7avngand do you think that I could get the attention of a company?
Old 10-09-2016, 06:09 PM
aknitroguy
My Feedback: (82)

Maybe you and your club members could do a fundraiser in the school, sell popcorn or candy something to that effect. The problem with the gofund me thing is that few people (outside the school) are going to be interested in it, as there is no return on their investment. Another idea is a club membership fee. I am a club member and have to pay annual fees for it. Maybe settle on one or two different Tamiya kits and offer a kit A membership or kit B membership. The fee should cover the cost of the kit. Also when they are done you can all have spec races due to having the same kits. If you have a number nailed down for the membership which includes the kit, the kid's folks would be more likely to buy into it. Then have your fundraiser to get the numerous accessories.
With this in mind you have funded yourselves without asking for hand outs from outside interests. Best of luck with your club! post pictures of progress.
Jay
Old 10-10-2016, 12:48 PM
applesider

Originally Posted by aknitroguy
Maybe you and your club members could do a fundraiser in the school, sell popcorn or candy something to that effect. The problem with the gofund me thing is that few people (outside the school) are going to be interested in it, as there is no return on their investment. Another idea is a club membership fee. I am a club member and have to pay annual fees for it. Maybe settle on one or two different Tamiya kits and offer a kit A membership or kit B membership. The fee should cover the cost of the kit. Also when they are done you can all have spec races due to having the same kits. If you have a number nailed down for the membership which includes the kit, the kid's folks would be more likely to buy into it. Then have your fundraiser to get the numerous accessories.
With this in mind you have funded yourselves without asking for hand outs from outside interests. Best of luck with your club! post pictures of progress.
Jay

one thing is that due to obama we cannot sell food at school with ought getting in trouble.

seccond thing is i like where you are going and i will try to post pictures but i still have to weight to see if i can keep the club if i cet a regular of 6 or more people and not just random people i find in the hall