Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Removing rust from a car

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 05:18 AM
neilly98

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Removing rust from a car

Hi all,
I got my nitro car out earlier this week after over a year sat in the garage doing nothing, only to find that it is pretty badly rusted on the inside and the wheels and starter cord are jammed up from it. I was going to take it apart and soak everything in white vinegar to remove the rust, but some screws are so rusted I can't even get them to budge. Does anyone know if there's any sort of rust remover that can be painted or sprayed on and does its work while the car is still in one piece?
Thanks
Old 08-15-2016, 05:46 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Evaporust works well, but the parts need to soak for it to work. Screws usually survive the treatment, but you will be replacing a lot of bearings, possibly including the one-way clutch bearing in the starter, and possibly other stuff. I would remove the engine from the car and evaluate it separately from the rest of the car.

Get a cheap spray bottle and put some Evaporust in it and spray liberally to the affected areas. Keep it wet until you obtain the results you want. Then rinse with water and blow off with compressed air. Any steel parts not coated with oil will rust in a very short time, so anything you want to be saved, coat with some light oil after parts are dry.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:20 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

PB blast
Might try soaking the recoil in nitro fuel. I had bought a used nitro rustler that had a fully locked up motor...couldn't budge a tiny bit. Took it off the truck, removed the head and let it sit in nitro fuel. Next day had it reassembled and running.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:43 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Locked up engines can be freed up in minutes with fuel, or Acetone works heaps faster. Heat helps a bunch too..