Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Returning to the Hobby

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 10:36 AM
kwf05001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Returning to the Hobby

I'm returning to the hobby as an adult because of my kids.
I've been bitten buy the bug to buy a new vehicle and am looking for guidance.

My history of cars/trucks:
1. traxxas rustler from the late '90s (sold to buy Emaxx)
2. associated B3
3. Emaxx (1st gen with 2nd gen esc)
4. HPI Super Nitro Rally (engine is currently siezed and body is trashed...)

I'm looking for something different and will only be running for fun
I've looked at considered:
e-revo brushless, summit, slash 4x4 vxl, and rally vxl from traxxas
the apparently brand new losi baja rey
associated b44.3

I'm definitely looking to get the new tech (brushless, lipo, and "stability management")

Thanks everyone.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:07 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Welcome back to the hobby.

Looking at your list, the B44.3 would probably be at the bottom of list with the Rally. That's because of suspension travel and ground clearance issues compared to others on your list. I don't know what kind of terrain you got to run on or where you plan to do your RCing. For me, the choice is simple...1/8 scale buggy or truggy. Maybe something like the Arrma Kraton. It's got a little bit of everything. If I had to stick with the 1/10 scale list...short course or trophy truck. Slash, Baja Rey, Senton...lots of great choices.

Ultimately, you have to figure out what platform grabs your attention. Do you go big for the monster truck, or dial it down a bit and let 'er fly with less ground clearance.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:08 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

short course truck...combines decent ground clearance, decent handling, good durability all in one.
My fav is the team associated SC10rs. It is very tough, very well put together. The brushless system it comes with isn't the fastest thing out there, but will smoke anything you have owned in the past (especially with a 2s lipo)
These trucks are very tough, handle very well out of the box and take a lot of abuse. Ive owned 2 that I bought new...both wore out the tires before anything on the truck broke (that's about 5-7 hours of runtime!)

If you prefer traxxas, nothing wrong with a slash 2wd. A 4wd slash does have better traction, but I didn't like how it handled as much and the 4wd is more prone to wear/breaking. And since it is harder on the motor, it is geared a bit lower so it is not as fast as the 2wd (they use the same motor/esc)

Also, a SC10rs has a radio with throttle end points. This means you can have a 2s lipo in it and be doing 35mph...then just turn down 1 knob and limit the speed to around 12mph when you want to hand the remote to your kid. My son at 5yo learned to drive on my sc10. As he got better, I could gradually turn up the top speed. Now I let him drive it at about 75%. By next summer it may be safe to let him drive it at 100%.
Traxxas ESC's have a "training" mode...but that either gives you 50% or 100% throttle choices. With the throttle end point on the sc10's radio, you can go anywhere between 30% to 100%.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:18 AM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by nitrosportsandrunner
short course truck...combines decent ground clearance, decent handling, good durability all in one.
My fav is the team associated SC10rs. It is very tough, very well put together. The brushless system it comes with isn't the fastest thing out there, but will smoke anything you have owned in the past (especially with a 2s lipo)
These trucks are very tough, handle very well out of the box and take a lot of abuse. Ive owned 2 that I bought new...both wore out the tires before anything on the truck broke (that's about 5-7 hours of runtime!)

If you prefer traxxas, nothing wrong with a slash 2wd. A 4wd slash does have better traction, but I didn't like how it handled as much and the 4wd is more prone to wear/breaking. And since it is harder on the motor, it is geared a bit lower so it is not as fast as the 2wd (they use the same motor/esc)

Also, a SC10rs has a radio with throttle end points. This means you can have a 2s lipo in it and be doing 35mph...then just turn down 1 knob and limit the speed to around 12mph when you want to hand the remote to your kid. My son at 5yo learned to drive on my sc10. As he got better, I could gradually turn up the top speed. Now I let him drive it at about 75%. By next summer it may be safe to let him drive it at 100%.
Traxxas ESC's have a "training" mode...but that either gives you 50% or 100% throttle choices. With the throttle end point on the sc10's radio, you can go anywhere between 30% to 100%.
@ kwf: Going the 2wd route? I can agree with above post with nitrosportsandrunner. The SC10 is my daily basher/track runner. A great balance of durability and track worthy performance. Throw some Pro-Line Badland Tires on there...go throw some dirt!
Old 10-06-2016, 07:52 AM
kwf05001

Thanks for the help so far.
I do seem to keep circling back to a short course truck. They weren't popular before, so it fits the bill for "something different"-- they look cool, off-road well-enough, and with lipo, are plenty fast.

Probably the one thing I know for sure is I want 4wd. It seems best suited to my terrain and driving style. Would you recommend the prosc 4x4, slash, or something else?

I really like the rear suspension on the baja rey and would probably go for one, but it seems that its like a toy in that you are stuck with the factory set-up and parts and the non-traditional body attachment and goofy figures in the cab.

I initially liked the e-revo brushless for insane speed while still very off-road capable, but decided I didn't really like the look. The Arrma Kraton falls in this category too.

But looking at arrma, I discovered the Nero. looks more like a maxx, is brushless, and offers the locking diffs that I like the summit for, but is at the absolute top of my price limit. I had never heard of arrma before this week. Aparently, my local shops do carry them. I hadn't noticed. I'll have to check it out. How are the quality, aftermarket parts, and support?

Thanks for reading my ramblings.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:41 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Welcome back. ARRMA has decent quality and support; nothing great, but its good for a yard basher. For you, I'd suggest a Traxxas Slash 4x4.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:35 PM
kwf05001

I managed to check out a few local shops this weekend. Found a Baja Rey, Various slash configurations, and fell in love with a axial scx10 jeep cherokee! I'm more confused then before. I understand that the axial is a crawler and is the polar opposite of the fast car I told you I was looking for, but it looks so awesome and I could definitely see myself having fun with it. I was also quite impressed with the baja rey, but I'm still turned off by the lack of aftermarket... I'd really like to see a summit in person still.

I'm considering a lot of options and trying to figure out what I actually want.
I have a Futaba 3ch FM tx/rx that was pretty high end 14years ago. Would it be a mistake / could I use this with a slash platinum or SCX10 kit?
Old 10-11-2016, 07:01 PM
mrbuggy1987

welcome back to the hobby! What is your budget? And as far as the the fm radio is concerned, I wouldnt say it would be a mistake to use it, if you like it, but every rc your buy now days comes with a 2.4ghz radio. So you would have to swap out the receivers. But i'd like to throw in their that the tech is so common place now days that you can get a very adjustable system for less than 50 or 60 bucks if that factory system isnt to your liking. if you've been outta the hobby for that long you might wanna do a bit of researching on brushless systems, lipos, and the stability systems you talked about wanting which as far as I know there are just two major players, traxxas and spektrum. Radiolink makes one but Ive heard there not really reliable.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:54 AM
kwf05001

My point was if I got a SCX10 Kit, could I save the money on a radio for now?
I think I got my answer: yes, but a 2.4ghz radio can be had very affordably.
I've narrowed in on the SCX10 RTR or Kit or a Traxxas Summit (love the LT mod!)
I know this is completely different from what I thought I wanted, but that is, after all, what I was trying to figure out...
I'm concerned I'd get bored with the low speed of the SCX10, but maybe I'll get a slash vxl later...
Or could I get a summit and do the LT mod and go brushless and satisfy both desires?
I can't find a summit in any local shops, which is making my decision much more difficult.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:26 PM
mrbuggy1987

Im telling you know, the summit is the better choice, cuz itll do 30 mph with 2 2s lipos,you can lock and unlock the diffs and it has a high and low range or you can install a twin kershaw 700 ho kit, or a single 18v dewalt. its expensive, but it is a freaking torque monster.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:27 PM
mrbuggy1987

just look on ebay for a good used one, or just buy one straight up on ebay, thats your best bet. dont ever buy a new car at an lhs as your gonna pay at least 100 bucks more than you would on the internet.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:21 PM
kwf05001

Several LHS around here will match internet prices, but not eBay...
I'm not against buying on the internet (I often do, but when the cost difference is minimal, I like to support local businesses)
I'm really torn. I hear what your saying about the summit being more capable, but I love the scale details. I also used to have a lifted Jeep YJ...
I thought maybe the summit could be a jack of all trades, but then I questioned if for the price, I could have a scx10 and a slash...hmmmm...
Old 10-14-2016, 01:25 PM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by kwf05001
...I thought maybe the summit could be a jack of all trades, but then I questioned if for the price, I could have a scx10 and a slash...hmmmm...
If you can swing the price tag for two seperate RCs (SCX10 & Slash)...that's the best idea yet!

Last edited by RustyUs; 10-14-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:54 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by mrbuggy1987
just look on ebay for a good used one, or just buy one straight up on ebay, thats your best bet. dont ever buy a new car at an lhs as your gonna pay at least 100 bucks more than you would on the internet.
Heavily disagree. Used RCs are very very sketchy and a good surface cleaning is all it needs to look good when it might have many problems. You can't inspect or drive it and its basically buying blind. I've been screwed over many times by used RC cars that "looked good" which turned out to be junk. My advice if you have to buy used, buy it from someone you know or at least someone local so you can test drive it.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:15 AM
mrbuggy1987

well, I strongly disagree with you.If you do extensive research, ask question, multiple pics and se what kinda feedback the buyer has. I have bought14 used cars off ebay (all electric) and never had a problem.just dont buy used parts. but if he dosnt wanna take that route, you can still buy new off ebay for cheaper than hobby sites. Its new whether it comes from ebay or a site like tower. just my opinion.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:12 AM
RustyUs

I only buy/bid on used gear if seller seems to have a well thought out description and clean/clear pictures are given. Blurry pictures is a turn off for me unless great price (bid) is reached, and I'm willing to take on a crap-shoot. Asking questions about specific part(s) of the RC/item is strongly encouraged.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:14 AM
mrbuggy1987

once again rusty I agree with ya 100 percent. Some times I wished we could meet up and have a day running all our cars, cuz your bout one of the coolest dudes one here, lol.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:22 AM
RustyUs

@ mrbuggy: Thanks Dude. Haha. "Dude" used to be a term I used a lot, and sort of my nickname for my stint in the great USAF.

I wish I had this www thing (internet) back when I was a kid. All I had was RCM magazine (90% airplane stuff), Tower Hobbies, and department store to help make my decisions on RC gear/stuff.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:05 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In terms of offroad performance and durability the ARRMA Kraton is going to make those Slashes look like toys... The kraton is a heavy duty 1/8 basher based closely off the Durango DNX408T racing truggy.... It has great balance , handling and durability, far beyond anything Traxxas has ever built...

if your after how it looks then buy yourself a plastic model that sits n ths shelf, but if your after driving performance then the kraton is impossible to beat, it handles crazy good, jumps super good and is tough as nails..Also the kraton is super easy to work on, quick change diffs allow you to remove the diffs in less then 1 minute...

As I say this is a real deal 1/8 machine, heavy duty steel shafts, heavy duty diffs, etc etc... by fart the best value in RC

The Nero is neat but mostly gimmick, side by side the kraton blows its doors off in terms of offroad performance, handling and durability....Monster trucks do not function offroad overly well compared to a flat pan like a Kraton...The Nero is better then a Revo though, so if its between those two its a no brainer for the Nero..

In the end if your after driving experience and capability the Kraton is the best on the market right now, traxxas has nothin that can come close to doing what the kraton can do !