Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Hello!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 05:45 AM
Henry_b

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello!!

Hello all, I'm Henry a 16yr old rc beginner.

I've just got a few questions..

My rc truggy a maverick XT EVO has a 13turn 540 motor what does that mean!?

And is my rc any good I've had her 4 yrs and have only driven her a handful of times, have any of you extremely knowledgable rc peeps heard of MAVERICK!!!

Thanks all..

Sorry about the way I have written this thread I'm a forum newbie!
Old 11-11-2016, 10:01 AM
jetmech05

You're in the airplane forum good luck
Old 11-11-2016, 10:58 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I was going to say the same thing, you need to be in the car forum or, more specifically,
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-e...gies-more-147/

Now that that's been cleared up, it's time to look at your motor questions. I'll try to keep it as simple as possible based on what I remember.
As far as the numbers go this is what they mean:
1) 540 This is a physical size designation. The higher the number, the bigger the physical size. This means, for the most part, that if you want to upgrade to get more speed, you need to verify the motor chosen is in the 540 size class.
2) 13 Turn This one is a little more complicated. The number of turns is what controls your motor speed and torque, along with the applied voltage. How this works is harder to explain since there are variables that I don't want to get into so, here goes nothing:
A) The number indicates how many times a wire was wrapped around the arms of the armature, the part inside the motor that actually spins, in most motors anyway.
B) The power of the motor is controlled by a magnetic field, generated by electricity flowing through the coils. This means that more electricity or more coils will produce a more powerful magnetic field.
C) The larger the magnetic field, the more powerful the motor will be since the magnetic fields created by the coils push against other magnetic fields produced by actual magnets. A 9 turn motor, for example, will normally have considerably less power than a 21 turn motor.
D) Now comes the fun one that can really screw you up. The magnetic fields created by the coils is not continuous. Electricity is supplied to the coils in short bursts, through contacts in the case and armature. The magnetic field actually grows starting when power is applied. When the armature spins past the contact point, the electricity stops and the field collapses, allowing the coil to pass the next magnet before the field reforms at the next set of contacts.

I hope that helps. Electrical theory is something that most people never grasp. If the concepts I've talked about help you, great. I've avoided talking about timing and many other things because they are not relevant to the question and would just overload you with information that is better learned first hand from someone that really knows the ins and outs of electric motors. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your truggy
Old 11-11-2016, 03:14 PM
Henry_b

Thanks for explaining that! Kind of hung me up now I understand, thanks
Old 11-11-2016, 08:22 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The simple explanation on turns for those who don't want to get into the electrical theory goes like this: More turns equals more torque and less speed. Fewer turns is the opposite. Which one is best depends on a lot of factors including the gearing you plan to use, the battery voltage, and the overall characteristics of your vehicle.

On a related note, welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of helpful people here. But if you are into cars and trucks, you should ask your questions in the car and truck forums here on RCU. I've moved this to the appropriate forum where I think you'll find a lot more useful information.

Last edited by jester_s1; 11-11-2016 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 03:46 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The Strada, being a 1/10 4wd stadium truck (truggy), is one platform that I think is taken from another re-branded re-brand maybe . It (the chassis) looks so familiar. I love the idea of 1/10 truggies. I don't have one personally, but I like 4wd stadium truck looks in general. The HPI/Maverick Strada looks like a Thunder Tiger/Associated short course platform that I have eyeballing for quite some time.

I'm sure you'll have a blast with your new RC.

Get out there and throw some dirt!
Old 11-12-2016, 04:31 PM
Henry_b

Cheers all for your responses

She is a 4x4 truggy