Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What to do with this 1/6 scale?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 11:27 AM
blown240

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do with this 1/6 scale?

I bought this car for $100 from my boss about a year ago. Its a Redcat Racing Shredder XB, and it came with a Vemon LiPo charger. It pretty fun, and fast when its not broken.

And thats the problem, its ALWAYS broken. The front end breaks off with the slightest crash. and its almost always the front diff housing that breaks, which means a big repair. Its so bad, that I have only gotten thru a full battery charge without breaking it once. And I'm not a rookie driver, I've had RC cars on and off for literally 30 years.

So that leads me to my question. Do I fix it and try to sell it, or do I pull whatever parts I can use on my other cars, and trash it?

It has a pair of 5000mah 2s Lipos, I could get traxxas plugs put on them and use them in my Slash. Also, the steering servo is probably decent, and the electronics are a 4s setup, even though the motor won't be good for much.

Worst case, I got a changer and a couple LiPos for $100.
What do you guys think I should do with this car?

Here are pics from the last crash:

Here are some other pics for reference on what parts may be worth pulling and keeping around...

Old 11-18-2016, 02:34 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Hoohoo man, that looked bad! If I were you though, I'd keep all the electronics (motor, ESC, radio, batteries, steering servo, charger, etc, etc.), but I am slightly interested in it. Been always wanting to dabble in 1/5 and 1/6 scale.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:04 PM
Mechanicaloverlord

The Shredder is basically a 1/8 truggy with a longer chassis making it 1/6 scale. That's why it gets away with a 4s 1/8 brushless system.

My only question is have you given it a fair shake with new parts? I see evidence of trying to glue it back together in the pics and the chances of that type of repair holding up are slim to none. I'm not familiar with the platform but maybe it can be reinforced. Home Depot sells sheets of 1/8 Lexan for under $20 and the stuff is basically indestructible. Replace the broken parts with new. Use the new steering top plate as a template to make a new piece out of the Lexan. Use some longer screws to secure it over the top of the stock one. Then make a skid plate that goes from the front bumper under the chassis. If you heat the Lexan it will bend, just hold it where you want until it cools and it'll maintain that shape without weakening it. Use longer screws to secure it to the bottom of the chassis.

Tbis assumes you think you like the platform at all. If not, then don't bother. Strip the electronics and maybe the wheels, I wouldn't bother keeping the shocks. Then disassemble the whole thing, throw out the broken stuff, lay out all the good parts on the table, take some pics and list it as a parts lot on eBay.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:14 PM
blown240

Thanks for the reply. I have thrown a ton of new parts that this car. I actually have most of the parts to fix it now. The glue is from trying to give it a little more bulk the last time I put it back together.

I like the idea of this truck, but I have thrashed so hard on my Slash,and done little damage, that its hard to justify putting more money into this one.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:38 PM
Mechanicaloverlord

Well you never know until you ask and I've seen guys complaining their vehicle breaks too easily both before and after repairing by dumping 2 sticks of hot glue on it. Btw it's very difficult to get any type of adhesive to stick to typical RC plastics making repairs and/or reinforcement nigh impossible.

Like i said, I'm not familiar with the platform and I'm not going to be digging for exploded views and such. Probably won't get too much better visuals without having it in front of me anyways. My Lexan reinforcement suggestion is solid, it's pretty inexpensive and the stuff is super tough. But after reinforcement there may be another point of failure and you'd be better able to determine if there is since it's in front of you.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:21 AM
blown240

Thanks for taking the time to reply! Ive been thinking about it, all the while running my other cars with my son, and your idea of stripping it down and listing the parts as a lot on Ebay is sounding better and better. My budget for RC is pretty small, and I would rather put money into fixing/upgrading the cars that we have the most fun with.

Good to know about the lexan though! Thats a really good idea. Also, good to know about glue not sticking to the plastic very well!

Thanks!