Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

why hex screws?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 03:52 PM
krokodyl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why hex screws?

Everytime I work on my car, I get a bit frustrated with the screws, They are black, hex screws, and strip out very easily. There is a good %40 chance that a screw will strip when I remove it, even if I push down hard and be very careful. If it's threadlocked, it's not coming out witthout a dremel... Now I have maybe 5-6 stripped screws, and when I need to take them out I will have to make cuts in the chassis. So, what I was wondering, is are there any advantages to using hex screws over phips or some other? I mean, to me, a hexagon is way to close to a circle to be any good, even if very hard material is used.

Hubert
Old 12-22-2016, 05:10 PM
Big Alice

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

The trick to using hex screws is to have a real good driver. If you're using the L wrenches that came with a car, you're causing your own grief. For me hex is far superior to philips. Some screws are soft too which doesn't help.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:14 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

What are you using to remove the screws? A good set of hex drivers with hardened precision tips should be used to get a grip on screw.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:23 PM
krokodyl

I'm using a good quality set, with hardened tips, or atleast that's what the box and price told me. It might be the screws, possible they are really soft. Next time I go to the hardware store, I will see if they have any 3mm screws.

Hubert
Old 12-23-2016, 06:47 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Alice
The trick to using hex screws is to have a real good driver. If you're using the L wrenches that came with a car, you're causing your own grief. For me hex is far superior to philips. Some screws are soft too which doesn't help.
+1. Having a good set of hex keys is paramount. If you use Allen keys from a big box store, throw them out and get a good set of hex drivers. They do cost a bit, but are worth the money. The big box store type wrenches are often undersized a little bit which allows the bit to twist slightly and thus deforms the head of the screw. Each time the screw is removed, it gets distorted more and more until the head strips completely. Something else worth noting - the hex drivers with the ball tip tend to muck screw heads up a lot quicker than the hex keys that don't have the ball tip.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:35 AM
krokodyl

Yeah, as I already mentioned I am using a good quality set. I usually use the hex tip, but now started to use the "star tip", as the screws strip less with this one. Of course, I make sure that Im using the correct size.

The only hex screws I have trouble with, are on a redcat, which probably explains the screw quality....On my more expensive airplanes, I never have a problem with them.

Big Alice, why do you find them superior? They sometimes work for me, but on the other hand, hex screws are the only ones that I have problems with.

Hubert
Old 12-23-2016, 07:56 AM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you say "star tip", are you referring to torx? If so, they are definitely superior to hex (all my corally cars are exclusively torx).
Old 12-23-2016, 08:03 AM
krokodyl

Yes, torx is the screwdriver tip that I tend to use, but with hex screws. It still works better, even though the hex scredriver is the perfect size.

Hubert
Old 12-23-2016, 04:09 PM
SlashMaxx4x4

Do yourself a favor and get a set of MIP hex drivers. They are a bit pricey, but you will never strip another screw again.
Old 12-23-2016, 05:31 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by krokodyl
...The only hex screws I have trouble with, are on a redcat, which probably explains the screw quality....On my more expensive airplanes, I never have a problem with them...
I think you may be on to something there krododyl.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:02 PM
Big Alice

I've just always had better luck not stripping hex where philips get worn out and sloppy fitting after being screwed in and out a few times. Torks are better than hex or philips imo.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:35 PM
krokodyl

The worst ones are the tiny ones on the throttle linkage and a few other places. I just got a new throttle linkage today, and 2 of the 4 little screws are already stripped. To me, even making a hex screw of that size is against logic...

I am sure that my redcat has some really bad screws. They have some slop to, so I may be using a driver that is a bit off, but I have ALOT of other cheap ones, and none of them are perfect. Will try some other set soon. I will go to the hardware store and see if they have any 3mm screw (VERY doubtful). Otherwise I will look for some sets online. Will probably need a new chassis too, because there are a bunch of screws that are flush with the chassis that are stripped, so the dremel will unfortunately make cuts not only in the screws.

Hubert
Old 12-23-2016, 07:13 PM
Big Alice

There's a lot of ways to get a stripped screw that's flush out without dremeling. Sometimes you can drill the head off. I've epoxied a cheap L wrench in it and had that work. A square easyout can be shortened till it can be tapped in the hole. There's a lot of ways to try before you dremel up your chassis. That's just a couple. You just have to get creative.

Last edited by Big Alice; 12-24-2016 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:14 AM
Calvinman

check the tip of your hex wrench for wear, I quit often cut a little off the end so I have a nice crisp tip again.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:37 AM
cbaker65

I run across that problem too!
You can also buy you a box kit of stainless steel screws.
Ive been wanting to buy some for my MT!
Old 12-24-2016, 09:31 AM
PaulDeth

I keep an inventory of screws, all hex. At any sign of problems the screw gets replaced. The L-shaped wrenchs are soft and will fail.
Torx are the best, however expensive. For removal of rounded hex screws, invest in a set of small, square ez-outs. The twist type of
ez-out is for larger bolts.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:16 PM
wnewbury

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What's with the phillips screws where the screwdrivers are too pointed and don't fit? Different Japanese pattern that only look like phillips? They sure strip out easily!
Old 12-24-2016, 05:31 PM
Calvinman

I read somewhere that they are called Japan Industry Standard screws and require special screwdrivers.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:23 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have found ball drivers to be the source of many problems related to stripped hex heads. Although they are handy for some applications, the cantact area of the head and the wrench is much smaller than a proper fitting standard wrench.. Avoid ball drivers unless absolutely necessary.

Use only high quality wrenches for everyday use and be prepared to replace the tips or wrenches as they wear out. I much prefer wrenches with replaceable tips.