Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

shimming diffs.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 04:38 PM
krokodyl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shimming diffs.

Hello all, I have a redcat caldera 3.0, and after about 1.5 gallons of fuel one of the spider gears got stripped. So I bought a new set of gears popped it in, 10 tanks later... the same thing happened. Now, over those 10 tanks I was on/off the throttle alot, but still, 10 tanks for all metal gears is not exactly good...

So, I took it out and had a look. I noticed that the drive cups on the diff can be pushed in or out. When bot are pushed in the gears are flush, and the diff works smooth. When both are pulled out, the diff works smoth, but I am assuming that the gears are not flush, possibly not even in contact. So, I could put 2-4 shims under the spider gears, and this would fix that problem. I just want to make sure that this is the correct thig to do.

Thanks, Hubert
Old 12-29-2016, 04:08 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I think you are on the right track. I don't have the platform you are talking about, but a gear diff is a gear diff. Before I start refilling diffs, checking planet/sun gears for wear is done. When shimming, I can feel if I've gone too far by turning the diff in my fingers. A "notchy" feeling...too tight.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:44 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I don't have that platform either, but I have shimmed some gear diffs in my Losi MTs. The link below is about LST diffs, but the shimming part should be general to most gear diffs. The main difference will be the shim sizes. You should use shims the same size as the OD of the bearing. At the end of it, you want a slight notchy feeling. Too tight is too tight, but a slight notchy feeling is about right. As with anything, the diff parts will break-in and seat together with some runtime.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-...pic-heavy.html