Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Jato 3.3

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 07:03 AM
Hroese13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jato 3.3

I have a problem with my jato 3.3. When I try to start it with ez start the ez start turns just a little bit and then stops and will not continue turning. I think my glow plug is bad too but that shouldn't stop it from turning over right? Dies anybody know what could be wrong with the ez start?
Old 12-31-2016, 08:21 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The batteries need to be charged, engine is hydro locked, one way clutch locked up? Pull the glow plug out. Does it spin the motor over? If it does let it spin for a bit. See if you get any oil to come out of the engine.

If you look farther down there is a section for cars. Might get a few more responses in the car section.

Buzz.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:25 PM
Hroese13

Originally Posted by blvdbuzzard
The batteries need to be charged, engine is hydro locked, one way clutch locked up? Pull the glow plug out. Does it spin the motor over? If it does let it spin for a bit. See if you get any oil to come out of the engine.

If you look farther down there is a section for cars. Might get a few more responses in the car section.

Buzz.
What batteries need to be charged? The ez start wand? The ez start just spins less than 1/4 rotation and then stops. Could something be stuck in it? I am new to RC universe so I'm not sure how the page works. Where do I go for the car section
Old 01-01-2017, 06:29 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hroese13
What batteries need to be charged? The ez start wand? The ez start just spins less than 1/4 rotation and then stops. Could something be stuck in it? I am new to RC universe so I'm not sure how the page works. Where do I go for the car section
The wand has a 6-cell NiMh battery that needs to be fully charged before attempting to start the vehicle.
Did you charge this battery ?

If it's fully charged then follow Buzz's advice and remove the glow plug ,hold a rag over the top of the engine and try and start it.
If it spins then the engine was flooded and you should see fuel collected on the rag . If so then install the plug and restart the engine but don't prime it for too long or it will flood again.

If the engine won't turn with the plug out then the starter motor could be failing , the clutch or transmission is locked-up. or the engine threw a connecting rod.

Here is the general car forum:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-c...scussions-179/

Here is the Jato manual:
https://traxxas.com/products/models/...-tsm?t=support
Old 01-01-2017, 07:35 AM
Hroese13

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
The wand has a 6-cell NiMh battery that needs to be fully charged before attempting to start the vehicle.
Did you charge this battery ?

If it's fully charged then follow Buzz's advice and remove the glow plug ,hold a rag over the top of the engine and try and start it.
If it spins then the engine was flooded and you should see fuel collected on the rag . If so then install the plug and restart the engine but don't prime it for too long or it will flood again.

If the engine won't turn with the plug out then the starter motor could be failing , the clutch or transmission is locked-up. or the engine threw a connecting rod.

Here is the general car forum:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-c...scussions-179/

Here is the Jato manual:
https://traxxas.com/products/models/...-tsm?t=support

Thank you. I'll try those and let you know.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:24 PM
Hroese13

I tried flipping it and taking the glow plug out. Starter and motor turn very slightly and then get stuck. How can I figure out if it is something different?
Old 01-01-2017, 03:34 PM
flyinwalenda

Leave the glow plug out.
Locate the spur gear on the transmission. It's the large black gear that is turned by the smaller gear on the end of the engine.
Try to turn the gear by hand and see if it will turn around freely.
If so then locate the flywheel on the end of the engine behind the pinion gear and try to turn that counter-clockwise by hand. You can also look down through the plug hole and see the piston moving when rotating the engine.

If the transmission turns but the flywheel only turns a little before stopping then you probably have a blown engine. Time to remove the engine, remove the backplate and see what is broken inside.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:13 PM
Hroese13

Leave the glow plug out.
Locate the spur gear on the transmission. It's the large black gear that is turned by the smaller gear on the end of the engine.
Try to turn the gear by hand and see if it will turn around freely.
If so then locate the flywheel on the end of the engine behind the pinion gear and try to turn that counter-clockwise by hand. You can also look down through the plug hole and see the piston moving when rotating the engine.

If the transmission turns but the flywheel only turns a little before stopping then you probably have a blown engine. Time to remove the engine, remove the backplate and see what is broken inside.
I will try tomorrow. is there still a chance that the ez start is broken?
Old 01-02-2017, 01:16 PM
Hroese13

I will try tomorrow. is there still a chance that the ez start is broken?
I did that. I saw the piston moving. The flywheel keeps moving and doesnt stop. Also the sour gear and pinion gear don't move so I don't think it's a blown engine. Any idea what it is?
Old 01-02-2017, 02:00 PM
flyinwalenda

You never answered my earlier question.

Is the ez start wand battery fully charged?

If so and if the engine is turning freely by rotating the flywheel then the next thing to check is the engines ez start unit.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:03 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts

Moved to RC Cars
Old 01-03-2017, 10:15 AM
Hroese13

You never answered my earlier question.

Is the ez start wand battery fully charged?

If so and if the engine is turning freely by rotating the flywheel then the next thing to check is the engines ez start unit.
Yes the ez start wand battery is fully charged. how can I check the ez start unit?
Old 01-03-2017, 10:18 AM
Hroese13

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Moved to RC Cars
What?
Old 01-03-2017, 11:40 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts

The tread was relocated to the proper forum to get you an answer to your question.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:27 PM
flyinwalenda

Yes the ez start wand battery is fully charged. how can I check the ez start unit?
Remove the engine.
Remove the ex-start unit from the engine.
Hook the two wires back up to the ez-start motor.
Test it with the wand.

https://traxxas.com/explodedviews/Ja...ssion-Assembly
Old 01-03-2017, 07:14 PM
Hroese13

Remove the engine.
Remove the ex-start unit from the engine.
Hook the two wires back up to the ez-start motor.
Test it with the wand.

https://traxxas.com/explodedviews/Ja...ssion-Assembly
Ok. Is there an alternative way to start it without easy start because I've heard there is. Also I'm new to this so how do I get to the RC cars section to see it?
Old 01-03-2017, 07:23 PM
flyinwalenda

Install a $25.00 pull start.

You are in the RC Car discussion forum now,
Old 01-04-2017, 10:03 AM
Hroese13

Thank you. is that cheaper than replacing the ez start?
Old 01-04-2017, 03:26 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Thank you. is that cheaper than replacing the ez start?

Depending on what's wrong with your EZStart system, maybe. I removed the EZ Starters from both of my current Traxxas trucks and put pullstarters on both of them. I find it much less cumbersome to carry a glow driver in my pocket than that bulky Traxxas EZ Wand. I'd convert to pullstart and be done with it. Just remember - the pullstart units aren't designed to have the string pulled completely out repeatedly - do it enough times and the spring inside will break at the spool. You should only need to pull it out 4-5" max if you prime the engine right. When you're really good, you can prime it and have it fire and run on the very first pop past TDC.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:04 AM
Hroese13

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
Depending on what's wrong with your EZStart system, maybe. I removed the EZ Starters from both of my current Traxxas trucks and put pullstarters on both of them. I find it much less cumbersome to carry a glow driver in my pocket than that bulky Traxxas EZ Wand. I'd convert to pullstart and be done with it. Just remember - the pullstart units aren't designed to have the string pulled completely out repeatedly - do it enough times and the spring inside will break at the spool. You should only need to pull it out 4-5" max if you prime the engine right. When you're really good, you can prime it and have it fire and run on the very first pop past TDC.
Ok thank you
Old 01-05-2017, 06:24 PM
Hroese13

I have a crashed jato 3.3 so I took my ez start motor off and decided to look inside at the gears. Found out there are three tiny gears that all spin around one gear in a circle and there was two screws loose that were stopping the gears from spinning so my ex start wasn't turning over. Tightened them.. out it back on and it works!