Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Getting Started

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 08:37 PM
vettenorlando

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting Started

Hey Guys,

My daughter got a 1/16th traxxas for the holidays and I'm trying to decide for myself what to buy. I'm thinking a Slash 4x4 Ultimate with Tqi and TSM but perhaps a 2wd would be ok? I'd like to get into racing, there's two tracks nearby... but frankly I just don't even know where to start. I am going to go to our local hobby store and see what they say. Few questions...
1. Any suggestions on the above?
2. If I buy a package that comes with everything, can I use Lipos with the car even if it comes with a normal battery? it has the vxl-3s Esc in it and from what I am reading it can detect what kind of battery is on it....

What else do I need to consider?
Old 01-05-2017, 09:34 PM
mazpr

Number one, for whatever amount you think you going to spend, multiply it by two, because thats at least what you are going to need.

Racing, and you are asking to buy a Slash Ultimate and if the lipo battery thing...?! |- -| With all respect, learn how to walk before you run.

Traxxas, Team Associated and Losi have nice race pedigree SC trucks. I highly recommend and check your local track and talk one on one with them. You may want to follow what they have, because when parts are scarce and the race is in 30 minutes its possibly a matter of asking a fellow track friend.

This is your first post, 2WD is much more difficult and it will do circle with the wrong driver, tires and track surface.

Good luck
Old 01-06-2017, 05:53 AM
vettenorlando

Hey thanks for the response.... Learning to walk first is exactly why I'm posting. But you didn't really answer my question (trying to understand the batteries etc) and really didn't help define what learning to walk means. Maybe I should clarify what I was planning. My kid only got a 1/16th car, I'm not even sure if they race those. I was looking for something that was more plug and play to just get started. I didn't look at Team Associated or Losi because because I was trying to keep things simple to start with. I'll look at Team Associated or Losi, but frankly too many options at this point might be a hinderance. At the onset, I wasn't planning on being competitive, I just wanted to get into it and see how it is as a hobby for the kid and I.... to see if it is something she would enjoy. We would take it out on practice days and go from there.

I think the 4wd with the tsm makes the most sense if I go with Traxxas to maintain control. Totally open to options.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:24 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I'd check the track's classes that they offer. If just wanting to run on a track and not race, anything goes.

Batteries/ESC...LiPo batteries need to be monitored so the voltage doesn't drop too low. The ESCs that you're looking at offer LVC (Low Voltage Cutoff) so that you may run either NiMh or LiPo.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:02 PM
vettenorlando

Thanks... i'm going to head to the track tomorrow and get more information and see what its all about. I'm looking just to run on the track... not race? Not sure... lol... I'm a bit competitive, I suspect that once i get into it that I might want to race and try and compete....
Old 01-06-2017, 08:17 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

I well agree with Rusty on that. Going to the track and learning from the racers is always the best way to get into the hobby. Most of them are pretty nice and might even be selling stuff at the race that might pique your interest for a race vehicle. Just don't ask about it unless you see it with a "For Sale" sign on the table. Lol
Old 01-07-2017, 08:53 AM
mazpr

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ther-types-too!)

This will help to get your foot on the door.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:09 PM
vettenorlando

Great FAQ thanks!!

I went to the track today and most people suggested the Team Associated Buggy to get started. I was told that the short course stuff is kind of dying out... not sure if that is totally true... but I'll need to decide which way to go.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:53 AM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by vettenorlando
Great FAQ thanks!!

I went to the track today and most people suggested the Team Associated Buggy to get started. I was told that the short course stuff is kind of dying out... not sure if that is totally true... but I'll need to decide which way to go.
I know you said "wanting a package that comes with everything" in first post, but if having any inklings to race, starting off with a updated platform would be my suggestion nowadays...especially if track is high traction clay. Initial costs to get up and running in RC racing can deter some. If track has "run what you brung" novice class...great! Save money in the long run when building a kit from the ground up, rather than replacing RTR components during short term use, and out growing them. An Associated RC10B4.2RS is basically unchanged from 2004 B4 buggy. Nothing wrong with that, I love the platform for my daily track bashing, it's just that the RTR motor will probably classify the buggy for mod class racing. I'm just trying to give a realistic view what could/might happen down the road. Tires will need to be bought to meet track conditions, and servo will also be on replacement list as driving skills improve. And as driving skills improve, a person will soon wish for a better transmitter than what is provided in RTR packages.

All in all, getting a RC; put it on the ground, and go. Have fun.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:49 AM
vettenorlando

I was looking at the Team Associate B6 kit.... that is what the owner of the raceway had suggested for me. I would have to build it myself and then get all the parts... I think eventually I'd want to do a short course truck as well... This track is all in doors and on turf, but I'm going to venture out today to see the dirt track that is not too far from me as well.

So many options... I'm not opposed to building it myself by any means.... Im just trying to come up with a few options.... I dont want too many options lol because then I get confused on where to start. I figure if I build it myself I'll learn more about it too....
Old 01-08-2017, 02:35 PM
vettenorlando

OK so I went out to our local clay track today and talked to some folks. I think in reality I am going to want two cars eventually a buggy and a short course. I'm thinking to get started I want to get a Team Associated SC10 brushless with LiPo.... http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../ascd7046.html

That would just be to get me started. Any opinions? I will also eventually get a Team Associated Buggy... I need to find a charger where I can charge multiple batteries.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:48 PM
RustyUs

SC10 eh? I won't talk you out of it . I'm bit of an Associated fan. I think the SC10 platform still has lots of life left in them at the track. That goes for any of the great 2wd SC trucks out there. Sure the new mid-motor rides may have an advantage on high bite tracks. Get the right tires; practice, and have fun. That's all I can say.

I would have a look at the Hitec X2 AC Plus Dual Input Battery Charger since you linked Tower Hobbies for the SC10. I believe the Hitec would be a great choice when you look at all the Dual port AC/DC chargers at the hundred dollar price point. It's not the most powerful charger out there, but it can hold it's own when charging two 2S LiPo batteries. If wanting more power, gonna have to cough up more $$ and/or invest in separate power supply. Don't forget to use the coupon codes!

Last edited by RustyUs; 01-08-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:56 PM
vettenorlando

Specifically I'm thinking this one which is 4x4 https://www.teamassociated.com/cars_...ProSC_4x4/RTR/

Is there something else you would suggest? I only used the tower hobbies link because that is what came up when i searched for them... if there's a better place to purchase from I'm all ears.

I had been considering a Traxxas Slash, which seems to me is more expensive but I can't understand why... perhaps because its the traxxas name? But after looking at reviews the Team Associated seems to get squirly in the air over a jump and the traxxas slash doesnt... so confusing... lol

Thanks for the link the charger... I'm going to look at that... iI figure 2s Lipos is what I would start with...
Old 01-09-2017, 06:26 AM
RustyUs

There is one standout RTR 4wd SCT...Losi TEN-SCTE. There are other RTR 4wd short course trucks out there that people try putting on the track, but I think Losi would be a "top shelf" choice.

You would more than likely not be thrilled with Associated's offering in their 4wd SC platform . I would be happy with a ProSC only because I have backyard track, and wouldn't mind a less than stellar Associated 4wd platform added to collection. If I were racing for points and wanted to enjoy a 4wd class...the ProSC would not make my list. Sorry Associated, I'll wait patiently for you guys to come out with a new 4wd SC kit that means something...if it ever happens .

I have been waiting months and months for some ProSC rollers to show up on eBay. It's just not happening. I want a new roller from a chop shop, cause I normally have no use for RTR electronics. I like to pick and choose what low budget gear goes in my RCs.

Last edited by RustyUs; 01-09-2017 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:43 AM
vettenorlando

I had eliminated Losi from the options because no one here seems to be running them and I have heard the parts are hard to get here locally. I guess that brings me back to the Slash versus the TAssociated ProSC.... Then for the buggy I can go TA B6... the question is which should I start first with I guess...
Old 01-09-2017, 11:02 AM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by vettenorlando
I had eliminated Losi from the options because no one here seems to be running them and I have heard the parts are hard to get here locally. I guess that brings me back to the Slash versus the TAssociated ProSC.... Then for the buggy I can go TA B6... the question is which should I start first with I guess...
Okay. I have to ask then. What is being ran in the 4wd SC classes in your area? If on-site parts support is top priority when visiting the track, then yes, buy what the hobby shop/track supplies.

It's funny. I used to race a Traxxas TCP buggy. Track side hobby shop...no Traxxas models, or parts to be seen (except for Stampede NIB collecting dust). Now you can't get away from Traxxas parts hanging everywhere .
Old 01-09-2017, 07:54 PM
vettenorlando

So the track that I went to that had a "hobby shop" was mainly Team Associated... but he tried to talk me out of a short course truck... but I think that's probably what I want to buy... I'm thinking back to the slash 4x4 honestly... I dont remember seeing a lot of traxxas stuff, but alot of people had traxxas sc trucks... He said the most popular car there is the team associated buggy b6 that I mentioned above. Thats why I think i'm eventually going to "need" both. The SC Traxxas slash just because I want a good handling truck and then a buggy as well.

Quick question, I noticed that the cars seem to handle differently over the jumps. Some were very squirly (Team Associated), but others were solid and would seemingly go over the jump and the nose of the truck would quick come back down at an angle that seemed nearly perfect for a landing angle.... then others would leave the nose in the air and would hit rear wheels first. Is that something the driver is controlling somehow by going into the jump? Or is it the truck model and how its been setup?
Old 01-10-2017, 06:54 PM
RustyUs

Both. Driver using throttle input and setup. You want to see some weird stuff, Yahoo! guys scrubbing & whipping jumps.

Just a sample:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stFQHfyc1Gs

Last edited by RustyUs; 01-10-2017 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:34 PM
vettenorlando

Originally Posted by RustyUs
Both. Driver using throttle input and setup. You want to see some weird stuff, Yahoo! guys scrubbing & whipping jumps.

Just a sample:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stFQHfyc1Gs
Cool!!! Who knew??? hahaha

So what do you think of my choice of the Slash 4x4 with TSM and TQI? Then I need to do some more research on a buggy but still thinking the TA B6... Going to start with traxxas just to get started... practice a bit a and learn to drive... I hear they are more forgiving and then get into the buggy... seems like at the indoor track there's more buggies racing so I figure both are in the cards...