Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Questions about getting into weekend Racing

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.
View Poll Results: What Brand would you go with for Racing
Associated
0%
TLR
0%
HPI
0%
Mugen
100.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Questions about getting into weekend Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 09:50 PM
2Gamerschillin@youtube

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about getting into weekend Racing

Thanks for stopping. I was wondering what type of budget should one have for weekend racing? Also should I only concentrate on one class or race 2 or 3? I am wanting to get into racing just for some competition i am very competitive and i like to take all my hobbies to the extreme. When i road qauds i raced hair scrambles AMA B class. When I golf i play tournaments. I bass fish so again I fish tournaments.

So anyway Im wanting to buy a buggy or 2 and start racing on the weekends i could care less if i win or lose at this point as long as i am trying. I expect myself to get good enough to win. I am just not sure if i should concentrate on just one class or since i will be traveling for these races enter in 2 or 3 classes.

I was thinking 2wd stock buggy 4wd mod buggy and 1/8 ebuggy or nitro not sure here on which is the better choice. I was also thinking 1500 each for the 2. 1/10 buggy's and 2k for 1/8th.

I dont want to start a **** storm here but what brand would be best to go with Thinking Associated, TLR, HPI, or Mugen,

So please any thoughts or suggestions speak up. Thanks Jeramy

Last edited by 2Gamerschillin@youtube; 01-25-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:15 PM
mugeyman

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

hi jeramy i pm you
Old 01-26-2017, 08:12 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Oohoo! Lets learn to walk before we learn to fly here, yo! Weekend racing does not require thousands of dollars until you get to the high level kind of stuff. For now, a 2WD buggy will be more than sufficient. Those guys out on the track are seriously fast and will trample you if you have little to no experience racing. I suggest buying a buggy with 2WD to start as it makes you learn control so you can control the more powerful and heavy models. Plus they will let you run it in a novice class, if you need to. Like I said, pro classes are full of fast, fast, fast drivers! I don't want you to get discouraged that you don't do well and you leave the hobby. This happens more times than not and I see it a lot, which is why I really try to extend friendship out to the new racers and even RC'ers on this forum. I don't want to see this hobby go the way of the dodos!

I would suggest traveling to the track/hobby shop one day and checking out what the locals run and what brands the hobby shop carry. You can learn a lot more that way then you can me telling you from however many miles I am away from you, because racing everywhere is different. Stadium trucks are massive up north, yet down here in the south we combine our 1-2 stadium trucks with the rest of the buggies. Plus lots of racers would enjoy helping you choose the right chassis, setup, tires, and everything else that makes you fast on the track.

Good luck with your endeavors!
Old 01-27-2017, 04:06 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Your poll "answer" will depend on what class/platform you want to race.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:37 PM
2Gamerschillin@youtube

Originally Posted by RustyUs
Your poll "answer" will depend on what class/platform you want to race.

I am gonna go with 1/8th scale E & Nitro
Old 01-27-2017, 12:56 PM
2Gamerschillin@youtube

Originally Posted by collector1231
Oohoo! Lets learn to walk before we learn to fly here, yo! Weekend racing does not require thousands of dollars until you get to the high level kind of stuff. For now, a 2WD buggy will be more than sufficient. Those guys out on the track are seriously fast and will trample you if you have little to no experience racing. I suggest buying a buggy with 2WD to start as it makes you learn control so you can control the more powerful and heavy models. Plus they will let you run it in a novice class, if you need to. Like I said, pro classes are full of fast, fast, fast drivers! I don't want you to get discouraged that you don't do well and you leave the hobby. This happens more times than not and I see it a lot, which is why I really try to extend friendship out to the new racers and even RC'ers on this forum. I don't want to see this hobby go the way of the dodos!

I would suggest traveling to the track/hobby shop one day and checking out what the locals run and what brands the hobby shop carry. You can learn a lot more that way then you can me telling you from however many miles I am away from you, because racing everywhere is different. Stadium trucks are massive up north, yet down here in the south we combine our 1-2 stadium trucks with the rest of the buggies. Plus lots of racers would enjoy helping you choose the right chassis, setup, tires, and everything else that makes you fast on the track.

Good luck with your endeavors!

Thanks for the advice. I see what your saying about jumping in so fast. I totally agree with you its just the nature of the beast with me. I don't do anything half ass. I truly dont expect to do very good from the start but i will learn. I have been in and out of the hobby for the 20 years or so. I guess you could say i never took it seriously. But for the type of person i am i start with the best and go for it. Just cause i get my arse whipped at some races doesn't mean i am gonna quit. The point of the races win or lose is to keep me interested i guess. I am very competitive and that's what makes things fun for competing.

I am gonna go with 1/8 scale E and Nitro and i am gonna build the best buggy i can. If i dont ever win a race i got a couple bad ass buggy's to play with. I am really leaning toward Mugen MXB7R and the MXB7R eco.

Again Thanks Collector for the advice. Just no that i could never win one race and as long as i have fun trying i am all for it.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:26 PM
Nigelw1978

I'm in the UK, I joined my local club more for the private practice track than anything else, my girlfriend bought me an HPI Bug Crusher pro nitro 1/10 scale running a .18 motor and 4wd.

So far all I keep doing is killing it every time I take it out, but the local guys from the club are way too serious and I felt derided for my novice truck and my inability as a new driver. I am not planing to race and have no real desire, this is just a fun hobby to keep me occupied. I have met one guy who has the same idea as me and just wants to have fun burning a few tanks of gas having a blast, we met up today for a beach run so I could test out the rebuilt rear diff on the back and try out a new second hand buggy I picked up last night.

I hope you have good experience with a new club and that the members are better mannered than the ones I've met here.

Best of luck with your hobby.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:19 PM
2Gamerschillin@youtube

That stinks that the people you met were useless. I have found you will have that any hobby. My dad started me golfing when i was 5 played in school and still play. But i have found when i am at the course by myself and all my tattoos are out full sleeves both arms i run in to people looking at me funny or when i join there group to play with them they under estimate my ability. But when i take the tee box and let one eat for 315 yards they quickly change there tune. Hopefully the guys at your club will warm up to you. If not F*** em. Really the only advice i can give back is dont give up keep trying and you will get it. Enjoy your evening