Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Work stand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 06:14 AM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Work stand?

Looking for a good stable (possibly to swivel) work stand for my kraton. This is my first truck and I am tired of working without one. I don't want to spend a lot of money on one, just need something that's reliable and sturdy.
TAZZZZ
Old 04-07-2017, 09:12 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Duratrax Pit Tech Deluxe Truck Stand http://www.duratrax.com/accessories/pit/dtxc2380.html

Last edited by RustyUs; 04-08-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:02 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Or build your own.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:12 AM
Nigelw1978

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...QvhcIOg&adurl=

Hundreds out there, some are possibly cheaper than a trip to the hardware store for the bits to build your own.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:45 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

What Nigelw1978 said ^^^...
Oh and just be aware of height. A normal car stand will, most likely, not work for bringing truggy tires off your working surface, and thus you will be back to square one.
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2017, 05:27 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by Nigelw1978
https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...QvhcIOg&adurl=

Hundreds out there, some are possibly cheaper than a trip to the hardware store for the bits to build your own.

This is the problem with today's generations. Everyone would rather buy it pre-made by some underpaid workers in China than make it themself and have even a sliver of personal satisfaction. I think there's far more to the hobby than buying something off the shelves at Tower Hobby, Hobby King, or China shipping.com. I'll guarantee you the $25 you spend to do it yourself will carry more value than the $25 you'd spend at hobby king and that's if the hobby king POS doesnt break in the first month you have it.

The true breed of modeler is indeed dying out.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:28 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I've been mechanically inclined nearly all my life. I collect and save things from household projects, stuff from work that would otherwise be waste. You never know when you might be able to use a chunk of white ash hardwood or a piece of plywood. A simple swivel can be made with a simple bolt. Really, even if you didn't have any materials on-hand but the know-how to build it, you could find the materials easily and cheaply enough if you think outside the box.

For the guys that insist on buying something instead of even attempting to build it yourself... I dare anyone to try building first at least.. I see no reason why it would cost more than $10-15 to build something functional.

FWIW - I'm not bashing anyone or their choices. Some of you guys build beautiful RC model cars and trucks.. I just don't understand why so many people would rather buy it and have it shipped to them rather than even attempt to try building something themselves.

Anyway; rant over. Enjoy whatever you do. It's a hobby after all.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 04-09-2017 at 05:51 AM.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:28 PM
Nigelw1978

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
I've been mechanically inclined nearly all my life. I collect and save things from household projects, stuff from work that would otherwise be waste. You never know when you might be able to use a chunk of white ash hardwood or a piece of plywood. A simple swivel can be made with a simple bolt. Really, even if you didn't have any materials on-hand but the know-how to build it, you could find the materials easily and cheaply enough if you think outside the box.

For the guys that insist on buying something instead of even attempting to build it yourself... I dare anyone to try building first at least.. I see no reason why it would cost more than $10-15 to build something functional.

FWIW - I'm not bashing anyone or their choices. Some of you guys build beautiful RC model cars and trucks.. I just don't understand why so many people would rather buy it and have it shipped to them rather than even attempt to try building something themselves.

Anyway; rant over. Enjoy whatever you do. It's a hobby after all.

Please don't misunderstand me, I would also rather, and often do build the stuff I want rather than having it shipped from china, but I am also aware of how much has changed with today's disposable society where everything is readily available and shipped next day by Amazon.

I am currently having to look at the very real possibility of buying a hobby lathe and milling machine as I need to resurrect parts long out of circulation, namely drive shafts for my XTM Monster MT, I am looking at possibilities of manufacturing my own parts from molds of the originals, these are the front and rear upper and lower arms. The joys of owning an obsolete truck and not wanting to let it die completely off!
Old 04-15-2017, 04:54 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Just because there is crap available and easy shippable to your door in a day or two doesn't mean you have to do it that way. If it's your only option, well, you do what you need to do.. BUT those pre-built stands may not work on more than one truck platform. If you put some thought into it, you could make a swiveling stand that will fit multiple truck platforms (if you have more than one scale/style of truck). I hate buying something just to throw it away later when it breaks or stops working.

I will be building a small stand for my trucks also, but I only have 1/8 MT and 1/10 ST. I might get a small 1/16 scale for my son, but not for awhile. I have a bunch of hardwood to use up and a car stand is a great idea to use some up. I think I'll need to look through the garage and see if I have any swivels for the top plate.