Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Need small 4wd RC car for thick grass

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Need small 4wd RC car for thick grass

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 01:50 PM
grassman111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need small 4wd RC car for thick grass

So I'm new to all of this Remote Control anything. I would appreciate any advice that this community could provide for me.

I'm trying to get my small pup some quality exercise, he loves chasing the crappy Walmart model that I'm using indoors. I have developed a disability recently, and I can't run the dog like I used to. I have a large front yard with short/coarse grass, I'm looking for something affordable that he could chase.

The pup is 5 and 1/2 pounds, he's fully grown, and he can run about 20 mph at a full sprint, and he has plenty of stamina. From the research I have done, I think that I need a truck or a buggy, something that is decently raised from the ground. The buggies that I have seen on Youtube seem to be what I'm looking for. I'm wondering if there is a 1/18 or a 1/24 scale car that could be safe enough for him to chase? Is there anything around 3 pounds? I know that I don't need a crawler, no capability for any terrain except for grass and light gravel; I have a pretty flat yard that I'm working with, minimal rolling of the terrain. Perhaps there is something with a cruise control adjustment so that I don't accidentally accelerate and hurt my dog?

Lastly, I've read that some electric models could work in grass for a little while, and then the motors give out after use. I don't think that gasoline powered cars are going to be safe enough. I know that this whole concept isn't too safe, but my dog is pretty fit for his size. He headbutts a soccer ball at full sprint and pushes it around the yard with his skull.

Thank you in advanced for any consideration and replies.

Last edited by grassman111; 04-30-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:59 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Moved to RC car forum
Old 05-05-2017, 05:31 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Oh my. Where to begin. I can only say one thing about 1/24, 1/18, or 1/12 scale RC cars and grass...you'll have a tough time being happy, and your RC will even have a tougher time . Even my 1/8 truggy had a hard time running in/on a normal lawn. Everyone has their own interpretations/thoughts on grass, and what a lawn is actually composed of. All depends on length, and thickness. In general, grass, and RCs don't mix. You'll need lots of power/gearing to overcome the resistance.