Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Is Traxxas best for bashing, not for racing?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Is Traxxas best for bashing, not for racing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 11:29 PM
mushia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Traxxas best for bashing, not for racing?

It is said Traxxas is the best for bashing, not for racing. What's your opinion?
Old 05-11-2017, 02:11 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who says that ?
Old 05-11-2017, 03:03 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Who says that ?
Battery company personnel.

Thanks for posting this thread. Probably get a few responses. Controversy is always good.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:30 AM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by mushia
It is said Traxxas is the best for bashing, not for racing. What's your opinion?
In general terms, that maybe somewhat correct. Get a bunch of bashers together at a local park, playground, quarry, construction site, etc. etc. etc....setup some boundaries/cones/markers, and a race you shall have.

One of the times that I bailed out of racing, was when short course was becoming a huge "hit" at the track. You could pull a Slash off the shelf, and be racing within a very short amount of time. Some places still have a Spec Slash class, and I think that is just great. The Slash is also used for oval racing platform.

The same with racers don't make great bashers. I bash all my racers . It's all in the way you look at it, and how nick picky a person wants to be.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:51 AM
rcmiket

I'm a air guy but work in the LHS with a on road and off road track on premises and I would say Traxxas is #1 among bashers and with entry level racers. Racers ( who stick with racing ) after the entry level normally find their preference ( buggy , truggy or whatever ) and move on the building their own from a kit offered from one of the manufactures recommended by whoever brainwashed them while being exposed to racing. My opinion about this is based on watching this play out over the years.
Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 05-11-2017 at 03:55 AM.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:30 AM
RustyUs

Traxxas, at one time, had kits. That was sooo awesome! They even were raced in stock/modified classes at major events (I know I wasn't the only one who tried it). I probably didn't do as well, because I didn't have Gens ace batteries .
Old 05-11-2017, 03:38 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Imo... Traxxas models are marketed mostly toward beginner/entry level hobbyists. They are best to use as bashers. But not the best to use as bashers if that makes sense. Its been several years since I've owned anything traxxas. And it will be many many more before I ever do again. Maybe they are better now than they were 7-10 years ago?

Also imo... Racers are the best bashers. They are typically higher quality and more durable with stronger electronics. They are designed to handle well and are even more "tunable". When I hear someone talk about a "basher" I think a "cheap hobby grade rc" only because it isn't up to racing standards. Real racers do both racing and bashing very well.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:18 PM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

When it comes to durability, no, Traxxas can't hold a candle to modern race grade quality/durability, however you can spend a small fortune on aluminum/carbon upgrades to make most Traxxas cars comparable in durability, and in the hands of a good driver any Traxxas can be made to be competitive. It was a Slash that won the 2015 ROAR Region 9 district championship for 4WD Mod SC against a field of Tekno and Losi team/pro drivers, here is the drivers setup:

I can't directly link to the Facebook Race Results photo, but it can be seen on this thread here

Click image for larger version

Name:	5338123F-3AD4-40CF-A7A9-BA7AEC4057BB-1034-0000013F45C4E074.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	2214570
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	5338123F-3AD4-40CF-A7A9-BA7AEC4057BB-1034-0000013F45C4E074.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	2214569  

Last edited by bill_delong; 05-11-2017 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:59 PM
mushia

Yeah, but for different function, they will use different outfit, right. Or you mean skill is more impotant than outfit.

Originally Posted by yakfish
Imo... Traxxas models are marketed mostly toward beginner/entry level hobbyists. They are best to use as bashers. But not the best to use as bashers if that makes sense. Its been several years since I've owned anything traxxas. And it will be many many more before I ever do again. Maybe they are better now than they were 7-10 years ago?

Also imo... Racers are the best bashers. They are typically higher quality and more durable with stronger electronics. They are designed to handle well and are even more "tunable". When I hear someone talk about a "basher" I think a "cheap hobby grade rc" only because it isn't up to racing standards. Real racers do both racing and bashing very well.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:39 AM
flyinwalenda

If you are not good at driving you can spend hundreds modifying and setting up a vehicle but a skilled driver can take an average rtr vehicle out of the box , race you ,and they will beat you.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:43 AM
rcmiket

If you are not good at driving you can spend hundreds modifying and setting up a vehicle but a skilled driver can take an average rtr vehicle out of the box , race you ,and they will beat you.
Ain't that the truth we have a kid here with budget equipment who regularly beats the crap out of the so called " sponsored" drivers with their top dollar equipment every race.
You can't buy skill.

Mike
Old 05-19-2017, 01:22 AM
mushia

So Brain Ray,you must be a skilled driver!

Old 05-19-2017, 03:15 AM
flyinwalenda

No, but I possess a very high degree of common sense.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:32 PM
mushia

The common sense you think is that skills are more important than outfits.
No, but I possess a very high degree of common sense.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:12 PM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by RustyUs
Traxxas, at one time, had kits. That was sooo awesome! They even were raced in stock/modified classes at major events (I know I wasn't the only one who tried it). I probably didn't do as well, because I didn't have Gens ace batteries .
Sorry for my Gens ace battery sarcasm mushia . I know how you like them. Back when I attempted to make a Traxxas kit go around the track fast, I don't think Gens ace even existed or made NiCds .
Old 05-22-2017, 01:26 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

What FlyinWalenda said is absolutely true. Up to a point in your driving skill, a stock Slash or something like that will be fine. However, once you hit that point and your car doesn't want to do what you want it to do, you upgrade, typically to an AE or Losi. Traxxas, in the easiest definition is a gateway drug into RC racing. But hey, even I whipped some SC10 butt with my box-stock Slash in the 17.5T stock class!
Old 05-23-2017, 12:34 AM
mushia

I asked this question not meaning to play down Traxxas or anything.

Originally Posted by RustyUs
Sorry for my Gens ace battery sarcasm mushia . I know how you like them. Back when I attempted to make a Traxxas kit go around the track fast, I don't think Gens ace even existed or made NiCds .
Old 05-24-2017, 12:02 AM
mushia

, Traxxas is the gateway for RC racing.

Originally Posted by collector1231
What FlyinWalenda said is absolutely true. Up to a point in your driving skill, a stock Slash or something like that will be fine. However, once you hit that point and your car doesn't want to do what you want it to do, you upgrade, typically to an AE or Losi. Traxxas, in the easiest definition is a gateway drug into RC racing. But hey, even I whipped some SC10 butt with my box-stock Slash in the 17.5T stock class!