RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Engine Trouble

Old 05-18-2017, 11:47 AM
Jonas4sberg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Engine Trouble

A few years ago my dad got me a Volcano S30 (SH .18 Engine) as a present, and I just finished breaking it in when one of the controller arms broke. So it sat inside for a year or so until i picked it up again, and fixed it. The engine was a little tricky to get running, but i can get to run, problem is when I go full throttle. I can roll through the throttle up to about half and then any further and it just kinda cuts and dies. When I hit about 1/8th throttle it gives off a trail of a good trail of smoke so I dont think its too lean. Past 1/2 throttle it jusy kinda gives one last puff of smoke and the engine cuts. I tried tuning it leaner with HSP needle slowly and the problem just slowly gets worse as i lean it, cutting at a lower rpm. And going any richer it just doesnt want to idle properly and will die and then wont start until I lean the HSP needle but to where it was. Any suggestions would be welcomed, thanks! FYI I have new gas and a new glow plug. (Sorry if this the wrong cars subform to post this on, im new on this site.)

Last edited by Jonas4sberg; 05-18-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:23 PM
F4 Phantom blue angles

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Check your plug,It might be the problem.Or,maybe you should find out what kind of fuel it calls for. Such a small engine,you might be running to much oil in your mix,and not enough nitro,or just plain methenol. One last thing,Check the ports where the fuel enters the combustion chamber. I really think you have a problem with your oil mix. I might be wrong,but I thought I would just mention it.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:21 PM
Jonas4sberg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4 Phantom blue angles View Post
Check your plug,It might be the problem.Or,maybe you should find out what kind of fuel it calls for. Such a small engine,you might be running to much oil in your mix,and not enough nitro,or just plain methenol. One last thing,Check the ports where the fuel enters the combustion chamber. I really think you have a problem with your oil mix. I might be wrong,but I thought I would just mention it.
Im using the recommended 20% nitro fuel with 9% oil, and I tried some of my friends 20% nitro and 16% and there was no noticable change. Earlier today I got frustrated and tore the whole car apart and cleaned it spotless and then put it all back together to find it still runs the same afterwards. Also I bought a new plug from redcat this time, ill get it tomorrow and hopefully thats it.

Last edited by Jonas4sberg; 05-18-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:30 AM
F4 Phantom blue angles

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A two stroke is a simple engine,no matter what the size. You need fuel,air,and spark. If not an oil problem,make shure your high speed port is clean. These holes are extremely small. Use a fine peice of wire to clean out. You might have a defective needle valve. It might no be closeing all the way. I would have to have it here to figure it out. Check all your gaskets. Let me know how it goes.

Lucky
Old 05-19-2017, 12:10 PM
F4 Phantom blue angles

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

One more thing I forgot to mention, If this is used on a plane,Maybe your prop is to big,causing your engine to work to hard. Get back to me,I'm curious about this.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:02 PM
Jonas4sberg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4 Phantom blue angles View Post
A two stroke is a simple engine,no matter what the size. You need fuel,air,and spark. If not an oil problem,make shure your high speed port is clean. These holes are extremely small. Use a fine peice of wire to clean out. You might have a defective needle valve. It might no be closeing all the way. I would have to have it here to figure it out. Check all your gaskets. Let me know how it goes.
Lucky
Well like i said above i tore the whole thing apart earlier, even the engine, it was clean as a whistle, wasnt even visible carbon yet. I put on the new glow plug i got and it instantly seemed to idle better, but it seemed to be spitting out a lot less smoke so I began making the HSP needle richer, and the richer i got the more throttle I could guve it until i can now give it full throttle even when its a little cold and ot doesnt even bog down. Guess it wasnt burning all the fuel cuz of the glow plug. Runs perfect now! Thanks yall!
Old 05-20-2017, 11:23 AM
F4 Phantom blue angles

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Your welcome!

Search this Thread