Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Traxxas repairs - no bashing

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 02:46 PM
b86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas repairs - no bashing

Hi everyone. I am new to the rc world, have read a few forums but have a question I couldnt find an answer to. I have had a pretty bad first experience with traxxas. Bought a rustler from the local best buy here in Canada and right out of the box first thing I noticed was the truck pulls to the left when it should be going straight. With the included wall charger, first charge took about an hour(battery was probably half charged when I got it), second charger took about 2 hours. Then the 3rd charge even after 16+ hours wasnt still full(green light didint come on). Still took it out and was very slow, not fun driving it at all. I then purchased a traxxax ez peak charger. Plugged the battery in and started charging, shut off after less then 5 mins. Unplugged everything and started it up again and charged fine(about 45 mins - 1 hour). Took the car out and ran fast. Then tried charging again and did the shutting off after 5 mins thing multiple times untill I exchanged it at best buy just for the new one to do the same. And now I read brushed motors die quickly anyways so am thinking about getting a ruslter vxl but am scared about repairs as I have basically 0 ability to do repairs myself and no hobby shop near me. Now I wont be bashing or jumping or even no grass/dirt and wondering if it will eventually need repairs(assuming I dont crash - there is a wide open parking lot near my house)? Thanks for reading all that lol Hope to hear some opinions
Old 07-16-2017, 02:55 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

did you try to adjust the trims on the controller to center the steering?

As for the chargers that come in the box you will generally get a universal agreement that they suck ass. This is true for all RC's I've seen that come with a charger in the box. They are generally the lowest quality, slowest chargers made included JUST to say you don't need anything else to make it run.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:39 PM
b86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya I've adjusted the steering trim it didnt help much. The stock chargers arent good but even after 16+hours and even 2 ez peaks still no luck. Starting to think its the battery...or mabe I just have reallly bad luck with chargers lol
Old 07-17-2017, 04:39 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Howdy Mr Canadian, welcome. I'm havin' a beer right now, you?
First off, bruddah, I gotta ask: What're ya gettin' into RC for if yer scared of wrenchin'? RC is called a hobby for a reason. Part of the fun is building or maintaining the car. (You go out to yer shed, where you keep yer beer cooler, and work on yer hobby, eh?) Beats playin' golf. Ha!

Bummer about the Rustler. You might have had the slipper clutch mis-adjusted, and on the steering, some monkey might've gotten in there and tweaked the steering linkage somewhere, and/or, the servo-saver could've been loose. In any event, just a minor problem to solve, and, you learn something about your car. That's the way it works. No worries, tho, that's why the boards are here.

Why do you say "you have 0 ability"? That's sellin' yerself a little short, ain't it? If you have the physical ability to twist a screwdriver, you can easily maintain a modern RC car. It's not rocket science, mate. You just need the right tools, and your trusty owners manual with at least the exploded parts view, if not a full maintenance manual with nice pictures an all. Just, start at the outside, and work your way in. Little bit at a time. Take a little off, put it back on. Then go deeper. You'll build confidence quickly. Soon you'll be tearing the whole thing down and putting it back together by memory and feel. You can get "starter kit" tool sets for $20-$40 that have all you'll need tool-wise.

Chargers and batteries: Yeah! the ones included SUCK, what'd ya expect for "free"? You have a Traxxas, might as well stick with the brand and get one of their new chargers for $60. I'll assume the included battery was like a 6-cell 2500mah NiMh pack? Probably want to get a new one if that one has any age on it. BUT.....

If you think the brushed motor is shot, you might well consider going to a VXL system. Brushless is better man. They just don't quit like a brushed motor inevitably does, when the brushes wear out. (The ol' Titan 12T, like most RTR brushed motors, are use 'em and toss 'em types) But if the motor is still running ok, it's perfectly suitable for learning how to drive.

So, with a little more info, maybe some pics or video, we can help get you sorted out.

Cheers!