Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

RC tire glue

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 11:42 AM
Justwayne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC tire glue

What can I use as tire glue? I tried automotive sealer and it broke the bead again next day. Will anything locally work or does it need to be tire glue. My dad suggest super glue but I have a feeling itll dry to quick or can I just lift bead and super glue it
Old 09-22-2017, 11:50 AM
Addicted2Flying

yea super glue works. watch you dont glue your fingers should be able to do it in sections if need to, but this may be a permanent fix depending on how much you use. I have never done it but i had a friend that has used it. I never really ask about it. I would think you would have to cut the rubber of the tire and file away the super glued rubber if you ever wanted to remove and reuse rim.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:11 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

If you don't want to order tire/RC hobby specific CA glue (super glue), you should be able to find super glue at automotive, or craft stores. I prefer the thin CA glues to allow the glue to run around tire and wheel quickly. If you are just starting out, I'd suggest finding some medium CA glue to allow a bit more time to work the tire and wheel. Watch some videos of tire gluing techniques, and always clean tires and wheels before going ahead and gluing. There is an "art" to gluing tires, and everyone has their way of doing it correctly .
Old 09-22-2017, 02:40 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

You can spend a lot for special formula CA tire glues. I don't know what is so special about them. The trick is to have great prepping (clean surfaces). Currently in use on my tires....Great Planes Pro CA Glue Thin 1/2 oz TowerHobbies.com
and I love these to make tire gluing so much easier...Zap Adhesives Extender Tips (24) TowerHobbies.com
Plenty of super glue and tip choices out there. I have no complaints with the Great Planes glue. I really can't tell a difference from the Bob Smith Industries glue that I've used for years, and the current CA that I'm using. And if you want to keep super glue "fresh" and usable for a long time...store in frig. Only do this if no kids are around of course. Safety first.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:22 PM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

while just about any CA will get the job done, there's a lot more to be said about tire prep, doesn't matter how high of the quality of glue you use, if you don't degrease the tires and wheels first, then expect poor results. Age of glue is also important as glue tends to gum up and thicken over time, too thin of glue is also no good, you want a quality medium glue that sets up in about 10-20 seconds... if it sets too quick, that's bad... and too long is just a waste of time.

I've tried over a dozen brands of CA over the years, and I find that it's the applicator that is the most important feature... AKA tire glue has given me the best results and my tires never unglue when I follow these steps:
How To Glue Tires Like A Pro - RC Car Action

One tip they forgot to include is that you want to apply the glue, work the bead of the tire into the wheel, then quickly pull it away and then reseat the beat so it acts like contact cement to get the strongest bond possible
Old 09-23-2017, 03:10 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

The tire glues I've used in the past were a rubberized (it seemed) CA glue - when it dried, it dried to a matte black rubbery feel/look. It held as well as regular CA glue, but dried matte black - which I liked. It was also twice or three times the cost of regular CA glue ( ) which is what I use now (medium vis.).

My prep procedure is pretty easy and common sensical (I think).. scuff the entire bead seating area for the tire with a dremel and sanding disc, grinding bit, etc. When it's roughed up, the glue has more surface area to bond to and it will have a better bond than a smooth surface. Clean well/remove dust (not a bad idea to wash with a little soap and water and dry thoroughly).

Remove foams from tires. Wash tires in soap and water and dry thoroughly. When dry, use a Dremel and fine sanding drum to rough up the tire bead. Rough up all surfaces of the bead that will get glued. Clean thoroughly and remove dust/debris. Wipe bead with a clean rag and acetone on each tire. Get a clean rag if your rag gets discolored. I use Viva paper towels for this - they're pretty tough. Blue "Shop towels" work super good too. If you did it all right, you should be able to glue the wheel beads and seat the tires and be in good shape. Do watch some videos on the actual gluing part. It's good info.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:51 PM
Justwayne

Thanks I glued tire super looks to be a little off but ran just fine. Anyone know if the esc is suppose make a constant beep forward/reverse throttle. It's been months or so just noticed today the thing beep on thottle and stops in neutral.
​​​​​​
Old 10-10-2017, 10:42 AM
JP racing videos

great choices yes, i prefer Muchmore glue. Its like water, and glues really well and also it dryes really fast. when its so water type, it goes very well in every hole and edges.