Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

It's here, a BLAST from the past!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 09:11 AM
Darion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's here, a BLAST from the past!!

So, I picked up a Optima 4wd retro or rerelease if ya like. The Optima was my second RC car I had bought as a teen and I couldn't resist getting it again. Javelin was my first, hmmmm. Anyway here is what I would like some help with. This car isn't going to get beat on and will not be raced but i would like it to be functional. Whats a good esc motor combo that won't break the bank, say $90 to $180 range, given it wall basically be a garage queen? lol. Currently my charging equipment is flexable so lipo isn't a must but would figure on brushless. Thanks for the help.

PC

Last edited by Darion; 10-18-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:34 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm so jealous! I was all ecstatic when I learned of the Optima's return. I was all set to relive my second RC car days as well, but felt the Optima's price tag was a bit high. And now with the return of the Javelin, the urge is even greater to wait in line for one .

Something like a Hobbywing Max10 ESC Combo with 3652SL 3300KV sensorless, or 13.5T motor would be a great setup if wanting some good power in reserve. I'm a bit on the conservative side these days with speed. What motor you should install all depends on the your intent for the RC, and where you run it. For me, and rough backyard track, motors over 3000Kv are generally too much to keep power transferred to the ground in my 2wd RCs.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:15 AM
Darion

Thanks for the reply. Yeah the price was high, did manage to get $30 off with Tower. Anyway, was it worth it, for me yeah it was. The box and packaging was about the same and that feeling alone, seeing it all over again was worth the price for me. Hope ya get that Javelin!

As for use, I'm mostly looking for reliable, not fast or comp ready. Will use it outside with my son, yard and street, when he is using his Stampede 4x4. I was thinking of building it retro with a Novac T4 and 540 brushed mod motor but thats not likely to be reliable. Lol, cool a heck though.

Thanks for the suggestion I'll have a look, can't wait to start the build, going to be a great winter project.

Take care,

PC
Old 10-19-2017, 02:00 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

If going brushed, a Yeah Racing Hackmoto 17T motor has been serving my stadium truck with some good power during the year. I just gotta gear the motor right, or heat will sneak up on me.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:01 PM
Darion

Read your review on those, I'll have a look.

PC
Old 11-12-2017, 12:49 PM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Darion
So, I picked up a Optima 4wd retro or rerelease if ya like. The Optima was my second RC car I had bought as a teen and I couldn't resist getting it again. Javelin was my first, hmmmm. Anyway here is what I would like some help with. This car isn't going to get beat on and will not be raced but i would like it to be functional. Whats a good esc motor combo that won't break the bank, say $90 to $180 range, given it wall basically be a garage queen? lol. Currently my charging equipment is flexable so lipo isn't a must but would figure on brushless. Thanks for the help.

PC
Hi Darion, I built an Optima back in 1988 when I was stationed up on the Japanese Island of Hokkaido. I built it with no written English instructions and it was a blast to build! When I was in San Diego I had a guy buy it from me as it was the best 1/10 scale car I ever had. But I would like to build the new version and it would be great to have but I don't really have a good place to run it!
Michael Johnston