Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Compatible Car ESC for outrunner motor?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Compatible Car ESC for outrunner motor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 11:15 PM
eranomo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compatible Car ESC for outrunner motor?

Hi everyone.
I am building 2 Airbouts (Airplane setup on top of a flat bottom/Catamaran boat hull).Since there are no inrunner motors available that can efficiently handle an airplane prop (14x9) I had to go for outrunner motor.
I am browsing for compatible ESC but since Airplane ESCs has no reverse I have to look for waterproofed car ESCs or boat ESCs, Some Car ESCs comes waterproofed and they are cheaper than boat ESCs, reliable and doesn’t need water cooling so I chose to go with Car ESC (installed on top of the hull so air & water can flow in).Other than cooling features – Is there any problem connecting Car ESC to an outrunner motor?I read somewhere that there is a problem related to the number of poles inside the motor but I didn’t find anywhere a good explanation about it or the consequences of doing so, does anyone have a clue if this kind of setup is problematic?
Thanks in advance…Eran
Old 10-25-2017, 04:25 AM
vinmansbrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I had to look this up and so far, it seems that # of poles doesn't matter to an esc. What happens is the increase in poles is used to make more torque without the use of a gearbox, but the motor turns slower. In order to compensate for the lower rpm, you have to increase voltage to the motor. I think this might be the issue with some esc. You would want an esc capable of higher voltages of a 3s or 4s.

rcuniverse /forum/brushed-brushless-motors-speed-controls-gear-drives-123/1640041-poles-motor.html

This was about 5 minutes of looking before work. But I've never known poles to matter really.