Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

LiPo damage a non-LiPo ESC?

Old 10-22-2017, 05:34 PM
GotNoRice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LiPo damage a non-LiPo ESC?

From what I understood, the main issue with an ESC being LiPo compatible is it having an LVC. I thought that was just to protect the battery, and not really a big deal if you are able to use a cheap Low-Voltage Alarm connected to the balance cable.

My rule of thumb has always been that anything that can handle a 7-Cell Nimh pack (8.4v at full charge) should be able to handle a 2s LiPo (also 8.4v at full charge).

What confuses me is that I have come across many saying that they killed their old ESC doing this. All I can figure is that maybe the longer run-time caused their ESC to overheat? Otherwise is there anything i'm missing? How else would a LiPo damage a pre-LiPo ESC?
Old 10-22-2017, 07:01 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

What are the ESC's and motor's specs?
Old 10-24-2017, 03:13 PM
vinmansbrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a stock dromida, stuck a 2s lipo on it and no issues. I got a lva to hook to it and just went. I can't imagine that thing has state of the art electronics.