Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Making a vehicle from scratch

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 06:38 AM
LamarTSGC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making a vehicle from scratch

I'm attempting to recreate NASA's MRV. I don't need it to go fast or anything I just need a car that has the functions of the actual MRV. I have absolutely no experience with RC anything so I didn't know where to start for the project. I was hoping there was a kit that had motors and the controls but I may just be dreaming. I'll be 3D printing parts to accommodate for whatever components are needed so that won't be an issue for me. I'd prefer the smallest available parts but I will try my best to scale it to match with anything. Any guidance is greatly appreciated and if you have questions for specifics I'll be happy to answer them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Front%20Image%201388x1050%20MRV.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	2245157
Old 11-16-2017, 09:02 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ummmmm...... Id recommend starting off with something easier... this build would challenge experienced builders. the steering and driveline are definitely not run of the mill.

but..... thats now how I roll.... i love diving in head first

if it was me.... I would start with the drive line hubs

say some micro gear head motors and some wheels, then draft ideas on how to combine the 2 similar to the pics.... then make 3 more.....IMO this is the most crucial part as it will determine the size and scale.

one tip.... try to avoid 3d printed parts... with all the finishing they require to be smooth its far easier to scratch build the body. chassis and hubs from alloy and plastic construct