Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Questions about new big purchase.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 06:29 PM
CBren32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about new big purchase.

Hey guys, so shopping for a new RTR or mostly assembled kit for my holiday purchase. Budget is no problem, and I plan to make this an expensive purchase. I was told that the speed of the 1/5 scale buggy's won't be comparable to the speed of say a 1/10 scale jato 3.3 or something of that sort. Is that true or are you able to really get some of these higher end 1/5 and 1/8 scale buggies or MT's into the 60+ MPH range with the proper upgrading, planning and execution set in place, of course? Thanks.

Also, if you don't mind throwing a few suggestions on a 1/5 or 1/8 scale RC to look into purchasing, that would be great. I am going for speed, but want to be able to take it through grass, dirt and small things like that a truggy should be able to handle, but also very open to monster trucks. Matter of fact, been really looking into the new Mad Crusher Nitro version, looks amazing.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:47 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

You got a lot going on with size of platforms and space needed. A 1/5 scale platform and a 1/8 scale platform going 40mph are two completely different animals. A 1/5 RC takes a lot of room to maneuver (not that I own/driven one). I'd check out some vids of anything you plan to purchase. If you got the real estate and $$$, then the possibilities are numerous, and awesome. Going super fast (how fast is that?) with a larger scale RC, you will need smaller obstacles, and smoother terrain to run on. Moderate speeds will allow more controllable airtime dirt throwing fun IMO. I'd flat out tell you to get an electric 1/8 scale truggy for an all around general great RC that will handle most anything (within reason of course).

You have to figure out what you like as far as the type of RC. If you like the looks of monster trucks, then start there. I don't know your RC background. With LiPo batteries and brushless motors, you can have all the power you think you can handle. If you got nitro/gas running through your veins, great!
Old 11-26-2017, 09:07 AM
CBren32

Originally Posted by RustyUs
You got a lot going on with size of platforms and space needed. A 1/5 scale platform and a 1/8 scale platform going 40mph are two completely different animals. A 1/5 RC takes a lot of room to maneuver (not that I own/driven one). I'd check out some vids of anything you plan to purchase. If you got the real estate and $$$, then the possibilities are numerous, and awesome. Going super fast (how fast is that?) with a larger scale RC, you will need smaller obstacles, and smoother terrain to run on. Moderate speeds will allow more controllable airtime dirt throwing fun IMO. I'd flat out tell you to get an electric 1/8 scale truggy for an all around general great RC that will handle most anything (within reason of course).

You have to figure out what you like as far as the type of RC. If you like the looks of monster trucks, then start there. I don't know your RC background. With LiPo batteries and brushless motors, you can have all the power you think you can handle. If you got nitro/gas running through your veins, great!
Amazing reply, thank you very much sir. Yes, the nitro/gas vein is absolutely pumping in my body. I have a Rustler VXL brushless as well that I can make a project to get that going up to high speeds if I ever feel the urge to use those annoying sounding electrics. I'll be purchasing a nitro or gas and you hit the nail right on the head, real estate is good and money is planned to be spent on this hobby.

After a bit more research I've come to love the LST XXL-2, Jato 3.3 (Yes I know it's 1/10 but damnnnn I'd love to have one of these monsters, so quick), I've also had my eye on the new Mad Crusher MT and lastly been looking into the Dunerunner from Losi I believe (haven't done much on this product. Now, I've named 2 MT's and a Stadium truck.

Honestly, if they had a 1/8 scale stadium truck like the Jato, I'd be sold without question but I just haven't found anything similar to that. Now yes, I could also just go purchase a new Jato 3.3 and then just break the bank (not literally) in after market parts, but not sure how much I want to do that. Really trying to stick to the big boys in 1/8 and 1/5 for a new purchase
Old 11-26-2017, 04:20 PM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

I've spoken with an avid 1/5 racer not too long ago and he was telling me that none of the 1/8 cars could keep up with his 1/5 car on the same 1/5 track... see similar results when comparing 1/8 buggy to larger 1/8 truggy lap times... the larger the vehicle, the faster the lap times given a track size that can reasonably accommodate the larger vehicle.

If you've got the space for 1/5, then I say go for it, but if you think you might ever visit a local race track in your area, then I would reconsider 1/8 scale with that size platform being more popular for track selection.

If money was no object, then I would stay away from the RTR brands like Traxxas... I would get a race grade kit which includes all the upgrades in one shot. I'm not familiar with 1/5 brands, but if I would get one for myself today, I'd probably go with the 4WD Buggy from Losi, this would also be one of the few brands that I would make an exception for considering a RTR: Losi: LOS05010 K&N DBXL RTR: Losi (LOS05001)

If I was gonna go with a 1/8 vehicle then I would go with Tekno:
https://www.teknorc.com/

Good Luck!
Old 11-28-2017, 03:48 PM
CBren32

Originally Posted by RustyUs

What 1/8 or 1/5 scale electric truggy or MT would you recommend?
Old 12-04-2017, 12:56 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Any 1/8 scale kit is what I'd recommend. Short course trucks, truggies, buggies...there all good kits basically. If I was starting from scratch, like bill delong said, Tekno. Build it, and put all the great gear in it that you want. Monster trucks and 1/8 scale kits...I don't know of any. There are plenty of 1/8 scale RTR monster trucks though. If MTs are your thing, then you will have to ask yourself solid axle, or independent suspension?

I use to dream of owning a nitro RC. No so much anymore. That dream has all but died in my head. Gas? I'm still waiting for somebody to perfect a 1/8 scale engine.When I see a 1/8 gasoline engine that runs worth a darn, then my interest will "spark" up again.

Don't let talk you out of combustion engines. There is only a few places to go for 1/5 scale stuff. I believe Losi is the place to go for your 1/5 scale kicks.

If you want big 1/5 scale monster truck and combustion, again, I think you have to look at Losi for that...Monster Truck XL. Then you have to consider a top speed of 30-ish in stock form.