RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

ROAR Class Clarification?

Old 01-12-2018, 12:32 PM
JT_Santini

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default ROAR Class Clarification?

Hi guys, total novice here. I'm interested in getting into 1/10 carpet racing with my local hobby shop but I'm really confused by the ROAR Class divisions/requirements (reference rules: roarracing.com/rules.php). Can anyone point out the key differences between what ROAR considers Stock, Super Stock and Modified in 1/10 off road? I understand this might be a complicated answer. I'm planning on going down to my LHS this weekend and don't want to be completely clueless. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-12-2018, 08:28 PM
bill_delong

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah, you need to check your local track rules but will explain how our club operates.

Stock is loosely referred as 17.5T motor in 2WD Buggy
Super Stock is a 13.5T motor in 4WD Buggy
Modified is no motor restriction but all classes are limited to 2S LiPo
Stock motors can get very expensive if you want to be competitive, but for someone just getting started, having too much speed can be detrimental... I would just get a cheap HobbyWing combo and get LOTS of practice time.

Be sure to buy the most popular chassis that is raced at your club and ask for a copy of a setup sheet from a local pro, ask for help in getting your car properly setup so it's easy to drive.

I don't want to drown you with too much information but here's a good start to get familiar with setups:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Set_Up_Guide.pdf
Views:	5
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	2250893

Which club will you be racing at, can you share a link to their website?
Old 01-15-2018, 11:01 AM
JT_Santini

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok perfect, that makes sense. I live on Long Island, NY and will probably get started with: islandraceway.com
Old 01-15-2018, 11:46 AM
bill_delong

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the link to your track, it looks like Friday's are the highest turnout where most folks only run 1 class, and the most popular class in your area is 17.5T 2WD Stock Buggy. That's probably going to be the best class for you to get started in.

I see they posted a link to their RCTech thread here:
https://www.rctech.net/forum/northea...ng-island.html

That thread has tons of useful information and appears to be relatively current. It appears they recently switched from clay to turf and ProLine Z3 Pyramids are the most popular tire at your club.

Our club recently did the same and I can say that the single best car for turf at our track is the XRay XB2 2018.... very important to note that there are earlier versions of this car , typically 1 release per year with the year as part of the version number. If your track doesn't carry XRay parts then don't bother running this car... chances are most are running Associated or Losi based on some track photos I've seen on their Facebook page.

If money is tight, then I think the B6 would be a very decent middle of the road kit to get, though not sure who has them in stock right now:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/rc10b6-team-kit-asc90011

It's very important that you get the turf/carpet edition and don't get the clay/dirt edition, they are worlds apart and it will be very expensive to convert over to the other surface type.

Best of luck!

Search this Thread